Personal Website on Resume?

try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys!

I'm in the middle of landing a NOC job, and was checking out my resume for any improvement when I thought about this. This is of coarse nothing new, but what do you guys think about having a myname.me website on your resume? It could certainly shifts things up a notch with the employer seeing beyond your resume/cv. I think it will increase the chances of getting the job in many ways, and decrease the chances of having your resume thrown into the nice round bin.

What are your thoughts? If you have your own site, how has it helped you? Any pointers you could share?

It would be cool to see your personal/career websites too! So feel free to post the address.
--WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
==================
>> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
(I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This has been addressed several times here before and there have been those of the yes and no opinion. Personally I think it's not a bad idea. If you have a technical bog it's even better.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    This has been addressed several times here before and there have been those of the yes and no opinion. Personally I think it's not a bad idea. If you have a technical bog it's even better.

You're right. I just saw some older threads with the same topic.

MODs can delete..
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Personally I think it's not a bad idea. If you have a technical blog it's even better.

I agree icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Can't quite grasp how this works. If I Google my name, it'll return dozens of responses from around the world, none of which are me. I don't have a Facebook account and seem to be holding onto anonymity pretty well so far. How can they determine who is/isn't me, just by location?

Depends on how unique your name is, ultimately.
  • Pierre MikhailPierre Mikhail Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a really good idea, BUT you must have the website setup in a way where it is something the employer you want to impress actually like what he/she sees..

Also, having scans of your certifications and having also a few extra little gadgets would make the employer even more impressed with you..
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny to
    (='.'=) your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(") domination.
  • Pierre MikhailPierre Mikhail Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is ONLY done by government departments, otherwise you should not have to agree to them checking out your past or you credit history. If they do this is invasion of privacy and they should get fired from their job..
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny to
    (='.'=) your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(") domination.