What do you say in an Interview?

za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer. I worked for a company for one year it was ok but they were not honest with me and I didn't get a written offer so they really didn't give me what they've promised to give (money wise). It was a managing position (team leader of 8 employees)

It's a very famous company in Syria so every time I'm in an interview I'm asked this question, why did you quit your job at XXX company?

So I really don't know what to say, I know you should not talk trash about your X company during an interview so I have to lie here or what? In general how can you answer this question?

Any suggestions would be great, this is the question that I always fail to answer icon_sad.gif

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try to be diplomatic. Say something like " I believed I should have been paid more for my services so I decided to look elsewhere" or something to that effect. Don't trashtalk or be smart allecky but tell the truth (or most of it) diplomatically and respectfully.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    za3bour wrote: »
    I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer. I worked for a company for one year it was ok but they were not honest with me and I didn't get a written offer so they really didn't give me what they've promised to give (money wise). It was a managing position (team leader of 8 employees)

It's a very famous company in Syria so every time I'm in an interview I'm asked this question, why did you quit your job at XXX company?

So I really don't know what to say, I know you should not talk trash about your X company during an interview so I have to lie here or what? In general how can you answer this question?

Any suggestions would be great, this is the question that I always fail to answer icon_sad.gif

Simply say that while you were ready to commit to the company you were unable to agree terms. That's life.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Simply say that while you were ready to commit to the company you were unable to agree terms. That's life.

Cool, I like this, " we were not able to agree terms" thank you, they did gave me a very good recommendation so should I mention this after they ask this question?
    earweed wrote: »
    Try to be diplomatic. Say something like " I believed I should have been paid more for my services so I decided to look elsewhere" or something to that effect. Don't trashtalk or be smart allecky but tell the truth (or most of it) diplomatically and respectfully.

Well I was honest once and I said that I did leave beause I was not being paid of what I deserved and that caused me to lose the job (according to the HR manager).

I think diplomatic is the key word here, the problem is that in life I'm very honest person (I think I am) it's hard for me to be diplomatic but I think I must be.
    Cool, I like this, " we were not able to agree terms" thank you, they did gave me a very good recommendation so should I mention this after they ask this question?

Yes you should. Unable to agree terms and left on good terms. No big deal.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well I was honest once and I said that I did leave beause I was not being paid of what I deserved and that caused me to lose the job (according to the HR manager).

I think diplomatic is the key word here, the problem is that in life I'm very honest person (I think I am) it's hard for me to be diplomatic but I think I must be.
    I think Turgon put it best. I think the more diplomatic you are, the better. Your new employer is going to look at you as someone who may, one day, be a former employee.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I think Turgon put it best. I think the more diplomatic you are, the better. Your new employer is going to look at you as someone who may, one day, be a former employee.

Yes I think I should, thanks for you and Turgon for the valuable advice.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I once didn't make it through a 3 month probation period because I wasn't fitting in. And it was true; I couldn't work my way into the teams way of doing things. I thought they were lazy, negative, and reactive. I once got into trouble for doing what I sincerely believed was the right thing to do. What do I tell people? "I couldn't agree to the company's work ethic," with an example. People understand and relate.
    just say the job didnt workout as it was too laid back
    Turgon wrote: »
    just say the job didnt workout as it was too laid back

I agree with this, just be honest about it.