Options

Vodafone down in UK

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
And dont i bloody know it!!! can't even call my wiife icon_sad.gif

Vodafone down

What no reundency??

not a good show, surely they must have some DR plans !!!
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    My work phone is nice and quiet :)

But yes - bad state of affairs!
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    What no reundency??
    There is redundancy but I'd like to see you design a network which can offer no downtime at all for every customer in the country if somebody breaks into one of your main comms hubs and steals/breaks everything. You don't have an unlimited budget BTW.

Having a hot/cold standby data center is relatively easy but when it involves a major comms hub then it becomes much more difficult. The Vodafone network appears to have multiple large comms nodes around the country which serve the surrounding regions. A region can go down and the rest of the network will route around it but everything within that region is down until it can be repaired.

Quite a few telco providers have a portable telephone exchange system in a truck which they can drive over to a damaged or faulty exchange and plug in. Still takes time though as "plugging it in" doesn't involve a giant plug on the side of the building with millions of pins.
    can't even call my wiife
    PSTN :P
    not a good show, surely they must have some DR plans !!!
    They do and they're working on it.

I can understand you being annoyed at Vodafone but blaming their infrastructure when it really isn't their fault is a bit harsh. There is only so much you can do to prevent this sort of problem occurring and any DR plans would involve time to repair. Its never going to be instant unless you've got extremely large budgets i.e. military or government.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh I not really that peed of to be fair, always the office phone like you say.
    Quite a few telco providers have a portable telephone exchange system in a truck which they can drive over to a damaged or faulty exchange and plug in. Still takes time though as "plugging it in" doesn't involve a giant plug on the side of the building with millions of pins

Actuly last place I worked we did have exactly this, on the outside of the server room builsigns, a fat wad of fiber connections.

drive up lorry, plug in 5 min reepatching and of you go... if only thats really how long it took in practice when we tested it ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    It seems I'm in a part of the country that aint affected, was using 3G over lunch without any issues at all.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    It seems I'm in a part of the country that aint affected, was using 3G over lunch without any issues at all.

Do they have 3G over in that part of the country? :D

I kid I kid, my better half is from the Barnsley area and if she saw my statement, I'd be buried under the patio when I got home.

It dropped for a short while in Manchester this morning, around 20mins or so but has been fine since. Seeing mindless acts of theft/vandalism like this just makes my blood boil.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    bertieb wrote: »
    Do they have 3G over in that part of the country? :D

I kid I kid, my better half is from the Barnsley area and if she saw my statement, I'd be buried under the patio when I got home.

It dropped for a short while in Manchester this morning, around 20mins or so but has been fine since. Seeing mindless acts of theft/vandalism like this just makes my blood boil.

Of course we do, 3G stands for 3 goats right?!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1