Cert Advice - currently studying

jasesxjasesx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive played with computers my whole life, and i know this means nothing to getting a job in I.T. Searched many threads on what certs to get in order to get my foot into the I.T industry. After doing plenty of research i have purchased and just begun studying for the following:
MCSA/MCSE Managing & Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Training Guide (Exam 70-290)
MCSA/MCSE Windows XP Professional Study Guide (70-270), 3rd Ed.
MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide: Exams 70 – 271 and 70 – 272

Can anyone with experience with certs let me know if im on the right track and these certifications still being valid.
Cheers :)

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you want to end up doing once you get your foot in the door?

A good goal would be the MCSA, here's the link for it's requirements.
  • jasesxjasesx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheers mate! Hopefully Systems admin
    looks like ill stick with Exam 70-290 also 70-270
    and pick up 70-291 and maybe comp TIA (prob not very creditable now days)
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jasesx wrote: »
    maybe comp TIA (prob not very creditable now days)[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Why isn't CompTIA credible? Their certs have been around a long time and can get your foot in the door. You can also use the A+ and Net+ OR the Security+ as an elective for the MCSA, should you choose to go that route.

I believe the MCDST is going to retire soon. You would probably be better off working on the Windows 7 exams.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Why isn't CompTIA credible? Their certs have been around a long time and can get your foot in the door. You can also use the A+ and Net+ OR the Security+ as an elective for the MCSA, should you choose to go that route.

I believe the MCDST is going to retire soon. You would probably be better off working on the Windows 7 exams.

This is a correct statement. The exams for the MCDST will be out by the end of the month - although there is a three month period after for people to continue taking the exams. But my understanding is that they must be scheduled before the end of March and taken before the end of June.

But if the OP has the intention of taking the 270 then the materail purchased for the 271/272 will not be totally wasted. All of it will be a usefull starting point for the 270.

As far as I am concerned the MCDST is dead. People need to move on. Windows 8 is around the corner. I don't care how long Windows XP is going to be used - I occassionally see NT 4 in the wild - but you will not see me lamenting the retirement of the exams for the MCSE NT.

My suggestion for a cert path would be the following:
    Study your MCDST material and the material for the 270/290 exams and perform the labs. Take about 6 months to study the material in all the books so you have a big picture of what is goin on. The begin to focus on the following:
    MCP: 70-270 (if you must.)
    MCITP EST7 (2 exams)
    Network+
    MCITP EDA7 (one additional exam)
    An Office application cert to help round you out in support.

This should take you about a year to a year and a half if you are starting from scratch. You might want to throw in the A+, but I question its usefullness now-a-days. The important thing is that you really study the MCSA level materail as a unit. It is almost an issue of recursion.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    . The exams for the MCDST will be out by the end of the month - although there is a three month period after for people to continue taking the exams. But my understanding is that they must be scheduled before the end of March and taken before the end of June.

care to clarify? i have 1 test scheduled for may. so is march 31st the deadline to schedule a test?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    care to clarify? i have 1 test scheduled for may. so is march 31st the deadline to schedule a test?

The time at which you schedule the exam and the time you are scheduling the exam for are distinct things. My understanding is that as of the end of the month no one will be able to schedule a new exam. All exams must be taken before the June deadline.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The time at which you schedule the exam and the time you are scheduling the exam for are distinct things. My understanding is that as of the end of the month no one will be able to schedule a new exam. All exams must be taken before the June deadline.
    ok thanks. i already had my 272 scheduled from the free voucher ms gave me. so it looks like i need to schedule my 271 exam (for a later test date) before march 31st and i should be fine?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • jasesxjasesx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey guys just wanna say thanks for all the advice! you guys have been a great help :)