Options

Liar liar Time Warner Cable on fire!

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
Today my Internet connection went out for half an hour, I called someone up on the other side of the county who also has TWC for their ISP and their Internet connection was down as well. I then called up TWC, they denied the fact that any such outage occurred and even tried to schedule a day to have someone sent to my house to back up their claim. Afterwords, they tried to sell me some overpriced cable package (as usual). They have done this in the past and of course canceled the appointment to have someone sent to my house a few days later.

Gotta love local government sanctioned monopolies . . . .

Comments

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take your case to Twitter! That generally gets resolved better since everybody's watching: Time Warner Cable (TWCableHelp) on Twitter
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    The whole U.S. is screwed up because of service provider monopolies. In my area it's comcast. I've been told by two technicians that they're due for an infrastructure upgrade and my problem is a "regional problem".....but why bother? If you want cable around here it's comcast or nothing. I feel your pain.

Oh and did you see the article about AT&T capping at 150GB per month starting in May? Bummer! AT&T Implements Broadband Caps: Broadband News and Analysis Instead of improving our services, let's just blame the consumer and charge them more money.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Makes me glad for Comcast and FiOS in my area...shudder...Never thought I'd say that....

Guess ATT has to make up some cash flow from the people that jumped to Verizon for the iPhone.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just love Broadband services. I recently upgraded a dozen of our offices to cable from DSL. Soon as I unplugged the DSL line, WHAM! My phone was ringing asking why the connection went off line.

Told the "rep" it is very simple. Your speeds suck, the promised upgrades never materialized, and we went with a better deal. Boy oh boy did they quickly turn that over to the sales rep we had, and she was begging and pleading us to come back. Sorry, we have a VOIP project coming on line late this summer, had to make the change. I'm still getting calls from her, checking up on the service, seeing if they can earn our business.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    The whole U.S. is screwed up because of service provider monopolies. In my area it's comcast. I've been told by two technicians that they're due for an infrastructure upgrade and my problem is a "regional problem".....but why bother? If you want cable around here it's comcast or nothing. I feel your pain.

Oh and did you see the article about AT&T capping at 150GB per month starting in May? Bummer! AT&T Implements Broadband Caps: Broadband News and Analysis Instead of improving our services, let's just blame the consumer and charge them more money.

That does blow having a capped connection. I wouldn't be surprised if TWC decided to try out capped plans again.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LINX had a big issue ... maybe its related ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I switched from DSL to Cable back to DSL, reason was price. I really couldn't justify triple the price for faster speeds. Not sure how without the federal government running lines across the continent get rid of monopolies though? I could get behind a new sort of highway,railroad government initiative to run the lines and charge content providers and ISPs access fees. Just doesn't seem to be much incentive for ISPs to upgrade or run new lines.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    That does blow having a capped connection. I wouldn't be surprised if TWC decided to try out capped plans again.
    The reason TWC's plans didn't work was because they announced ridiculously low 5GB - 40GB plans, which, EVERYONE would have been effected.

This talk about bandwidth caps makes you wonder what's going to happen to microsoft's "cloud"
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    The reason TWC's plans didn't work was because they announced ridiculously low 5GB - 40GB plans, which, EVERYONE would have been effected.

This talk about bandwidth caps makes you wonder what's going to happen to microsoft's "cloud"

It just seems the bandwidth caps are pretty high though. It would seem on the consumer level would impact people torrenting stuff. Yeah I know plenty of legit consumers torrent legit stuff but 150gb?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    It just seems the bandwidth caps are pretty high though. It would seem on the consumer level would impact people torrenting stuff. Yeah I know plenty of legit consumers torrent legit stuff but 150gb?

Well, this may have an impact on me. I don't torrent but I do stream a lot of video. I do not have a television subscription so I use Netflix and Hulu Plus. Not sure exactly what my usage would be but i'm almost certain this will be an issue. I wonder if they will have a plan that will increase the cap, because I refuse to have regular cable or satellite. icon_sad.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I just love Broadband services. I recently upgraded a dozen of our offices to cable from DSL. Soon as I unplugged the DSL line, WHAM! My phone was ringing asking why the connection went off line.

Told the "rep" it is very simple. Your speeds suck, the promised upgrades never materialized, and we went with a better deal. Boy oh boy did they quickly turn that over to the sales rep we had, and she was begging and pleading us to come back. Sorry, we have a VOIP project coming on line late this summer, had to make the change. I'm still getting calls from her, checking up on the service, seeing if they can earn our business.

If SPs concentrated on keeping business instead of losing business she wouldn't be making those calls now. But honestly they all suck, google any service provider and you will see tales of woe. Then again hardly anyone feels the need to go online and tell the world about how great the service is, unless they work for the company that is.

Just as service levels have disintegrated for home users in the computer space expect the same for SME's from anyone providing a service. Economies of scale and all just dont make it worth the companies while keeping individual cases happy it seems. Social media goes on fire for a week or two until the next topic flares up.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    ehnde wrote: »

I have verizon and Comcast in my area so because of the tight competition, I don't have to many complaints.

They also have caps. With Comcast my cap is at 25 gigs/ month
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well, this may have an impact on me. I don't torrent but I do stream a lot of video. I do not have a television subscription so I use Netflix and Hulu Plus. Not sure exactly what my usage would be but i'm almost certain this will be an issue. I wonder if they will have a plan that will increase the cap, because I refuse to have regular cable or satellite. icon_sad.gif

I use an antenna for OTA television and stream stuff over Netflix. I know if you watch a lot of Netflix that can eat up the cap.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I use an antenna for OTA television and stream stuff over Netflix. I know if you watch a lot of Netflix that can eat up the cap.

I just don't watch enough TV in general to make it worth my money. Now the 20 bucks I spend each month of both subscriptions is exactly what I need to spend for my entertainment. Hard enough streaming with a 3Mbps connection, now they want to cap it as well. Jackasses.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Are people looking at this from a different perspective of "how much bandwidth" we consume and are comparing it to television? Television typically was over the air transmissions so lines did not have to run additional lines, it was the broadcast tower that mattered. Now people are using broadband to replace cable which replaced over the air broadcasts. Does the media streaming have an actual impact on AT&T networks? Are they operating under a profit margin dependent on a model of people only using email and web surfing? If it's only going to impact 2 percent of the population are they trying to get us ready for tiered services which already exist but it's based on speed not amounts. So when technology improves and speeds do as well we are already used to the idea of paying more for unlimited downloads.