C|EH v7

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Didn't v6 just come out?

https://eccouncil.org/cehv7.aspx
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea. You will still have about 6 months to take CEH6 though. I plan to sit the CEH in a few months (after WCNA), probably around June.
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    It's all about the green ones - money talks! I might tackle the CEH in the future, but I already have my hands full with SANS for the time being.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks promising and it seems like they have invested a lot into this new version.icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    azjag wrote: »
    Didn't v6 just come out?
    Seems like CEHv6 first became available about two years ago. There are threads on here about transitioning form v5 to v6. There was an overlap period were both exams were available.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm taking this one on the 18th :).
    I'm taking this one on the 18th :).

Sweet! how long have you been studying the CEH v7 materialicon_confused.gif:
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Sweet! how long have you been studying the CEH v7 materialicon_confused.gif:

I've been working with v6 material for the longest time on and off (close to 9 months?). I am taking a course in 2 weeks but from what I've been told, since it starts on the 14th, they'll teach both curriculums and I'll get to choose which version to take. It seems like the school ended up getting picked as one of the "lucky" 375 haha.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is the exam changing at all? While the courseware changed from v5 to v6, the exam was basically the same. I passed v6 using a few older v5 books.

I have a difficult time taking EC Council certs seriously. I have a CEH, and I think it's a fine introductory ethical hacking cert. However, there's too much hype and marketing surrounding it. "Meet the Most Advanced Ethical Hacking Training Program in The World," and, "There is No Equal," make it out to be something it simply isn't. I don't see why they can't just call it what it is.

InfoSec Institute, eLearn Security, Offensive Security, SANS, The Hacker Academy, and the up-and-coming Hacking Dojo have significantly better programs/reputations from what I've seen, heard, and experienced.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good deal. I have a firm-provided training class in April, and I was wondering if they were going to cancel it because I doubt that they would be ready to provide the v7 training. Since v6 will still be available for a while, I am sure they will continue on.

EDIT: It appears that v7 will include countermeasures, which is a welcome change.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took my CEH v6 the same week they debuted version 7. Version 6 seemed to be behind the times (Windows NT and XP???) in terms of vulnerabilities and hacks. But I did learn a lot. I might take version 7 for CE credit once I pass my CISSP.
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    The CEHv7 seems to be some great updates....it seems less tool centric and more methodology focus.

I really think labs would be a great idea....but oh well.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    v7 does include labs i believe. something called iLabs...

dynamik,

I think we have to be realistic. Marketing controls most organizations like EC-Council. As for their claims, for some time, they may have indeed been the "most advanced" because they were the first well known provider of EH training. I really don't expect any company to come out and say "our premier certification is an entry level cert." (by premier, in this case I mean it is their flagship cert, not necessarily the best or top of the line.)
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm on the fence about this certification. It appears interesting, but I can't get over the layout of the site and numerous typos. I get the vibe EC-C isn't quite there yet as an organization.

Last year I requested an eligibility code and didn't hear back within the specified time frame. I called and they said something about the overseas office not processing my paperwork yet. The paperwork includes a scan of my driver's license (! overseas processing that!!)
  • holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    w0rd wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about this certification. It appears interesting, but I can't get over the layout of the site and numerous typos. I get the vibe EC-C isn't quite there yet as an organization.

Last year I requested an eligibility code and didn't hear back within the specified time frame. I called and they said something about the overseas office not processing my paperwork yet. The paperwork includes a scan of my driver's license (! overseas processing that!!)

The v7.0 is going to have a much wider question bank than before so hopefully will make this exam much more challenging... brings alot of dis-credit to the certification industry, especially since CEH is 8570 accredited... I know this because I'm one of the exam question writers.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Out of interest are you people self funding CEH training?

Also is the ec-council stuff like CEH and LPT still considered as reputable as other institutes?

I wanna start looking at some serious security stuff but if I have to self fund I wanna get the most initial bang for my buck. Any advice is appreciated.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My training is through my degree program at WGU. I have bought other books to supplement my coursework but the majority of my training came from the school.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    Anyone know of any third party study materials outside of ec-council? Isnt the EC-council material expensive?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pash wrote: »

Also is the ec-council stuff like CEH and LPT still considered as reputable as other institutes?

I wanna start looking at some serious security stuff but if I have to self fund I wanna get the most initial bang for my buck. Any advice is appreciated.

Pash

Try these guys. From what I have heard their trainging is what the CEH should be: eLearnSecurity : Penetration testing and IT Security courses
  • holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote: »

Pash

CEH is legitimate especially if you are looking for a gov-related (security cleared) job as it used to only be the GIAC cert and now it has been pushed to the current CEH cert which is accredited by DoD 8570 (very important, especially in the eyes of the government)