Configuring Frame-Relay in Packet Tracer...

CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I tried this example here TechExams.Net CCNA TechLab: Configuring Frame Relay

But alot of the commands didnt work in packet tracer, plus when I showed the interfaces using the show command, they were still down by protocol and administration even though I issued the no shutdown command on all of them and even set the clock rates... Im not sure what the deal is here.

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Can you post your configs?
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    While I haven't tried setting up frame relay with PT. It could be that not enough of the commands are supported. As Monkerz suggested posting the output of the running config would help. Also what version of Packet Tracer are you using ?.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Can you post your configs?

Yeah, gimme a moment, Im ganna post my configs and their configs in green... and the configs I wasnt able to use in red...
    MosGuy wrote: »
    While I haven't tried setting up frame relay with PT. It could be that not enough of the commands are supported. As Monkerz suggested posting the output of the running config would help. Also what version of Packet Tracer are you using ?.

• CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [SIZE=-1]Router# configure terminal
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Router(config)# hostname frame-switch
    frame-switch(config)#

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config)# frame-relay switching[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config)# interface serial 0
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# no ip address
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# clock rate 64000
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# frame-relay lmi-type ansi
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# frame-relay intf-type dce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]frame-switch(config-if)# no shutdown[/SIZE]

This was the output on ALL the interfaces I configured on the Frame-switch. The other routers were fine with the configurations provided from the instructions (not the same as the above)

The ones in red were not accepted by packet tracer and the ones in green were accepted.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Thats the down side to PT. You can only use what the programmers decided to include. You can, however, create a frame-relay cloud within PT.

See Attachment:
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't do frame-relay switching in packet tracer from a router/switch perspective.

You have to select "Wan emulation" -> "Cloud PT"
    Open it, select config tab, there's a frame relay option there where you can input PVC's and map them to interfaces.
    You can change the DLCI mapping to the interfaces and also the LMI encoding
  • milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Buddy
    I have an alternate suggestion. Packet Tracer 5.3(latest) does not support Frame Relay. There are very very few supported commands there in PT regarding Frame Relay and many other things.

Donload GNS3 and somehow get hold of Cisco IOS images, which will run with GNS3. Practice the Frame Relay on GNS3 and other thigns on PT. I do that personally.

Milan Chatterjee