HR Question - or - Opinion

eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
Would you hire someone who was a union shop steward or chief shop steward? Would you toss the resume after reading that or hold an interview with this person? Would the expierence be looked at as good or bad?

Comments

• jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    That would depend on how relevant that was to the position and the rest of the skill set. That in an of itself shouldn't disqualify you unless you were looking to get on for a company with strong anti-union feelings such as Wal-Mart
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ED,

I would NOT even mention that you were part of any union on your resume, let alone a steward...c'mon man. Even if you were going for a public sector job, you definitely don't want to mention that. (I can only)Imagine how management feels at your shop....

The job I have now, I was asked how I felt about the union. "Knowing the deal," I gave what could be perceived as an honest answer..."unions are not an excuse to not do or know your job."

Unless you are working for your local/national office, leave the union out of your resume so that folks can concentrate on your skillset.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't see what the big deal.is unless somebody is paranoid they want to start a union there. It is organizational experience in my opinion. I know union bashing is "in again" and some people focus on a few bad apples vs the bigger picture. I was in a union for a couple of jobs and sometimes I wish I had one at the past few jobs especially with all the dishonest crap that I saw contracting companies do to people.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal.is unless somebody is paranoid they want to start a union there. It is organizational experience in my opinion. I know union bashing is "in again" and some people focus on a few bad apples vs the bigger picture. I was in a union for a couple of jobs and sometimes I wish I had one at the past few jobs especially with all the dishonest crap that I saw contracting companies do to people.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, I just think that listing union experience would be quite limiting, precisely because "union bashing is 'in again.' "

I'm telling you, if I had given a more "pro-union" answer to my opinion of unions, I'm pretty sure I would not have gotten the job I have now. You won't know if someone who deserved to be fired is going through a union grievance giving management the crap of their lives at the time you're applying for a job (and in my case, that's exactly what was going on...and I'll leave it at that.)

I would still advise not listing any union experience just so that you can at least get the interview at a shop that may very well be anti-union.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah unions are kind of like political allifiations in a way people can go one way or another I probably would want to not bring it up. But if you held a position in one where you handled stuff it might come in handy as experience if you are applying for a project manager position.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Yeah unions are kind of like political allifiations in a way people can go one way or another I probably would want to not bring it up. But if you held a position in one where you handled stuff it might come in handy as experience if you are applying for a project manager position.

Much like if you were a district leader for your local political party (Republican or Democrat...pick one.) A good amount of organizational skills are needed to be a district leader, but I wouldn't put that on a resume either...