Shooting for the A+

DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
Today i decided that I will obtain my A+ before the end of the year. I'm tired of working in construction, Im in college doing my best to better myself and get an IT degree. So my objective is to purchase an A+ study guide in the next couple weeks and study my butt off during the summer. With a little luck and a lot of energon (80s transformers movie for the win!) I'll attempt to test by august.
I do have previous experience working in a LAN center doing basic repair work and have taken CIS courses and passed with relative ease so I'm confident i can do this.

Comments

• 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm tired of working in construction

I know the feeling man. I worked Sheetmetal for three years right out of high school. The money was very good at the time, and it taught me alot of humility, but I'm glad to be done with it. Five years later and my back is still killing me.

With good study habits, and your prior experience I don't see what you couldn't knock out A+ by June or July and start towards your N+ as a end of the year goal. :D
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    2E151 wrote: »
    With good study habits, and your prior experience I don't see what you couldn't knock out A+ by June or July and start towards your N+ as a end of the year goal. :D

+1, this, or maybe even sooner than June or July if your dedicated. It really is an entry-level test, don't psych out about it or anything. Grab the book, and once you realize your comfortable with a majority of the materials, schedule the test for 2 or 3 weeks away and put the pedal to the metal studying away.

For my certs, I actually put together what chapters/videos/labs I'm going to finish each day, and leave a week before the test day to finish labbing/practice tests. It's a winning formula so far!

It definitely sounds like your encouraged enough! Good luck mate!
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Today i decided that I will obtain my A+ before the end of the year. I'm tired of working in construction, Im in college doing my best to better myself and get an IT degree. So my objective is to purchase an A+ study guide in the next couple weeks and study my butt off during the summer. With a little luck and a lot of energon (80s transformers movie for the win!) I'll attempt to test by august.
    I do have previous experience working in a LAN center doing basic repair work and have taken CIS courses and passed with relative ease so I'm confident i can do this.

This is a good plan, I worked steel construction for 9 years and I am so glad to be out of it. Getting the A+ while in college is something that I should of done instead of waiting till I was out. If you can you should also find a job in the field even if you can't quite leave the construction industry yet, any experience you can gain now will only help you. Including volunteering at a library or at a place you can work one day a week all counts as experience.

good luck
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll be working on a similar plan. A+ and Network + by the end of the year. After that, long term I would like to get my CCNA, then learn Windows Server 2008 (MCTS) and finally Citrix (CCA). Would that be a good path? I've had some people tell me that CCNA isn't really related, but I think it would improve on the foundation of networks and use that as a jumping off point for Win Server 2008.

In any case, good luck to ya. Nothing like the motivation you get after getting home from a job you dislike!
  • DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    thx all for the encouragement. Im having a bit of trouble financially atm as my school has apparently lost my FAFSA check in the mail(our financial aid office is horrid) but sometime within the next 3 weeks I plan on having the money to start this journey.
    My housemate and friend of many years impressed with my enthusiasm has offered to be my study buddy. He already has his A+ but will help in anyway he can and study for his Security+ while i do my A+ studies.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    if youve ever built a computer i say you can do both exams within two months.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope you do well in your studies. I am also aiming for my A+, but I plan to get it within 3 months or less. There are many resources on the internet that could give you a start in A+ certification. I ordered the CompTIA A+ certification Seventh Edition by Mike Meyers for $33, and while I was waiting for the book to arrive, I studied Professor Messer video.

I am also putting together a PC this weekend for a relative, which also contributes into my studies with A+.
  • DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    I love building computers! I recently build myself a new quad core system. (too poor for a 6 core!) But building a rig is easy for me.
    I have bookmarked Professor messer's website and will be using it as a resource. I am looking at 3 A+ guides atm. The ExamCram 5th edition, The SYbex A+ certification Kit, and there was a Mike Meyers one. Im leaning toward the kit honestly but its so expensive!