RHCSA or college degree?

wwidingwwiding Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been using Ubuntu for a while now, and was thinking about getting some Linux certifications to increase my marketability. I'm debating between getting the RHCSA(after studying for the linux+ and the LPI, but I probably wont get them, I'll just use the study material as a primer) and just going back to school at the local community college for an associates degree. It seems to me that the RHCSA and RHCE exams are pretty rigorous, and would probably look pretty good on a resume compared to some other certifications that just show how much you can memorize. Could I get the RHCSA and then go to school online part time while working? Should I do it the other way around?

I've been lurking on this site for a week or two now, and I'm confident that I'll receive very good advice from you guys. Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide.

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest starting both now. I got most of my certs while going to school at least part time and working full time. Chances are there are courses applicable to the RHCSA. When I was doing an AS in CIS, I took a couple Linux courses, and even though I was already working with Linux as a systems admin, the courses were fantastic. Just imagine a room of students trying to setup LAMP, Samba, doing upgrades, and so on... people managed to break things in all kinds of ways, so I got to work on my troubleshooting skills since the professor encouraged collaboration.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I suggest starting both now. I got most of my certs while going to school at least part time and working full time. Chances are there are courses applicable to the RHCSA. When I was doing an AS in CIS, I took a couple Linux courses, and even though I was already working with Linux as a systems admin, the courses were fantastic. Just imagine a room of students trying to setup LAMP, Samba, doing upgrades, and so on... people managed to break things in all kinds of ways, so I got to work on my troubleshooting skills since the professor encouraged collaboration.

+1 experience and certifications are a very different experience than learning things through college program. I think each has its own values in its own way and having both under your belt will make the other easier.
  • wwidingwwiding Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll study for the CLEP exams, to get the gen ed stuff out of the way now. That way I can focus on the RHCSA and my associates at the same time. I thought about going to school online, if I could find a good place to get my associates, but I'll probably just go to the community college instead.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have mentioned I would recommend working on both certifications and your college degree.

Good luck with your studies!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wwiding wrote: »
    I thought about going to school online, if I could find a good place to get my associates, but I'll probably just go to the community college instead.
    A local community college will likely be cheaper than an online school, and is still convenient. Also, many community colleges have online or hybrid courses. Quite a few of my GE courses were hybrid, so there were 1-2 meetings in person per month. They were geared for people working full time, so the meetings were usually in the evening.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    A local community college will likely be cheaper than an online school, and is still convenient. Also, many community colleges have online or hybrid courses. Quite a few of my GE courses were hybrid, so there were 1-2 meetings in person per month. They were geared for people working full time, so the meetings were usually in the evening.

I would definitely check around and ascertain what kind of rep your community college has for teachers/classes. You seem to be like me (most of us I bet) and want to get your GE stuff out of the way. Even the night classes I've taken that were 6-9 PM usually only last until 7, just long enough for us to get our assignments for the week and be on the way.

I've also lucked into some extremely easy online classes through my small community college, so it's definitely possible.
  • wwidingwwiding Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be going to the local community college, they do have most of the classes online. I just have to come in for the exams. I'll probably take any of the classes that are more hands on at the school, for the experience. I'm going to study for the CLEP tests so I can get Math, English, Technical English, and Macroeconomics out of the way now. I've got a few old computers that I can install Linux on and practice with. I might have to get some more ram for it, but that's relatively inexpensive any way. I think I'll get my associates in network administration. I've checked into pricing, it'll be about $5,000 grand for a two year degree. That's not too bad, I've already got debt from my previous years at a private college though, and unfortunately a lot of those credits wont transfer. I look forward to getting a degree and a better life for myself though, there's no better motivation.