IOS upgrade (new guy halp)

Atherton213Atherton213 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, took some CCNA classes in highschool but that was 10 years ago so everything has changed.

Currently building my CCNA lab at home, Ive got most of the parts not all of them some are being shipped some i still need to order. While im waiting for the parts to come in a i decided whichever parts i do get ill make sure to upgrade to the latest IOS.

question right now is the 2501 router i have, im having trouble updating the IOS on it. I have the file, i have the TFTP server. my router just doesnt see the tfpt. I try to ping my computer from the router and i get nothing. Im assuming the issue here is using the console cable (to a ubs/serial adapter)??

Im waiting right now on a rollover cable to come to try and just connect directly. will that work??? or am i missing something here. Yes ive tried to google it but none of the stuff ive found has worked for me yet

edit: ive upgraded the memory to max also... so not an issue... If you need anymore info i can post it here

Comments

• j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to hook the pc up to the ethernet port on the router with a crossover cable and then configure both of them to be on the same network.
  • Atherton213Atherton213 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    j-man wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to hook the pc up to the ethernet port on the router with a crossover cable and then configure both of them to be on the same network.

yeah i havent tried a crossover everywhere ive been reading says rollover... ive already ordered the rollover so if that doesnt work ill try a cross over....

time to dig through my box of cables :P
    You'll still need the roll over to connect to the console port on your routers/switches. It will not work if you try to connect it to the ethernet port though (made that mistake once lol )

Oh and welcome to TE! :)
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your TFTP server could connect to the router by way of Fast Ethernet. I'm only a CCENT but I don't think you could upgrade IOS through rollover cable. I may be wrong and if I am, someone correct me. What TFTP server application are you running on the host anyway?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    Looks like you'll need [SIZE=-1]Ethernet Transceivers[/SIZE].

Have a look at this http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    You can upgrade through console cable, but have to use xmodem which is slow as molasses. To use tftp you'll need IP connectivity (i.e IP addresses). As others have stated, you *should* use a crossover cable between router/PC but if you don't have one a straight through will likely work. Once you're able to ping tftp should be no issue.

HTH
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    j-man wrote: »
    Looks like you'll need [SIZE=-1]Ethernet Transceivers[/SIZE].

Have a look at this http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

Page not found
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this is what he meant: TechExams.Net CCNA LAB: The Hardware
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Page not found

DOH!! I swear it worked!

CodeBlox is correct. That was the page I was intending to be displayed.

Sorry about that icon_redface.gif
    ok... im totally lost with all this lolol it seems ive forgot everything i know

my 2611 just came in today, im able to get that to ping... is there a way to get to the 2501 through the 2611??

the 2611 has a wic-1t
    i have the serial cables to connect the 2

orrrrr how would i connect from my pc to the 2501 not through the serial connection... see people saying crossover and such? just use hypert and connect to the IP i set in the 2501?

(sorry for being such a newbie... i havent actually started any of my learning yet... just trying to get all the new IOS's installed while i wait for the rest of my kit to get here)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    (sorry for being such a newbie... i havent actually started any of my learning yet... just trying to get all the new IOS's installed while i wait for the rest of my kit to get here)

Right now, I think you should just hit the books. The forum doesn't allow me a large enough post to fully answer your questions. This will all make sense soon enough.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Right now, I think you should just hit the books. The forum doesn't allow me a large enough post to fully answer your questions. This will all make sense soon enough.

lol i figured that....

books have info on ios upgrades i hope cause the version that is on the routers i have are the old versions... hopefully nothing major has changed in them lol
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    lol i figured that....

books have info on ios upgrades i hope cause the version that is on the routers i have are the old versions... hopefully nothing major has changed in them lol

Don't forget about the greatest Cisco resource in the entire world....Cisco Systems, Inc
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    lol i figured that....

I bought all of my equipment on ebay, and it all had old versions of ios on it. All of the basics should be the same, once you get it all hooked up and running, then you can upgrade. Read, read, read.