Average time per role

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
Just curious everyone's opinion on the average (ACCEPTABLE) length to stay in a role.

From my own thoughts/experience it seems 2years is what HR/other companies respect.
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2-3 is probably the general consensus. If the job keeps you interested and you learn new things every so often, keep it for as long as you can. Learning is key here.

I have also observed that once people get into a big company, they tend to stay there for longer. I worked for Mobil once and some IT folks there had been working there for, literally, a lifetime.

There was a guy that retired from my company after 41 years of service...good grief!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Just curious everyone's opinion on the average (ACCEPTABLE) length to stay in a role.

From my own thoughts/experience it seems 2years is what HR/other companies respect.

Depends.

Do you enjoy what you are doing?
    Do you have other goals and this current position is only working for you because you are attending classes, earning experience or some other reason that the schedule makes sense to hold this position?

I see no merit in jumping jobs for the sake of jumping jobs. Others will likely disagree, and some may agree with what I stated.

I have found that I have the ability to take whatever position I am in and make it more, so perhaps you can weave yourself into a better role for yourself at your current employer? And maybe you cannot and moving on makes sense. Keep doors open and see how it works out for you.

You'll find in time (if you haven't already) that it matters not what "HR" thinks as much as it matters who you know. icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My average is about 2.5 years in a job.

By this point I'm usually bored as I've learnt everything I can from it - then it is time to move on.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Essendon wrote: »
    I have also observed that once people get into a big company, they tend to stay there for longer. I worked for Mobil once and some IT folks there had been working there for, literally, a lifetime.
    heh, yea. I work for CoP. I've been on my 7 man team for 3 years now and I'm still the newbie. Most of the people I work with have been here 10+ years.

With that said, I am just now getting to the point where I don't feel completely overwhelmed on a daily basis.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Depends.

Do you enjoy what you are doing?
    Do you have other goals and this current position is only working for you because you are attending classes, earning experience or some other reason that the schedule makes sense to hold this position?

I see no merit in jumping jobs for the sake of jumping jobs. Others will likely disagree, and some may agree with what I stated.

I have found that I have the ability to take whatever position I am in and make it more, so perhaps you can weave yourself into a better role for yourself at your current employer? And maybe you cannot and moving on makes sense. Keep doors open and see how it works out for you.

You'll find in time (if you haven't already) that it matters not what "HR" thinks as much as it matters who you know. icon_thumright.gif

Yea the problem is I am completely bored and I am not challenged 1 bit.

I asked for more in the sense that I wanted a challenge....they gave me more money (promoted to the lead)....well that's great, but to me learning is the most important thing.

I just want to go into work and know that after 6 months I will grow and become stronger in my profession....I can't say that about my role right now. I have a lot of offers coming down the pipeline that are actually better pay and more of what I want to do, but the issue is....

the issue is.....I have only been in this role/with this company for 7 months.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have an offer for a new job then go for it. They obviously don't care about your short stay if they are making the offer.

I wouldn't make a habit of a lot of hopping, but if you don't like the job then its time to find a new one. I know I won't sit around in a job I don't like.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you have an offer for a new job then go for it. They obviously don't care about your short stay if they are making the offer.

I wouldn't make a habit of a lot of hopping, but if you don't like the job then its time to find a new one. I know I won't sit around in a job I don't like.

AGREED!

My initial point was that some folks will say 'yes' move jobs after 'x' amount of time and I would say, only move if it makes sense to move. Happiness with ones employment takes in several factors, sometimes these factors are not immediately evident, but they do play a part of our happiness in showing up and doing a good job.

If you feel you are still at a career building point, you have offers coming in, than who could blame you for looking further into those options? I dare say not many will.

Which is why I don't get hung up on being at a position 'x' time before considering a move. We spend a great deal of time at work. It needs to be something you enjoy (for the most part) or in the end your health will suffer.

At least investigate your other options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?