Options

Who for CISSP training?

scuby16mscuby16m Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Over the past month I have done the Sans Network Essentials (401) class and achieved my GSEC cert. I have also completed the Sans Network Penetration and Ethical Hacking course along with Sans Web Penetration and Ethical Hacking course. I'd like to have my CISSP cert within the next couple weeks. I'm looking at the InfoSec Institute's online training and also their actual boot camp. I know I can do this through San's too. San's is near $4,000 to take it through them. Infosec is about $2600 to go to their bootcamp and about $1000 to do it online. I know Sans seems to have the name out there, but I know they are not associated with IS2. Can I get some opinions? I'd like to get signed up for one of these within the next two days. Are there other companies you would recommend for online training for the CISSP?

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took mine through Global Knowledge. However most people probably self study for it (honestly I didn't get much from the class, other than the Shon Harris book).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not buy the Labsim? From my experience they are very high quality and they guarantee you pass the exam. $695 is way less than the other prices you mentioned. That's what I would do if I wanted to study for that cert.
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Sounds like you're pretty motivated, but the thing with CISSP bootcamps (from what I've gathered from all my colleagues going to various schools) is that it's simply an overview of the material one should have already studied and knows. So basically, you're paying for a power point presentation of material you should have already learned prior to going to the course. Most CISSP bootcamps don't teach you the material or concepts, rather, they are there to review the materials most have already went over to prepare you for the test.

Is there a rush to take this test? I'd say give yourself at least a month of self study if you're that motivated.

Best of luck.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pretty motivated, but the thing with CISSP bootcamps (from what I've gathered from all my colleagues going to various schools) is that it's simply an overview of the material one should have already studied and knows. So basically, you're paying for a power point presentation of material you should have already learned prior to going to the course. Most CISSP bootcamps don't teach you the material or concepts, rather, they are there to review the materials most have already went over to prepare you for the test.

Is there a rush to take this test? I'd say give yourself at least a month of self study if you're that motivated.

Best of luck.

The Global Knowledge course I took (we didn't test at the end of the Boot Camp) was what Cabrillo said - a very high level overview. If you had no experience/very little you would have been lost.

I suggest reading JD's blog in regards to prep for the CISSP. Look in the forums here and see what others have published in regards to their study plan. Head over to cccure.org and read what others have published for their studying. Most people end up self studying for this.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One benefit of the boot camp though - class mon thru friday, test on saturday - it was VERY VERY useful to take the week before off, go to a different city, and totally immerse yourself in preparing for the exam, no work phone calls, emails, etc. You are absolutely right that if you don't know it by the time you get there, you are sunk... and they are review courses.But taking dedicated time to really study, without distractions, in my opinion, made a HUGE difference. Totally worth it in my opinion. Wish I could do that for every cert.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed