Options

Exchange Problem

vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Run into a weird problem the other day. I am a systems admin for an accounting firm and I setup an account for a new employee. User can send and receive emails internally with no problem but hasn't been able to receive emails from outside the domain. When I tried to send an email to him from my gmail, I immediately got a bounce back message saying email did not exist (error code 5.1.1). No body else is having this problem.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    What version of Exchange? If it's 2007 do you have a separate edge server set up?
  • Options
    vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's 2003 and there's only one exchange server.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hey dude,

What is your spam filtering service? Postini? Webroot? ironmail? Sounds like they don't have an account here.

you can also telnet into your exchange server from outside and see where it's dropped. google the process, it's easy.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you use two domains?

i.e. one external domain for the web, and one internal?

Does this person have the proper SMTP Address added, since it was a new user?

Have you forced Recipient Update Policies?

Should be quite quick as it sounds like you are on a small server.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I concur with Daniel on this, it sounds like an external filtering service like Postini or Securence that hasn't had the new account setup with them.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote: »
    I concur with Daniel on this, it sounds like an external filtering service like Postini or Securence that hasn't had the new account setup with them.

Yep... if you look more closely at the bounce message, it should tell you the system hostname/IP that actually bounced the message
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...