Options

I don't really know where to go

NightBlade09NightBlade09 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm having a little trouble finding where to start right now. A little background, sorry if it's too long.

I'm 20 years old, graduating with my associates in Network Administration in June this year. I didn't really learn anything. Reasons I think why is because our teacher would give us "study guides" that were the test with all the possible multiple choice questions. Everything was worded exactly like the test. I aced all of them without any knowledge gained. She made us do Testout Labsim and I could never stay concentrated enough to actually go through the whole course or even half of it for that matter. I never was interested in the lectures at all. Seems like I took the wrong major. icon_redface.gif

I work at a hospital as an intern making minimum wage and answering phone calls and putting "work orders" into our system. I been there for about a month and I am now starting to go around the hospital to try and fix issues. There are more than 3 students there that have been working at the hospital for about a year while still in school. I can't say I like it there. The hospital is running Windows XP/2003. I think I want to be somewhere with the latest technology. Although, this area is very depressed and outdated in everything.

My other job is working at Geek Squad in Best Buy. I'm the guy who troubleshoots client's computers to see what service we can offer them. It's fun to find out what is wrong with them, not fun to offer them services and them suddenly get upset and/or reject you. I'd like to make everyone happy without involving money into the equation. I would like it much more to actually fix the computers but there seems to be no room for repair agents. I suppose I like to fix home user issues/find out what is wrong with them.

The place I'm at right now is deciding where to go from here. What do I do when I graduate? I'm kind of lost. I like fixing computer issues because of the accomplishment feeling at the end of it all. The harder it takes to fix, the better I feel after I fix it. That's pretty much it. I cannot for the life of me find the patience or interest to study anything computer related for too long before switching to something new I might like in the IT field. The only reason I think I took networking is because it's one of the major fields in IT that you can make good money. I'm trying to study for Windows 7 certification but I'm starting to get bored again and was actually thinking about switching to studying for Active Directory. I can't stay concentrated on any subject in IT. I guess I'm just not interested in anything related to IT. I just like the feeling of accomplishment for fixing things. Alright, I'm done.. sorry for that haha. I'm just disappointed. I thought I found something I liked and could make me good money. All of this time feels like a waste. I don't know where to focus...

Any advice would be insanely appreciated, if you can read all of that^.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What do you "want" to do? To be honest just repairing PCs isn't going to pay much long term.
  • Options
    What do you "want" to do? To be honest just repairing PCs isn't going to pay much long term.

Thanks for your reply!

Doing something I like while making good money doing it. I've been "into" computers since I was like 13. It seems all of this time I haven't been interested in computers. Only interested in the accomplishment of fixing issues involving them. I know it won't pay much at all, that's why I'm kind of stuck...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for your reply!

Doing something I like while making good money doing it. I've been "into" computers since I was like 13. It seems all of this time I haven't been interested in computers. Only interested in the accomplishment of fixing issues involving them. I know it won't pay much at all, that's why I'm kind of stuck...

You could try opening up your own PC repair shop. Other than that I'm not sure. I would at least do the MCITP:EDST 7 so you know Windows inside and out. Just be warned that the PC repair business can be a little brutal and competitive.

Here is a great resource for starting your own business if that is what you are interested in: Resource for Computer Repair Technicians to Start or Improve their Computer Business - Technibble
  • Options
    You could try opening up your own PC repair shop. Other than that I'm not sure. I would at least do the MCITP:EDST 7 so you know Windows inside and out. Just be warned that the PC repair business can be a little brutal and competitive.

Here is a great resource for starting your own business if that is what you are interested in: Resource for Computer Repair Technicians to Start or Improve their Computer Business - Technibble

Yeah me and my friend were thinking of that. Thing is, there's a ton of competition around here and I don't think that is where I want to invest my money. I don't know if I even want to continue in computers anymore. Simply because I don't find studying them interesting at all unless it concerns me or my problems/other people's problems to get that self accomplishment feeling. Maybe I'm addicted to that "high".. Lol :P
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Yeah me and my friend were thinking of that. Thing is, there's a ton of competition around here and I don't think that is where I want to invest my money. I don't know if I even want to continue in computers anymore. Simply because I don't find studying them interesting at all unless it concerns me or my problems/other people's problems to get that self accomplishment feeling. Maybe I'm addicted to that "high".. Lol :P

If it's that feeling of figuring out a problem then IT is good a field for that. The trouble is getting yourself in a position where you feel challenged.

May want to find another help desk gig somewhere. If it's that feeling you like. Sounds like you just need a more challenging job. Although you will want to find a topic that interests you. Whether is be client OS's or Windows Server (more then just AD, AD is just the staple of Windows Servers)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    If it's that feeling of figuring out a problem then IT is good a field for that. The trouble is getting yourself in a position where you feel challenged.

May want to find another help desk gig somewhere. If it's that feeling you like. Sounds like you just need a more challenging job. Although you will want to find a topic that interests you. Whether is be client OS's or Windows Server (more then just AD, AD is just the staple of Windows Servers)

Yeah man that's kinda how I feel. I'm taking cisco classes and when we have a problem and need to figure out how to fix it, that's where I get the most interest. Once I figure it out, I feel great... Like you said, finding that spot in IS that interests me is the challenge
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm 20 years old, graduating with my associates in Network Administration in June this year. I didn't really learn anything. Reasons I think why is because our teacher would give us "study guides" that were the test with all the possible multiple choice questions. Everything was worded exactly like the test. I aced all of them without any knowledge gained. She made us do Testout Labsim and I could never stay concentrated enough to actually go through the whole course or even half of it for that matter. I never was interested in the lectures at all. Seems like I took the wrong major. icon_redface.gif

Your teacher did you and your classmates a great disservice by simply giving you the answer and not making sure you ACTUALLY LEARNED the material. But at least you're sensible enough to realize that your degree is little more than just a piece of paper without the skills to validate it.
    I guarantee that some of those classmates will go around looking for a job and get rejecting over and over because they falsely believe that they have the skills to get an IT job but the interviewers will expose how little they truly know.icon_sad.gif

Now as far as testing yourself and improve your networking skills (assuming that you don't already have these); I say start here:
    GNS3 Topology | GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies
    Free CCNA Workbook
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I actually worked @BB a while back when I was worked towards my MS certs, and that helped to get me out of retail for good. I knew I wasn't gonna get anywhere without working hard to get out of BB. I've also 2nd guess my career decision and if I should stay in IT or not. Funny thing is everytime just before I get myself a new job or my job "peaks" out where I really can't do anymore is where I started to question it. But I'm still here, and everytime I learn just a little bit more.

My advice is that you can only go so far with Desktop certs...unless that's where you want to be. The real stuff is MCTS and MCITP:SA and EA's to help you get somewhere. You can also look at Virtualization and VMWare, or Hyper-V on R2 to lab and get familiar with. Look at the jobs out there, and it will give you a better idea on where to go.

Your next job maybe a small step, but not the completely where you want to be. Just remember it may take a few more steps before you get with the right job.