Options

QoS question/verification

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
Its been a good year since I have done any MQC configs, so I just want to bounce this off some others.

I have our branch router connected to a provider router which connects to an MPLS connection back to HQ. Its a 3mb pipe over the WAN, and 100mb on the branch LAN.

so

WAN--3mb---TELCO ROUTER---100mb----BRANCH ROUTER----100mb---Internal network

what I want to do is put QoS on the Branch router, to control voice, bulk, and default traffic.

on Branch router:

class-map VOICE
match *voice acl*
class-map BULK
match *bulk acl*

policy-map OUTBOUND
class VOICE
priority percent 20
class BULK
bandwidth percent 10
class default-class
bandwidth percent 50

interface fa0/1 (outside interface)
bandwidth 3000
service-policy OUTBOUND out

(sorry for any typos this was just of the top of my head)

now on the face of this, this sound like it will do what I want, give voice 20%, guarantee non-bulk traffic gets 50%, bulk is never completely starved.

however, I feel like I need to police the traffic too, no? The bandwidth command is what the classes are getting their % from, but wouldn't the interface still try to run at 100mb? Do I need to police the interface down to 3000kbs somehow?

Otherwise the packet drop happens on the telco router, not the branch, and QoS never kicks in. no?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What you are looking for is a nested policy map. Something like below (free hand so might be errors).

policy-map SHAPER
    class class-default
    shape average 3000000
    service-policy OUTBOUND

This will shape everything down to 3Mbps and also create your queuing structure within that shaped bandwidth.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    What you are looking for is a nested policy map. Something like below (free hand so might be errors).

policy-map SHAPER
    class class-default
    shape average 3000000
    service-policy OUTBOUND

This will shape everything down to 3Mbps and also create your queuing structure within that shaped bandwidth.

ah yes that makes sense. I was trying to think how to apply a rate limit to each class while still allowing 3mb and it didn't make sense. That works :D

Thanks!