Asking advice on a path

GlaveGlave Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
A long while back I took and completed 70-620, however I never did anything else. Recently I've decided to get my butt back in gear, but now with Windows 7 being out, I'm unsure which would be the best route to go.

I believe I will ultimately aim towards MCITP: EA, but I'd like to go ahead and grab more of a desktop cert along the way. I thought I could just nail 70-622 for MCITP: EST, but then again, I haven't seen many places actually using Vista. (My current employer is actually skipping Vista straight to 7)

If I want MCITP: EDST7, it looks like I'd either have to take both those tests, seemingly wasting my 70-620, or I'd have to take 70-622 and then 70-682 to 'upgrade' it.

Not really sure if I should pursue the extra test for 7, just complete the EST one, or forgo both and drive straight to Enterprise Admin.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I think it really depends on your current situation. If you're in the market for a entry level job then I'd recommend picking up the MCITP:EDST7 for now. I just got mine and it has actually landed me a lot of interest from employers.

If you have no real immediate use for a cert then I'd just go straight for the MCITP:EA.
  • GlaveGlave Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I have the ability and loads of experience, it's just more of putting attractive items on the resume currently. I lack a degree, so in order to get by the filtering of most HR reps, I need something to show.

So you recommend just forgoing the MCITP:EST all together then?
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Glave wrote: »
    Well I have the ability and loads of experience, it's just more of putting attractive items on the resume currently. I lack a degree, so in order to get by the filtering of most HR reps, I need something to show.

So you recommend just forgoing the MCITP:EST all together then?

If you have loads of experience then the EDST7 probably won't do much for you. I wouldn't imagine that you would be applying for jobs where it was really all that relevant as it pretty much limits you to Desktop Support or Helpdesk positions.

Are you trying to get a job, currently have an IT job or what's the story? What kind of positions do you have experience with and for how long?
    Currently I'm doing mainframe support as a computer operator. It's lower pay and much lower responsibility than I've normally had, but I took the position to get my foot in the door at a good company.

My typical role has always been desktop, and some helpdesk. I've been the lead repair technician in several consumer shops, and I've done corporate work as well. In some of the smaller corporate facilities I've done junior admin work, though it wasn't an official title.

My ideal goal is to break into solid corporate desktop and work up from there. In this area there seems to be a ton of applicants for desktop positions, so if I can begin getting solid certs to get above that paygrade, then I'll definitely be a happy camper.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do the Win 7 EST. That will give you a solid foundation for Help Desk support. You could then do the EDA:7 or move into the MCITP tracks. Now that you have your foot in the door, getting some Win 7 certs will help you.
  • Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Glave wrote: »
    Currently I'm doing mainframe support as a computer operator. It's lower pay and much lower responsibility than I've normally had, but I took the position to get my foot in the door at a good company.

My typical role has always been desktop, and some helpdesk. I've been the lead repair technician in several consumer shops, and I've done corporate work as well. In some of the smaller corporate facilities I've done junior admin work, though it wasn't an official title.

My ideal goal is to break into solid corporate desktop and work up from there. In this area there seems to be a ton of applicants for desktop positions, so if I can begin getting solid certs to get above that paygrade, then I'll definitely be a happy camper.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I've been doing 1st level support now for about 5-6 years. Helpdesk and software support. I want to move up into more admin level positions but it's tough right now with the job market.

Getting certs can really help! Although they are unlikely to get you as admin level position on their own; at least that's been my experience so far. So I recommend a two phase approach - get a job with a large company that has internal opportunities for advancement and work on certs.

The job market is flooded with qualified candidates. Your best chance of moving up is to take an entry level position for now, such as helpdesk or another 1st level position. Many companies will take an internal candidate with certs and no experience before posting a position externally. When an IT manager reviews your resume and you have completed 3 or 4 certs in the last year, you will definitely get serious consideration!

However, u have to get those certs!!! Personally, I recommend reading both the 680 and 685 books but only taking the 685 exam. (I took both exams but in hind-sight that seems like a waste of time.) Then move to Server 2008 certs. Even if you decide you want to be a desktop admin, like me, you will still need a solid understanding of servers. Currently, I'm working on the 686 Win7 desktop admin cert. I can tell you that having already completed the 640 and 642 has made this cert much easier.

Finally, try to stay position. The job market blows and it probably won't get better any time soon. All we can do is improve our knowledge and make ourselves more attractive job candidates. If you stay focused and knock out 3 or 4 certs a year - in 3 years your resume will look incredible!

Other certs to consider are: CCNA, Security+ and Linux+. These are all much more network and server oriented. However, I see many admin jobs where security is highlighted as a major aspect of the job. Ditto for Linux/Unix experience.

Good luck! Hope this helps. Btw, there are a lot of great people on this forum that are friendly, helpful and supportive. When I failed a cert last year I was totally bummed out. The support I got on here helped me from getting discouraged. I passed that cert a month later and 3 more since!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    there are a lot of great people on this forum that are friendly, helpful and supportive. When I failed a cert last year I was totally bummed out. The support I got on here helped me from getting discouraged. I passed that cert a month later and 3 more since!

+1 for that. If you have a question, there are several people on this site who will either know the answer, or point you in the right direction.
    I'm thinking that for now, I'll knock out 70-622, that will give me an instant 'title' and then I just need 1 more to upgrade to Windows 7. Technically 2 titles for 2 exams.

After that, yea I think I may got for Linux+ or Net+ just to show some diversity. Not really sure where I'll go from there, but that gives me some direction for the moment.