Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »

In any case, good luck on the re-take and don't shell out any money you don't need to.

Thanks, brother, really appreciated (BTW, welcome back. :) )

I did speak to my mentor and was forthcoming with this morning's events. After hearing the situation, he basically said when I'm ready for another voucher to just let him know and that he won't hold this fail against me. I told him as soon as I got home I hit the LabSim (which is/was true) and started jotting down notes (also true). He knows that I'm not trying to get lower than 100% SAP and that he wasn't worried about it too much because I still have time before my term ends. So one way or the other, I don't have to shell out money OR have to hand in a FAIL report to WGU.

I'm hoping to be done with LabSim in it's entirety by either Sunday night or middle of the week...though if it's gonna be the latter, I will need to do this very early in the morning...which means I'll have to sleep earlier. I'm also going to get really into TechNet for the command line stuff. (NTDSUTIL, DFRS, etc.)

As far as I'm concerned, this was a knockdown, not a knockout. (It still smarts, though... icon_redface.gif )
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Almost have the math courses behind me now. Passed my GAC1 assessment this morning and ended up getting the pass for my HHT1 task yesterday. Still working through QLT1 but have the first 4 tasks submitted and hoping to have the last one finished by the beginning of the week.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    So one way or the other, I don't have to shell out money OR have to hand in a FAIL report to WGU.

Not quite so lucky here. Got delayed on my Java course, didn't wrap before end of term, and found out just before end of term I would get a "not passed" for not having completed it. I was NOT happy, but oh well.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well finally got through QLT1. The graders were averaging 5 days per submission. Only 5 more classes left! Not that I am counting or anything.icon_lol.gif

I am hoping to get through Tech Writing and the Capstone this term, but I don't know if I have enough time. Then I would have the 3 MS classes left for next term.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Well finally got through QLT1. The graders were averaging 5 days per submission. Only 5 more classes left! Not that I am counting or anything.icon_lol.gif

I am hoping to get through Tech Writing and the Capstone this term, but I don't know if I have enough time. Then I would have the 3 MS classes left for next term.

I'm kind of stumped on creating a linear equation for the scenario I chose in task 5. Was kind of busy at work yesterday so I couldn't focus on it completely so I'll be trying again tonight, but I feel like i may need to rework my scenario completely or pick another one to where I can get these equations sorted out.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of stumped on creating a linear equation for the scenario I chose in task 5. Was kind of busy at work yesterday so I couldn't focus on it completely so I'll be trying again tonight, but I feel like i may need to rework my scenario completely or pick another one to where I can get these equations sorted out.

The equation part is pretty easy if you don't try and over complicate things. For example, if you just did a monthly fee for each company and then a start up fee for each company all you'd have to put is like y=(price of monthly fee)x+(start up fee). Where Y is the total cost and x is the amount of months.
  • Options
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    The equation part is pretty easy if you don't try and over complicate things. For example, if you just did a monthly fee for each company and then a start up fee for each company all you'd have to put is like y=(price of monthly fee)x+(start up fee). Where Y is the total cost and x is the amount of months.

Yeah I was over-complicating things, ended up getting it all sorted out and submitted last night. Going to start reading the ORC1/LET1 book today to familiarize myself with some terms/scenarios. Barely passed the pre-assessment with a 53% when cut score was 51% for the ORC1, and passed the MGC1 pre-assessment with a 68% with cut score of 52%. Once I get familiar with the terminology from reading this week I will be scheduling both assessments for next weekend and work on the LET1 tasks between now and then.
    Required:
    Classes Transferred:
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    The BOV1 exam doesn't seem to correlate all that well with the practice exams they give you. Luckily, I'm good (enough) at guessing. Had I known, I would have found an additional source to study for the exam besides just the one WGU gives.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    holy crap, im studying for BOV1...this stuff is soooo much easier than when I was learning C++ and Java in my old university. Makes me actually a bit excited to program again.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    The BOV1 exam doesn't seem to correlate all that well with the practice exams they give you. Luckily, I'm good (enough) at guessing. Had I known, I would have found an additional source to study for the exam besides just the one WGU gives.

what was missing?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    what was missing?

Hmm... I don't know how much I can say without violating NDA? Mostly it seemed like there were questions that used odd terminology or phrased it in a way that didn't really make sense. Then again, maybe this is more an issue with me than anything else. :)
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am down to the last 5 courses in my program. I have the Humanities performance assessment, CCENT, 70-640 (re-take), Tech Writing, and the Capstone left. Getting closer to my goal of finishing in 3 terms! :)
  • Options
    Sample Capstone Papers now available. https://sites.google.com/a/wgu.edu/model-capstones/undergraduate-capstones/bs-information-security

For those of you who are nearing that point.icon_cheers.gif
    WGU grad
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I have no idea what I'm going to write for my tech/cap. I have no experience working in IT, I've never done any security work, and I really have nothing to go on. The papers are designed around working on a project at a job or something of the sorts but I have nothing.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    I have no idea what I'm going to write for my tech/cap. I have no experience working in IT, I've never done any security work, and I really have nothing to go on. The papers are designed around working on a project at a job or something of the sorts but I have nothing.

I had a phone call with the coordinator for the IT (security?) capstone class, and I asked him what the specifications/constraints are for a topic. He said, "If I may be a bit cynical, as long as you have 'security' in the title, it'll be ok." It sounds like they're extremely flexible, so pretty much anything you're interested in will work as long as you can write a paper about it. He also emphasized that the length doesn't matter as long as you cover whatever it is well. While most are about 30-40 pages, one paper recently made it through TaskStream with 4.0/4.0 that was only 14 pages.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

I am kind of on the same boat with you too, and I am so not looking forward to CPW4 and TWA1. I stuck at writing research papers since I frequently get writer's blocks. I only have 10 courses (46 CU) left when I officially enroll. I haven't updated my signature yet as I am still waiting for financial aid to approve the loan before I can start supposedly in July. I think I will write something about linux or programming. Not sure yet though.
  • Options
    I saw one of the capstone's was 70+ pages. There is no way I could make it that long. I hate writing with a passion. 20 pages it will be!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    I saw one of the capstone's was 70+ pages. There is no way I could make it that long. I hate writing with a passion. 20 pages it will be!

Writing for me is a lot easier than tests. I can bullshit my way through a 20 page paper in two nights.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    drew726 wrote: »
    Writing for me is a lot easier than tests. I can bullshit my way through a 20 page paper in two nights.

LOL I did that soooo badly on the LET1 papers... Bunch of random stuff and I still got 4.0.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    never2late wrote: »
    My experience with Cindy wasn't as negative, more neutral. The class material is confusing at best. I was never sure what they were looking for as far as the programming went, especially the GUT1 class. I tried to explain this to her and the response was always "read the resources and do all the practice programs".

The structure they wanted was nonsensical, meaning that it was never clearly explained why you would code this particular way. I struggled through it and passed, but this class convinced me that programming is not my cup of tea. When I uploaded my code I fully expected it returned with errors but it passed on the first try.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your experience with GUT1 and GTT1. Dont let the experience spoil you to programming though. I can tell you that the 2 courses need a serious revamp and better explanation/more freedom to program design if they want it to be successful.

As someone with a fair amount of programming experience, I can say that the WGU courses are probably as bad as it gets. Very rarely will you find yourself with a task like the ones for WGU, vague project definition with specific requirements.

Youll find most programs that may be requested of you fit into 1 of 2 categories:

1. The programmer - Requests program ABC and wants it to function using XYZ
    2. The non-programmer - Request program ABC and doesnt care how it get there

Bottom line is the program will almost always be well defined.

WGU leaves the program very vague and then wants you to demonstrate functions/methods that have no business being in a legitimate program which just adds to the confusion.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    My experience with Cindy wasn't as negative, more neutral. The class material is confusing at best. I was never sure what they were looking for as far as the programming went, especially the GUT1 class. I tried to explain this to her and the response was always "read the resources and do all the practice programs".
    . . .

I got stuck midway through Task 1 on GTT1. I had elected to use a different GUI design tool other than NetBeans, and when I asked for help, I got picked on for not using NetBeans. So far as I could tell from the COS while NetBeans is recommended, use of NetBeans is optional. I wanted cleaner, simpler code than what NetBeans is generating. I came within millimeters of coding the GUI manually as it was-- NetBeans and the Java layout managers are so frustrating. I was glad to find a couple GUI design tools that could generate what I wanted without getting in my way.

Anyway, the problem I'm having with the program wasn't anywhere related to the GUI design directly-- it was related to scope of variables. I'm waiting to see what I hear next.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    finally passed my last ciw class ... hope i never have to do those again
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    apr911 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your experience with GUT1 and GTT1. Dont let the experience spoil you to programming though. I can tell you that the 2 courses need a serious revamp and better explanation/more freedom to program design if they want it to be successful.

As someone with a fair amount of programming experience, I can say that the WGU courses are probably as bad as it gets. Very rarely will you find yourself with a task like the ones for WGU, vague project definition with specific requirements.

Youll find most programs that may be requested of you fit into 1 of 2 categories:

1. The programmer - Requests program ABC and wants it to function using XYZ
    2. The non-programmer - Request program ABC and doesnt care how it get there

Bottom line is the program will almost always be well defined.

WGU leaves the program very vague and then wants you to demonstrate functions/methods that have no business being in a legitimate program which just adds to the confusion.

I still question the necessity of programming for a security related degree, especially something as intense as these two classes. My mentor explained that the degree I'm seeking is management related and that I may one day need to direct programmers and that I would need this exposure in order to understand their point of view.

While this sounds reasonable, I work with programmers now. The last thing I would ever tell a programmer is how to write their code. Or pretend that I understand the complexities of program design and execution. Neither would I expect the programmer to tell me how to do my job designing and implementing networks.

Though some feel that the issues with their programs are due to the design of my networks.....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Flying Monkey SpitFlying Monkey Spit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I still question the necessity of programming for a security related degree, especially something as intense as these two classes.

Keep in mind, different jobs may have different requirements. Folks can end up working in places that require some code review, or they may work with less than experienced coders that need to have security review the code.

In addition, learning about coding can help you understand how many vulnerabilities work, which makes you better able to counter them.

Finally, it makes you a more rounded IT guy. :)

I'm just at the point of applying for WGU. I did the FAFSA and the application yesterday, and just need to brush up on some math before I take the assesment. I'm shooting for the Net Admin focus.

I'm bringing along 15+ years of IT experience, a CISSP, MSCA, Security+ and Project+, so I'm knocking out a ton of credits as transfers. I expect to have my MCITP for 2K8 (70-648 bridge exam) later this month and maybe the MCITP-SA at the end of the month.

Although I get credit for IT Fundamentals II and III, I don't for IT Fundamentals I icon_rolleyes.gif, so I did a self test yesterday for the CIW 1D0-510 and got an 83%. I plan to knock that out right away once I start. That only leaves me the BRV1 and BOV1 to do for tech stuff. The rest is all non-tech classes.

I'm pretty stoked, and glad to have found this site/thread.
  • Options
    I still question the necessity of programming for a security related degree, especially something as intense as these two classes.

I was actually thinking that there's nowhere near enough in this program. For example, a buffer overflow vulnerability is enemy #1 for security. However, they don't go into the basics of the stack, EIP, etc. so someone whose only educational background is WGU would have no idea how they work or how to keep them out of their code. Since they only teach Java, many people who get through the security program may be completely ignorant of their very existence.

I guess if you're literally only going to be configuring routers/switches/etc., then a lack of programming knowledge won't really matter. I could certainly be helpful though when trying to figure out the internal logic of something that isn't working. For most everyone else, it's not only helpful but necessary.

Of course, my actual (paid) IT experience is limited, so I may be completely off on this.
  • Options
    nhpr wrote: »
    I was actually thinking that there's nowhere near enough in this program. For example, a buffer overflow vulnerability is enemy #1 for security. However, they don't go into the basics of the stack, EIP, etc. so someone whose only educational background is WGU would have no idea how they work or how to keep them out of their code.

That would be true for any university, not just WGU. I have been in the field for nine years and the only programming I have run into is a little bit of javascript for some website developing and writing batch files which I don't consider programming. I highly doubt any company is going to hire someone from WGU or any other university without any experience to jump right into the security realm. It takes experience. As far as security goes one of the biggest problems are users.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started at WGU today and have already completed EWB. I have my first call with the mentor this afternoon. I emailed him to ask if we could also discuss my AAV during today's call. Hopefully I don't have to wait until the second call for this.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just started at WGU today and have already completed EWB. I have my first call with the mentor this afternoon. I emailed him to ask if we could also discuss my AAV during today's call. Hopefully I don't have to wait until the second call for this.

It was on the first call for me and I can't see it being handled any other way. That's where you add your course load after EWB.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    It was on the first call for me and I can't see it being handled any other way. That's where you add your course load after EWB.

Looks like I'm not as fortunate. Last week my mentor requested I select two times from his list for calls. I selected the 1st and the 3rd. I just found out that he only has me scheduled for a call on the 3rd and he said that call needs to remain just an introductory call and that my AAV would have to wait for another time.

So it looks like I have to twiddle my thumbs until sometime next week before he will let me set up my AAV...
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Looks like I'm not as fortunate. Last week my mentor requested I select two times from his list for calls. I selected the 1st and the 3rd. I just found out that he only has me scheduled for a call on the 3rd and he said that call needs to remain just an introductory call and that my AAV would have to wait for another time.

So it looks like I have to twiddle my thumbs until sometime next week before he will let me set up my AAV...

He said he had an opening on Tuesday but he couldn't guarantee that he could set up the AAV during that time because "there are a lot of things we have to work through" first.

Is this typical? It's starting to feel like delay tactics. It's like a grand scale version of Netflix throttling my "unlimited" DVD subscription...
    WGU PROGRESS