WGU Acceptance

chicmagnet2k4chicmagnet2k4 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering how accepted is WGU to an employer? If they ask is this an online college how do you explain it? Anybody had any problems with getting a job with a degree from WGU? Thank you to anyone who takes time out to answer my questions.

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was wondering how accepted is WGU to an employer? If they ask is this an online college how do you explain it? Anybody had any problems with getting a job with a degree from WGU? Thank you to anyone who takes time out to answer my questions.

Funny thing that happened to me last week, and I have a story to share with you. Last Monday, I got an interview with a fortune 500 company for an internship, and I told them about my transferring situation. I explained that I left my old school around late March due to financial issue. I even told them that I am transferring to an online-based university and specifically said Western Governors University. I was suppose to start in July. I knew I have nothing to lose since I'm only a student. So, I was straight-up honest with them about everything, and then 45 minutes later, I got hired.

But I think I got the job for multiple reasons though. So, I can't say that you would have the same luck as me. Here's my advice. Have faith in yourself, and don't get too nervous about getting a job and interviewing with employers.
  • chicmagnet2k4chicmagnet2k4 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Funny thing that happened to me last week, and I have a story to share with you. Last Monday, I got an interview with a fortune 500 company for an internship, and I told them about my transferring situation. I explained that I left my old school around late March due to financial issue. I even told them that I am transferring to an online-based university and specifically said Western Governors University. I was suppose to start in July. I knew I have nothing to lose since I'm only a student. So, I was straight-up honest with them about everything, and then 45 minutes later, I got hired.

But I think I got the job for multiple reasons though. So, I can't say that you would have the same luck as me. Here's my advice. Have faith in yourself, and don't get too nervous about getting a job and interviewing with employers.

Thanks for the advice the reason I am nervous is because I am trying to make a big decision right now. I am 21 years old and have been attending a traditional college and I am thinking about transferring to WGU to allow time for an internship, and for an overall a better education. So the fact, I don't have experience and am younger employers might not take me serious. So I have been asking around and majority of people said it might be ok, if you could explain a good reason why you decided to attend online college. Thanks for any additional advice!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Dude go for it. That internship can go on your resume and get you pulled to the top of the pile. AND the certifications.

I've asked around and my employer does not look down on WGU.

And consider this: you can go back for a M.S. at a traditional school later on if you are still concerned about the appearance of legitimacy (not that WGU isn't legit).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    ehnde wrote: »
    Dude go for it. That internship can go on your resume and get you pulled to the top of the pile. AND the certifications.

I've asked around and my employer does not look down on WGU.

And consider this: you can go back for a M.S. at a traditional school later on if you are still concerned about the appearance of legitimacy (not that WGU isn't legit).

Thanks Bro. Great Advice.

I am going to try to do a free internship at a school or hospital. So how would I go about explaining my reason though, If asked?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the advice the reason I am nervous is because I am trying to make a big decision right now. I am 21 years old and have been attending a traditional college and I am thinking about transferring to WGU to allow time for an internship, and for an overall a better education. So the fact, I don't have experience and am younger employers might not take me serious. So I have been asking around and majority of people said it might be ok, if you could explain a good reason why you decided to attend online college. Thanks for any additional advice!

I transferred to WGU, because of many reasons. My number one reason was the cost. I left a really good school, but the cost of attending there doesn't justify. I was 2/3 done with my 4th year, and I had to leave during the Spring quarter due to budget depletion for the next two years there (6 more quarters left). I was on my last year of scholarship. I dreaded going into debts with $40K in loan just for a bachelor degree.

I'm a first-generation, minority college student attended an out-of-state university, and I grew up with a single mom, who recently became ill with heart disease when I left home for college. My mom couldn't return to work and had to go on temporary disability. Because of this, I have no one in this family to back me up financially whenever I run into troubles. I currently owe my previous school a little under $1K for taking a leave of absence in the middle of Spring quarter. I tried looking for jobs within the area of my school for 5+ weeks trying to payoff the debt, and yet I couldn't find a job. The economy must be that bad up there. So I was forced to leave and move back home to make a life-changing decision that is probably the best for me. I need to wake up and realize that there is a HUGE gap between my generation and the generation before me. I need to work hard and slowly at my own pace to catch up with the other people that may be a little well-off than I am.

Even though, I'm not officially enrolled in WGU yet, but I am quite happy with where I am now, because I realized I could have graduated within less than a year at WGU, and I only have to pay about $6K. Jobs are also probably a lot easier to find here. WGU provides a very flexible schedule for me to progress toward my degree. I am also considering furthering my education at WGU in their MS ISA program after I finish my bachelor, so I can distinguished myself from other competitors regardless of the stigma in the MS degree from WGU. I am waiting for the approval from the Financial Aid before I decide to do my Intake interview.
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    WGU is regionally accredited. Its not less legit then any B&M college you could attend. Now the stigma of an Online school still exists but that seems to be disappearing as more and more people seek degrees online. Overall between the degree it self and the certs you get along the way WGU is pretty solid.
    afcyung wrote: »
    WGU is regionally accredited. Its not less legit then any B&M college you could attend. Now the stigma of an Online school still exists but that seems to be disappearing as more and more people seek degrees online. Overall between the degree it self and the certs you get along the way WGU is pretty solid.

The problem I seem to be facing is that majority of the population have no clue, what or even where WGU is. So it is like your going against all these people, who have degrees at big traditional university that your up against. I am just thinking of all the potential problems I might encounter and am asking if anyone else has had any problems. Thanks!
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    How close are you to graduation? I have nothing against WGU but if you can graduate from a known state school I'd always go that route IMO.
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237

The experience from the internship is more valuable than school. You can finish school anytime you want even if you choose not to go to WGU.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
    Repo Man wrote: »
    How close are you to graduation? I have nothing against WGU but if you can graduate from a known state school I'd always go that route IMO.

I have roughly a year and a half left. The problem I have is with the school itself are network class consisted of no demonstrations, 15 min lectures, and memorizing 10 pages of definitions on equipment, while my database class covered very little select statements, ER and chen's notations. While my upper-level classes are .net programming/and introduction to a little bit of network information security. To me there is no real world experience, and I feel like I will come out of college with no a clue of how to even start at an entry level position. Another thing is the time majority of my classes are during the day living very little time to even attain an internship. I was thinking of doing a help desk job or internship / externship (worst case), while going to WGU. So therefore I have a bit of experience when I graduate while having a bachelors degree.
    drew726 wrote: »
    The experience from the internship is more valuable than school. You can finish school anytime you want even if you choose not to go to WGU.

If I delay school I will pretty much be forced to go the WGU route. Due to the fact that most classes are held during the 9-5 hours.

My school is not incredible known world wide it is more area known. SO a lot of people where I would be apply to would know the school versus WGU. It is unknown to most and will lead to me having to explain why I decided to go the online route, which is usually looked down upon by a lot of older people. If you already have a job an experience and just want to make yourself more marketable and your older it wouldn't matter much, but me being younger with a lot less experience I am kind of worried.
    With a year and a half left I'd stick to your current school and self study for the CCNA (if networking is your long term goal)
    With a year and a half left I'd stick to your current school and self study for the CCNA (if networking is your long term goal)

Them I am stuck with no experience when I graduate, and I am playing caught up. Rather then going online and gain experience then when I am done I could have a year of experience and a degree. icon_silent.gif
    Them I am stuck with no experience when I graduate, and I am playing caught up. Rather then going online and gain experience then when I am done I could have a year of experience and a degree. icon_silent.gif

Others might disagree and it will depend on your location/job market but finding an entry level job is easy where I'm from. The real issue is finding a place to give you a break into upper level support. This is where the better known degree/certs helps out. I guess if the internship provided a chance at getting your hands dirty doing network/server work it would be a tougher choice but if you're doing break fix/help desk type work I wouldn't choose that option. In the end it is your decision.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882

Why cannot you get a summer internship? I'm shocked most uni's do not require them (mine did) to graduate.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

There was one poster in a WGU thread who specifically attributed his new software job to having a degree from WGU, and I seem to recall a few other similar positive notes. Maybe we should create a "WGU Success Stories" sticky thread at some point to accumulate these.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    higherho wrote: »
    Why cannot you get a summer internship? I'm shocked most uni's do not require them (mine did) to graduate.

I am taking classes in the summer, and the summer is only 3 months long and I have 3 semesters left.
    petedude wrote: »
    There was one poster in a WGU thread who specifically attributed his new software job to having a degree from WGU, and I seem to recall a few other similar positive notes. Maybe we should create a "WGU Success Stories" sticky thread at some point to accumulate these.

I am willing to look for it was he in a similar position as me? Like I said I am sure if u have great experience and certs already WGU wouldn't matter at all, but how would it affect me as a recent grad against other local grads, even though majority of people are looking for IT jobs around here.
    Others might disagree and it will depend on your location/job market but finding an entry level job is easy where I'm from. The real issue is finding a place to give you a break into upper level support. This is where the better known degree/certs helps out. I guess if the internship provided a chance at getting your hands dirty doing network/server work it would be a tougher choice but if you're doing break fix/help desk type work I wouldn't choose that option. In the end it is your decision.

Your right. I don't think If I graduated from my local university would I have a problem getting a lower level position. I think the bigger picture is if I start now with my experience and finish a year or so later with my degree. Would I be able to be in more upper level position?
    I am taking classes in the summer, and the summer is only 3 months long and I have 3 semesters left.

See I would change this up. Take classes during the fall and spring semesters and get internships for the summer. So many IT students at my college did this and had 4 summers worth of experience right when they graduated. Many people took summer classes to get done faster and that was not a wise move for them.b I always advice students to never waste their time when they are in college. My buddy got his CCNA, net +, security + and a 4 year degree with a year experience while he was in college. These type of people are what HR and IT people look for. A person who is willing to go the extra mile, to keep on learning, and to do everything he or she can during their time as a student.

Plus a majority of graduates do not start off in Administration positions or Engineering (unless they go to contracting agencies) unless you know someone or worked for a company before that will hire you right when you graduate.

Experience will come in time. Its just how you present yourself, how you market your self, and who you know. These factors play huge roles for college graduates and if you excel at these points you can get yourself a job.
    See I would change this up. Take classes during the fall and spring semesters and get internships for the summer. So many IT students at my college did this and had 4 summers worth of experience right when they graduated. Many people took summer classes to get done faster and that was not a wise move for them.b I always advice students to never waste their time when they are in college. My buddy got his CCNA, net +, security + and a 4 year degree with a year experience while he was in college. These type of people are what HR and IT people look for. A person who is willing to go the extra mile, to keep on learning, and to do everything he or she can during their time as a student.

Plus a majority of graduates do not start off in Administration positions or Engineering (unless they go to contracting agencies) unless you know someone or worked for a company before that will hire you right when you graduate.

Experience will come in time. Its just how you present yourself, how you market your self, and who you know. These factors play huge roles for college graduates and if you excel at these points you can get yourself a job.

A lot of valid points, but the situation that I am in now I am pretty much stuck I have only 3 semester left so I couldn't do the 4 years of internship in the summer like I wish I would have. As far as your buddy he was on top of his ****. I am just trying to make a sound decision, and have never been in the IT real life field to know if any of this matters thats why I asking for opinions. Well thanks everyone for there help any further comments are appreciated.
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my experience, once you develop a skill-set and start accumulating proven experience with that skill-set you'll find the school you graduate from matters less and less.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm a UoP grad, and generally speaking, there's little stigma attached to reputable online universities, and certainly WGU falls into that category.

The only instances I've seen trouble with having online degrees is when I applied for one of those huge-paying management jobs in Saudi or UAE.

Unless you're set on one of those jobs, you'll be fine with WGU. Though if you are that close to finishing, I would still try to.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I got my bachelor's degree from an online school (not WGU), but ASU (American Sentinel University).

After getting the degree, I got another job for 10K more, and am closer to work.

This is what you are looking at:

IT work is about three things: (in order of importance)
    1. experience (can you do it?)
    2. certification (can you train yourself?)
    3. education (people are in IT with philosophy degrees ...)

If I had the opportunity to choose between this:

WGU Option:
    1. 3 semesters of real-world work experience interning
    2. Get industry certifications
    3. Get bachelor's degree from online school
    4. Save the environment, it's greener to go to school online

Versus:
    1. Get bachelor's degree from brick and mortar college

Going to a brick and mortar school requires more "wasted time": travel back and forth, sitting through class lectures, etc.

EDIT:
    Some of us have wondered, what is this internship job?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    I got my bachelor's degree from an online school (not WGU), but ASU (American Sentinel University).

After getting the degree, I got another job for 10K more, and am closer to work.

?

So true. My college degree program is changing now to be more inline with Certifications (red hat, Windows, Cisco, and wireless) I was so mad to find this out and they asked me for my opinion of it.

I need to find more time for certifications. I been taking on harder tasks at work that been draining me so much! But I have to say it is worth every bit of sweat.

Whenever you go for a job the people I alway see getting the hiring manager interviews or the job are people who show commitment and dedication to their field (willing to get more certifications, taking on harder challenges so they can grow, etc).

In your shoes I would take a semester or so off for work experience (/ internship) and then finish up. The job market might also look better as well.
    instant000 wrote: »

WGU Option:
    1. 3 semesters of real-world work experience interning
    2. Get industry certifications
    3. Get bachelor's degree from online school
    4. Save the environment, it's greener to go to school online

Versus:
    1. Get bachelor's degree from brick and mortar college

Going to a brick and mortar school requires more "wasted time": travel back and forth, sitting through class lectures, etc.

EDIT:
    Some of us have wondered, what is this internship job?

GOOD Advice... Like I said only thing I wondered about is the fact that I am at an online school, being 21 with interning only... I just don't want that stigma too kill me early...
    So true. My college degree program is changing now to be more inline with Certifications (red hat, Windows, Cisco, and wireless) I was so mad to find this out and they asked me for my opinion of it.

I need to find more time for certifications. I been taking on harder tasks at work that been draining me so much! But I have to say it is worth every bit of sweat.

Whenever you go for a job the people I alway see getting the hiring manager interviews or the job are people who show commitment and dedication to their field (willing to get more certifications, taking on harder challenges so they can grow, etc).

In your shoes I would take a semester or so off for work experience (/ internship) and then finish up. The job market might also look better as well.

With online school I can do school and work, but if your talking about staying at the B&M school, then whats the different from doing it now and doing it after I finish up school?
  • j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use the interview to discuss how your online education developed your soft skills. Time Management, dedication and self motivation, WGU is essentially a directed study program. Share the diversity of learning resources (Computer based training like Skillport, study guides, technet, personal labs) you used, compared to a single text used in a B&M course. You will also be surprised at the number of working adults in IT use online education degrees to further their careers, so you will find that they are less critical than you think. The bottom line for almost all HR & hiring managers is regional accreditation. With certs and experience(internships) you have the qualification triad covered.

R,

J.
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I transferred to WGU, because of many reasons. My number one reason was the cost. I left a really good school, but the cost of attending there doesn't justify. I was 2/3 done with my 4th year, and I had to leave during the Spring quarter due to budget depletion for the next two years there (6 more quarters left). I was on my last year of scholarship. I dreaded going into debts with $40K in loan just for a bachelor degree.

I'm a first-generation, minority college student attended an out-of-state university, and I grew up with a single mom, who recently became ill with heart disease when I left home for college. My mom couldn't return to work and had to go on temporary disability. Because of this, I have no one in this family to back me up financially whenever I run into troubles. I currently owe my previous school a little under $1K for taking a leave of absence in the middle of Spring quarter. I tried looking for jobs within the area of my school for 5+ weeks trying to payoff the debt, and yet I couldn't find a job. The economy must be that bad up there. So I was forced to leave and move back home to make a life-changing decision that is probably the best for me. I need to wake up and realize that there is a HUGE gap between my generation and the generation before me. I need to work hard and slowly at my own pace to catch up with the other people that may be a little well-off than I am.

Even though, I'm not officially enrolled in WGU yet, but I am quite happy with where I am now, because I realized I could have graduated within less than a year at WGU, and I only have to pay about $6K. Jobs are also probably a lot easier to find here. WGU provides a very flexible schedule for me to progress toward my degree. I am also considering furthering my education at WGU in their MS ISA program after I finish my bachelor, so I can distinguished myself from other competitors regardless of the stigma in the MS degree from WGU. I am waiting for the approval from the Financial Aid before I decide to do my Intake interview.

Wow! I'm going through the same thing man. Respect, I do know your struggle!! GOOD LUCK