vcp studying

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
I am having difficulty differentiating vswitches, nexus1000v, and distributed switches can anyone really clarify how or when to use each?

Thanks!

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    vswitches: restricted to single ESX host
    distributed switches: work across multiple ESX host
    nexus1000v: you're loaded with money, and want to work across multiple ESX host. Note: Nexus is a Ci$co product.

This is all from memory. Haven't touched vSphere in a few months, and took the class last summer.

EDIT: My memory could be wrong, LOL.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    instant000 wrote: »
    vswitches: restricted to single ESX host
    distributed switches: work across multiple ESX host
    nexus1000v: you're loaded with money, and want to work across multiple ESX host. Note: Nexus is a Ci$co product.

This is all from memory. Haven't touched vSphere in a few months, and took the class last summer.

EDIT: My memory could be wrong, LOL.

Distributed vSwitches and Nexus1000v is also going to require Enterprise Plus licensing ($$$$)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Standard switches do exist on a per host basis, as a matter of clarification, a DVS or distributed virtual switch can best be thought of as a template, it exists in V-center and each time you assign a host to it, it goes in and creates replicas of the DVS on each host, there is some added functionality that goes along with it.

To really see an example of this go into the ESXI command line and do esxcfg-vswitch -l

might be vswitches can't remember right now.

The nexus 1000v, is pretty neat, it's also pretty hard to implement if you have minimal cisco knowledge, I just completed two implementations of it and can tell you the biggest benfits I have seen are these.

1. Network statistics persisting through a Vmotion, meaning the counters won't be cleared.

2. Ability to use ACL's, SPAN & ERSPAN (traffic inspection), and QOS at the VM level.

3. The 1000v pretty much extends cisco functionality into Vsphere, so now you have all the bells and whistles of a cisco swtich and most importantly documentation and support for that functionality, there are just alot of things that can't be done with Native vmware Vnetworking.
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    I have just noticed that vSphere 5 introduces SPAN ports to DVSs.