Is Kaplan's SelfTests any good?

hfbonurahfbonura Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the 70-680 yesterday and did abysmally (yep, I failed it). I studied for 4 weeks using MS Press 70-680, the MeasureUp website (practice tests), the DVD that came w/ the MS Press book, Google, TechNet, and Wiki. I heard about SelfTests from this site and was wondering if it helped anyone pass. I'm also open to any suggestions......icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    The Self Test Software questions are the same as the Transcender questions; just cheaper! I use them in combination with the MeasureUp questions.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I've used Selftest for passing most of the MCSE exams as well as the Server 2008 exams and now I am using it to prepare for 70-680 (taking it on Monday). I have found the questions and flash cards to both be very helpful when I took these earlier exams - and I will update on Monday how well this software helped me with 70-680.

I'm actually working through the Selftest questions right now - and they seem to cover the material very well.

Good luck.
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    hfbonura wrote: »
    I took the 70-680 yesterday and did abysmally (yep, I failed it). I studied for 4 weeks using MS Press 70-680, the MeasureUp website (practice tests), the DVD that came w/ the MS Press book, Google, TechNet, and Wiki. I heard about SelfTests from this site and was wondering if it helped anyone pass. I'm also open to any suggestions......icon_cry.gif

Dont feel bad, lots of people fail the first time. I failed the first time. I felt like crap. But after all the kind works here and advice, I picked myself up, looked at the report and studied the areas that I was weak in. I also watched Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training which I didnt know about at first. His videos are awesome, much better then CBT Nuggets (which I think was very dry and boring).
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    The Self Test Software questions are the same as the Transcender questions; just cheaper! I use them in combination with the MeasureUp questions.

Did you find the measure up test to be worth it?
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Dont forget to flesh it all out in by completing labs. 70-680 is no walk in the park. Its quite far reaching.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Know all of the DOS (I know - I'm old) commands in detail. The 70-680 seemed to test a number of commands in detail - and you need to have a good idea of what each of the switches does/displays. Play around with the commands as much as possible.

You also should run through the VHD stuff on the 70-680 page on this site. I found that understanding what it takes to setup and create a VHD with Diskpart and then using BCDEDIT/BCDBOOT really helped.

The Poulton book is also worth a look. It covers the material VERY well, and the questions at the end of each chapter and at the end of the book were great for review.

Good luck.
  • TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know all of the DOS (I know - I'm old) commands in detail. The 70-680 seemed to test a number of commands in detail - and you need to have a good idea of what each of the switches does/displays. Play around with the commands as much as possible.

You also should run through the VHD stuff on the 70-680 page on this site. I found that understanding what it takes to setup and create a VHD with Diskpart and then using BCDEDIT/BCDBOOT really helped.

The Poulton book is also worth a look. It covers the material VERY well, and the questions at the end of each chapter and at the end of the book were great for review.

Good luck.

So far I am using the Poulton book and the Gibson book. I have a WinSer2k8R2 setup running AD and I have 1 virtual 7 Ult and my laptop also has 7 Ult, both added to the domain. I can lab just about anything I need too. I was just looking for some test prep questions/exam.
  • Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    TechZilla wrote: »
    Did you find the measure up test to be worth it?

I didn't use the MeasureUp for the 680. However, I've used them for many others exams and I like them. I try to use both.