Failed 298 with 654

kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
After failing 297 5 times i finally took the plunge with 298 today an failed. Gutted. Really thought that MCSE was mine this time. Now makes it 13 months studying to pass a design exam to obtain my MCSE.

I did think the exam was far too long and towards the end started to feel really faint and ill.

Looks like il have to keep going.

Kamikaze_worm
IT Desktop Support Technician
Comptia Exams passed - A+
Microsoft Exams Passed - 270, 290, 291, 620, 293, 294
Qualifications - MCP, MCTS, MCSA
Working towards - MCSE
Currently Studying - 298

Comments

• Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe some of us can debug whatever is is fouling you up. 654 isn't horrible. It's what, 3 questions off?

What is your study schedule like? What materials are you using? Are the bars on your printout even? Are there any individual topics that you disagree with and think they're complete BS? Was anything on the test a topic that you don't remember studying for?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard lots of trouble with this exam. The biggest complaint is that there isn't enough time.

I hope to take mine next week, and a strategy I've learned from others on here is to not read the entire scenario. Many people found that they spent too much time reading and then were not left with enough time to answer the questions. You will need to skim and look for keywords. Also I'm told that most of the juicy stuff comes at the end.

And remember, like Shadley said, 654 isn't missing by too much. Spending some time in a few key areas could turn things around. Did you have enough time to answer every question?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • kamikaze_wormkamikaze_worm Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The first bar is lowest. As you said devil towards the end it gets alot harder. I didnt feel well towards the end. I'm not sure on the policy of allowing water in the exam as that may help me. I struggled with questions that linked into separate domains and remote access which is strange and kinda ironic in that I took 297 5 times. I'm guessing the first bar covers the current environment and there security problems?

Kamikaze_worm
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    The first bar is lowest. As you said devil towards the end it gets alot harder. I didnt feel well towards the end. I'm not sure on the policy of allowing water in the exam as that may help me. I struggled with questions that linked into separate domains and remote access which is strange and kinda ironic in that I took 297 5 times. I'm guessing the first bar covers the current environment and there security problems?

Kamikaze_worm

I think that depends on the place. One place I go is very concerned with what you have and make you empty your pockets and such. Another allows you to get up and walk around as you please. The last time I was there I carried a glass of water in and finished it before I started the test without a word being said. Even if they do have a problem, nothing stops you from getting up and grabbing something from your locker or visiting the drinking foutain. Might be hard on the 298 since it seems like you are always under the gun.

EDIT:
    Let me clarify here. Both places ask you to remove items. The one place makes you physically pull pockets out and makes you turn around so that they can check out your butt while the other just takes your word for it. You are monitored via video in both places. So even you had a **** sheet they would see you pull it out.
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tis true. The can make sure you are not cheating. Using the restroom or drinking fountain is not cheating :D Once your clock starts, it can't be paused...
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure I can take another defeat to be honest. I am good at what I do and I love IT, but 6 fails in a row (297X5 and 298 today) get me thinking mcse might be out of reach.
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    Ok so after some time to reflect and 2nd shot soon expiring! I have booked retake for 23rd June. I am going to revisit some CBT videos this week and then spend next weekend and early part of week revising. I know its soon, i dont think its too many questions away so If i stick to the basics improving a few subjects.

Recon its worth revisiting 297 study material for the domain bits, as Can't find much stuff covering security and seperate domains/forests?

Kamikaze_worm
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    Ok so after some time to reflect and 2nd shot soon expiring! I have booked retake for 23rd June. I am going to revisit some CBT videos this week and then spend next weekend and early part of week revising. I know its soon, i dont think its too many questions away so If i stick to the basics improving a few subjects.

Recon its worth revisiting 297 study material for the domain bits, as Can't find much stuff covering security and seperate domains/forests?

Kamikaze_worm

Defeat is tough, I just experienced it today. But you are only defeated if you give up. These are not easy exams and it is commendable to even come close to passing. There are many yahoo's out there that wouldn't even know when to begin.

Keep positive and keep going. Don't be nervous and get discouraged because of a few fails. Stay positive and remember that you are an IT professional. If you let the nerves get the better of you and let the fear rule your life than you have no chance of passing.

Good Luck!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Defeat is tough, I just experienced it today. But you are only defeated if you give up. These are not easy exams and it is commendable to even come close to passing. There are many yahoo's out there that wouldn't even know when to begin.

Keep positive and keep going. Don't be nervous and get discouraged because of a few fails. Stay positive and remember that you are an IT professional. If you let the nerves get the better of you and let the fear rule your life than you have no chance of passing.

Good Luck!

What Did you fail at if you don't mind me asking? Yeah good advice btw! I'm wondering how often they change the exam cos when I did this on my 297 i had a much shorted exam on attempt 2.
    Working towards - MCSE
    Currently Studying - 298
    What Did you fail at if you don't mind me asking? Yeah good advice btw! I'm wondering how often they change the exam cos when I did this on my 297 i had a much shorted exam on attempt 2.

It was the 299 exam.

As far as changing the exam, their goal is for every one to be unique. If 2 people were to be given the exact same exam then the potential for dumpers to pass would greatly increase.

Each time you take a test you should see the question number and content change, maybe even the time limits.