Would I benefit from an MCSA?

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
Im about to complete my 3rd month as a DST for a small stock brokerage firm. I also do light server admin work as well in Server 2003. We also dont really see a win7/2008 deployment any time soon.

I figured that I would gain a bunch of knowledge that would apply to work, and future window 7 exams. I also learned alot about permissions, group policy etc from my MCDST.

So far all I need is the 290, 291, as well as a client exam. I am thinking of doing the 680 last as it would help with an mcsa and mcitp certs.

Another reason I wish to pursue MCSA is because its so widely recognized. Even someone off the street knows what an MCSA/MCSE is. heck, my dad even knew when i was 16. Im 22 now.
I feel that future HR would also know im well versed in 2003.

So some questions would be, Should I do it? even if its aging, its 4 widely known letters on my resume. (i hope this doesnt turn into a 03 vs 08 fight)

also, how hard would the 290 and 291 compare to other tests' difficulty.
what materials should I get as well?

Thank you.

ps. would server 03 knowledge help taking the 680??
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've always been a strong advocate for picking up the recognized names (MCSA/MCSE) as well as the knowledge of the stuff that is in use. Others are saying forget the old stuff and move onto what is coming out later. My response to that is why not do both?

My original plan was to get MCSA and then move on figuring that the MCSE would be going out soon and I'd never get time for it. Well I cruised through the MCSA work and decided to go MCSE as well since it was still out there and those are the most recognized 4 letters, even non IT folk know them. I did the 270 at the time (not knowing better) but at this time I would say go 680 and kill the two birds unless there is some reason for you to do XP (you already have MCDST so you are covered there).

Materials: I used the Microsoft Academic books (the soft cover ones) and the CBT nuggets. 290 and 291 are harder than the MCDST but certainly not impossible.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's something you are working with then I would go with MCSA but maybe go with 70-648 to upgrade to Server 2008. And then take 70-646 for MCITP:SA. Server 2012 might be out this time next year and by the time that comes out there will be new exams to do and you'll probably be ready to go for MCITP:EA 2012 or whatever they call it by then.

Doing the complete MCSE right now from scratch to me would be a step too far, they are hard exams. But if you went to MCSA and then upgraded you'll have an easier route while not getting stuck with a huge number of exams left to do to catch up with the latest certification.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thanks alot guys. im glad im not being bashed.

anyways. I've checked the 290 material and have noticed that it contains alot of groups and permissions as well as a bunch of AD stuff and disk topics. Seems doable.

then we got the 291. I've seen it referred to as "The beast" all over the net.
    I understand that it covers a huge range of topics and builds from the 290.
    Is it really that hard? im sure there are harder mcse exams.

Im thinking 2-4 months each depending on my rhythm.

also, people are mentioning having good server knowledge is essential for the 680, maybe i should also tackle the 686/685 as well before the 680??

Would this plan be alright??
    290->291->686->685->680
    upon clearing the 680 id get Two MCITP's and MCSA haha
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    290 I like to compare to the server form of the 270 (270 being administering XP). It covers installation, installing services, event viewer, system performace, all of the basic stuff. A lot of it does carry over from the client side and shouldn't be too new for you.

291 takes that a step further and jumps into some difficult things. Speaking of difficulty, I found every one to be a little (ok, sometimes a LOT) harder than the last (270-290-291-293-294-299-298 )
    I'd drop 686 from the list you have, read the Gibson 685/686 book but only take 685. 686 is to do with deployments and by the time you take it Windows 8 will nearly be out and it'll probably have a whole new set of tools the same way Vista and Windows 7 did when they came out.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    If it's something you are working with then I would go with MCSA but maybe go with 70-648 to upgrade to Server 2008. And then take 70-646 for MCITP:SA. Server 2012 might be out this time next year and by the time that comes out there will be new exams to do and you'll probably be ready to go for MCITP:EA 2012 or whatever they call it by then.

Doing the complete MCSE right now from scratch to me would be a step too far, they are hard exams. But if you went to MCSA and then upgraded you'll have an easier route while not getting stuck with a huge number of exams left to do to catch up with the latest certification.

I agree with this. The MCSA shouldn't be too hard to get, provided M$ doesn't retire the exams anytime soon. I'd do the 290 > 291 > 680.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 70-291 isn't super difficult as far as the questions are concerned (I failed 3 times). What makes it difficult is that it is WIDE. You need to know DNS, DHCP, Routing and remote access, etc... It's a lot of material for one exam. But, while the questions are fairly specific, they aren't too deep (don't need to read a book like Windows Internals).

I say go for it. If you are working with Server 2003, you can add to your marketability. You might even get a raise! :)
    ok I'm coming down to Learning materials.
    So far all I have is CBT Nuggets. (James Conrad is cool, used him for A+)

I plan to lab like a mofo as well.
    Are Lab manuals suggested? Would they help me out? I know you guys use them HARD for Cisco. are any of these worth it? If so which would you choose?

Amazon.com: 70-290: Lab Manual for MCSE / MCSA Guide to Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (9780619120344): Dan DiNicolo, Jennifer Guttormson, Kelly Reid: Books
    Amazon.com: MCSE Exam 70-290 Lab Manual (9780131449749): Azimuth Interactive: Books
    Amazon.com: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Serv er 2003 Environment (70-290) Lab Manual (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series) (9780470641163): Mark Fugatt: Books
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I think you would be OK with what's in the MS Press books and replicating what's done in the CBT Nugget videos. Most of the stuff in 290 is pretty easy, 291 is where you really need to lab more.
    haha everyone keeps scaring me. the 291 is more on the networking side of things, something that interests me.

What materials did you use?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    290 and 291 I used

MS Academic course books
    CBT Nuggets (both by Conrad)
    VMWare lab
    Assorted resources on the net and this forum

I also had the MS Press books, but skimmed them here and there. Nothing substantial, and if I did it again I wouldn't buy them. (Was a good deal, got 270, 290, and 291 for like $50)