acm.org has a ton of digital books and Element K virtual learning

Mr.RitzMr.Ritz Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
acm.org

Professor told me about it.. Ended up being an awesome resource full of books for certifications. Sure beats the hell out of paying 100 bucks a book or whatever. Students only cost 60 bucks a year and element K virtual learning seems pretty awesome.

Welcome to the ACM Online Courses Program
from Element K!

Program Highlights:

ACM E-Learning Catalog
ACM members can access the ACM E-Learning Catalog round-the-clock. It includes 4,100+ online courses on a wide range of computing and business topics, in multiple languages.

Exclusive vLab® Virtual Labs
1,100+ unique vLab® exercises place users on systems using real hardware and software, allowing them to gain important job-related experience.

Assessment
Access 500 proficiency exams from Brainbench, the leader in online skills certification, and assess your knowledge after completing a course. Brainbench will validate the skills you've gained to an employer and, most importantly, to yourself. Element K also allows you to pursue Certification Plans in Cisco®; Databases; Hardware, Networks & Operating Systems; IT Management; IT Security; Microsoft IT Professional; Office Productivity and Project Management.

Reference Tools
Tools include an e-Reference Library with almost 1,000 Element K-authored titles to extend technical knowledge outside of the classroom, online Executive Summaries, and quick reference cards to answer on-the-job questions instantly.

Offline Player
The Offline Player allows members to access assessments and self-study courses offline, anywhere and anytime, without a live Internet connection.

Comments

• Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    On first glance I thought this was Spam. It's not. A truly excellent resource for $99 pa.

Rep given.
  • Mr.RitzMr.Ritz Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    On first glance I thought this was Spam. It's not. A truly excellent resource for $99 pa.

Rep given.

icon_cheers.gif

Yeah acm.org is awesome Association for Computing Machinery

They also have tons of free microsoft software through the microsoft academic alliance for students.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I belong to ACM and IEEE they both have similar perks to membership. I think the offerings are different enough to make membership in both worth it.
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    I belong to ACM and IEEE they both have similar perks to membership. I think the offerings are different enough to make membership in both worth it.

Can you tell me more about IEEE and how much for student?

Have you taken any exams just from using their virtual classes?
    Mr.Ritz wrote: »
    Can you tell me more about IEEE and how much for student?

Have you taken any exams just from using their virtual classes?

You get 600 Safari Books titles instead of Books 24x7 and the element k courses offered aren't necessarily exactly the same for acm and ieee. Check the other benefits out here: Benefits

I wouldn't use just one resource for any exam especially not some of those element k courses. The quality ranges from awful to pretty good. If I read that right just now the current student membership is only $20 but I was sure I paid a little more than that.
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    You get 600 Safari Books titles instead of Books 24x7 and the element k courses offered aren't necessarily exactly the same for acm and ieee. Check the other benefits out here: Benefits

I wouldn't use just one resource for any exam especially not some of those element k courses. The quality ranges from awful to pretty good. If I read that right just now the current student membership is only $20 but I was sure I paid a little more than that.

Damn, so I guess I still need to buy a book for my A+ ?
    Mr.Ritz wrote: »
    Damn, so I guess I still need to buy a book for my A+ ?

I would recommend it unless you find a good A+ book through ieee or acm. The Mike Myers All in One A+ comes highly recommended. You can supplement your reading with professor messer videos and whatever kind of element k courses you find. Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Microsoft Certification Training
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    element k training are not so good but their vlab is good

i got at 19$ acm student member because from india

a very great site

i downloaded a lot of softwares from msdnaa

a good number of articles as wells as cacm