Question on exam sims

hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
Are you allowed to use '?' when typing commands during the test sims?

Also, do you get points taken off for trying to enter a command when in the wrong config mode?

Comments

• j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Being I'm going to be taking these exams as well could someone please answer this question?

icon_thumright.gif
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ? works and you either completed the objective or you didn't.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    alan2308 wrote: »
    ? works and you either completed the objective or you didn't.

Ive read you can get partial credit for the sims. So Im not sure that its just a boolean answer.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • capitanuionutcapitanuionut Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Ive read you can get partial credit for the sims. So Im not sure that its just a boolean answer.

I haven't took the exam yet but i think that the test are somehow graded after the correct commands you entered.
    Like those packet tracer labs from the academy classes. For example if you have to build an access list with 3 line and you enter 2 line correctly and one line wrong, then you will get partial credit for those 2 correct line you entered.
    I think also this applies to drag and drop questions.

Someone with cisco exams experience to clarify this please...thanks
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I haven't took the exam yet but i think that the test are somehow graded after the correct commands you entered.
    Like those packet tracer labs from the academy classes. For example if you have to build an access list with 3 line and you enter 2 line correctly and one line wrong, then you will get partial credit for those 2 correct line you entered.
    I think also this applies to drag and drop questions.

Someone with cisco exams experience to clarify this please...thanks

I have plenty of Cisco exam experience, and no one can tell you for sure from just having taken the exams. There's no indication whether the answer was right or wrong when you move on to the next question. As far as I'm aware, Cisco has never made any statements on whether partial credit is given for the non-multiple guess questions, only that some questions/question types are weighted more heavily than others, and sometimes there are beta questions that don't count against/for you at all.

On the other hand, I haven't looked very hard. If you're worrying about whether or not you can pass the exam with only partially getting a sim correct, you're in the wrong mindset. You're more worried about the exam, rather than the knowledge the exam is trying to validate. I promise you, if you slightly misconfigure a router/switch/firewall, and it causes a major outage, your boss will not be giving you partial credit.

You're better served by spending your time and efforts focusing on doing it right the first time. Do that, and it won't matter whether or not the exams give partial credit - the question will no longer be applicable to you.
    I have plenty of Cisco exam experience, and no one can tell you for sure from just having taken the exams. There's no indication whether the answer was right or wrong when you move on to the next question. As far as I'm aware, Cisco has never made any statements on whether partial credit is given for the non-multiple guess questions, only that some questions/question types are weighted more heavily than others, and sometimes there are beta questions that don't count against/for you at all.

On the other hand, I haven't looked very hard. If you're worrying about whether or not you can pass the exam with only partially getting a sim correct, you're in the wrong mindset. You're more worried about the exam, rather than the knowledge the exam is trying to validate. I promise you, if you slightly misconfigure a router/switch/firewall, and it causes a major outage, your boss will not be giving you partial credit.

You're better served by spending your time and efforts focusing on doing it right the first time. Do that, and it won't matter whether or not the exams give partial credit - the question will no longer be applicable to you.

Good advice....i think exactly like this...but i tried to answer to the question by just giving an opinion...i believed so...i'm not worry because i'm trying to get all right until i get to the exam hour...i followed the academy classes...just finished...but know i need to review and take the exam...
    I'm a little worried cause i see here 90% of the people choosed the 2 exam path..i i'll take the only exam path...but i will review the material..make some more labs...and then i`ll see what happens....
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Good advice....

+1

i'm not worry because i'm trying to get all right until i get to the exam hour...i followed the academy classes...just finished...but know i need to review and take the exam...
    I'm a little worried cause i see here 90% of the people choosed the 2 exam path..i i'll take the only exam path...but i will review the material..make some more labs...and then i`ll see what happens....

I just finished the academy courses as well. Originally, I was thinking of going to 2 test route as I think it might force you to go over the material more. Ive switched to planning on the single exam path though, to hopefully have a month or so off prior to the next class / cert. Im going over it all once again (Odom's books) and shooting for testing in early September.

If you have Odom's official guides, they are quite in depth in most areas of the material. Also, they are a bit more dry than CA discovery / explorer. I wasnt so keen on the round about delivery style of the CA discovery books.

As a side note, I think it was Odom's blog or somewhere in networkworld that I read about partial credit.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    onesaint wrote: »
    +1

I just finished the academy courses as well. Originally, I was thinking of going to 2 test route as I think it might force you to go over the material more. Ive switched to planning on the single exam path though, to hopefully have a month or so off prior to the next class / cert. Im going over it all once again (Odom's books) and shooting for testing in early September.

If you have Odom's official guides, they are quite in depth in most areas of the material. Also, they are a bit more dry than CA discovery / explorer. I wasnt so keen on the round about delivery style of the CA discovery books.

As a side note, I think it was Odom's blog or somewhere in networkworld that I read about partial credit.

I have the Todd Lammle 6th edition book.. i will try to get my hands on the odoms books also...read those..lab more and then brake the exam...good look to you too..