Options

Passed GCIH

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
Today I passed GCIH with a 84%.
Took 3 hours and didn't like how I couldn't mark questions and go back to them (besides the 10 you can skip) it threw off my normal test strategy. I def. felt the exam had a lot of specifics on tools/worms/trojans which made the exam more difficult and required a lot of shuffling through resources.

I self-studied and choose not to take the SANS course. I used Counter Hack Reloaded, and various **** sheets downloaded from SANS and other info built off the course objectives.

I feel pretty great about this achievement and ready to roll this into either [Linux+ or RHCSA] and GCIA. Originally it was going to be right into GCIA, but I am going to be doing a lot with Red Hat in the next few months so I wanted to push for some skills there.
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you feel that your work experience helped you through the exam? I'm always curious about people who challenge these exams. Mostly because you have to choose the resources for the exam. I mean the exam objectives aren't exactly highly detailed on what you need to know. Congrats on the accomplishment. Good luck with the Red Hat stuff!
  • Options
    To some degree yes I have been fighting malware and worms across systems for a while which had a portion of the objectives covered.

Some of the more programmatic objectives like Format String Attacks caused me issues for sure. Counter Hack Reloaded did a pretty solid job preparing me w/all my other certification studies + work experience thrown into the mix.

This was certainly a stressful test experience much like CISSP. GCIH had different challenges then CISSP given CISSP was more of a mental marathon. GCIH self-study I think really made it harder, but looking back and passing w/o having to pay the $$ for SEC 504 feels good.

I do think ill actually pay and take GCIA as I do more Network Security Monitoring now but this is a very new responsibility so the GCIA SEC 503 could really help me at work.

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bravo on the pass. I doubt I could have done any better without having taken SEC504.

SEC503 is a tough one though, I'll warn you. While the GCIH's objectives are rather broad and high-level (relatively speaking), the GCIA dives in towards the abyss. It's the most rewarding technical class I've ever taken. I enjoyed it enough that I still listen to the MP3s during my commute. Mike Poor does a fantastic job keeping you entertained.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats bro! I see you putting in work icon_cheers.gif.
    I'm sure you'll kill the GCIA.
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    Bravo on the pass. I doubt I could have done any better without having taken SEC504.

SEC503 is a tough one though, I'll warn you. While the GCIH's objectives are rather broad and high-level (relatively speaking), the GCIA dives in towards the abyss. It's the most rewarding technical class I've ever taken. I enjoyed it enough that I still listen to the MP3s during my commute. Mike Poor does a fantastic job keeping you entertained.

Yea I could have done better but once I got towards the end of the test and knew I passed I started not thinking so critically on the answers....I know it sounds bad, but I was getting burned out.

As for GCIA I think I will take the course because I have less background in the course objectives...and it would help out at work. I am very excited to get started on GCIA so I think I will be doing Linux+/GCIA together. Maybe 4months? Idk I have 3 week long trips in the next 2 months which could delay cert progress.

• Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Congratulations on the pass!

For someone without the course material, I would say that's an incredible score.

Linux+ shouldn't be too difficult for you, but I recommend spending some quality time on studying for the GCIA as it is challenging even with the course materials. Good luck!
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.