So I have been reconsidering my major at WGU..need some advice.

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I have been thinking about the certs that I'm going to end up with and would like some input from you guys in which path I should take. I just want to be involved in Networks so all of these I'm interested in.

Here is my major that I'm heading for now.

Networks Design and Management

This is another one...

Networks Administration

Then there is this one...Now would this be all the work if I have a criminal record?

Security

I'm pretty sure Security would be the way to go for certification wise but how much will my criminal record hinder me in finding a job in the security field. This is the reason why I didn't sign up to do the security degree in first place.

So if some of you could please give me some input what they think is best program is (even though I think I know.) And I really need some input on any thing that you guys have dealt with criminal records because I think I may switch my Program to the Security program . If you want to know about the offenses just ask it doesn't bother me a bit to talk about that.

Thanks for any input in advance.
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Well, if you are working with a company's networks, then the company may be worried about your criminal record as well.

Personally, if you like security, go towards security. Nothing is worse than ending up with something you hate.

And what kind of criminal charges are we talking about here? (Someone had to ask)
  • AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah pretty much anything to do with Networking I would want to do actually but it would be like settling for second best if I didn't go the Security route.

Far as my record goes most were assault and batteries (also before you guys start thinking I was a bully or something it seems that here in CA where I got in all this trouble "He that wins the fight is the one that gets into trouble"), and drunk in publics. Have 2 DUIs on my record...one with a car wreck and injuries that also ended with me getting a strike. That was back in 2003 I think and that was also the last time I was in trouble because I quit drinking.LOL But that is the only trouble I have ever been in fighting, drunk in publics, and three total dui's, although there were multiple assault and batteries and drunk in publics. I really never had to worry about my record before because I was by trade a tile setter for 14 years.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm doing the networks admin track. It pretty much covers everything that I wanted it to cover except for ICND2. While I don't believe going solely into networks is for me, I do believe every IT position is benefited by having that knowledge. The main difference in the tracks is the certs covered, so look at what you want to do long term on that and you'll choose fine.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    It depends on your criminal record. If its a simple assault charge from 10 years ago it may not matter. If you got out of jail last week for something like fraud, robbery, or some other "crime of moral turpitude" it probably will. It also depends on the position you apply for. You might get an entry level position but never be able to advance if you can't get a security clearance.
    My last assault and battery and drunk in public was well over 10 years ago. The last dui was about 7-8 years ago. I never have been in trouble for fraud, theft, or robbery or anything like that. Like I said I have been in trouble since 2003-2004 when I got the last dui and stopped drinking.
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I think its best to pursue your dreams then waste your time getting a degree you don't like.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go with Networks Admin track. It is shorter and you will get a lot out of it.
    But wouldn't I learn more with the Security program as it has CCNA & CCNAS, plus CCENT, but also has everything the Net Admin program has besides the Server Admin.
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    afcyung wrote: »
    I think its best to pursue your dreams then waste your time getting a degree you don't like.

Exactly.

If the charges hold you back after getting the security focus, then they would probably hold you back in any focus.
    I have went ahead and contacted my mentor and told him I wanted to change programs and he told me not a problem and it just so happens to be my last month on the semester.

Does anyone know how far they go back for a background check or is it just a full background check. Now that I think about it it not really worth worrying about at this point because it's there and nothing I can do about it right now anyway.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    AintRite wrote: »
    I have went ahead and contacted my mentor and told him I wanted to change programs and he told me not a problem and it just so happens to be my last month on the semester.

Does anyone know how far they go back for a background check or is it just a full background check. Now that I think about it it not really worth worrying about at this point because it's there and nothing I can do about it right now anyway.

Actually, don't worry about it.

Just be honest, if it comes up within the time period that you will be investigated for.

Going through a phase, and then correcting yourself means that you learned from the mistakes.

Like a previous poster said, it's not something to worry about.

If this guy can get a job in security, so can you:

Kevin Mitnick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    instant000 wrote: »

We can pretty much call this thread done after this post. icon_cheers.gif
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    AintRite wrote: »
    My last assault and battery and drunk in public was well over 10 years ago. The last dui was about 7-8 years ago. I never have been in trouble for fraud, theft, or robbery or anything like that. Like I said I have been in trouble since 2003-2004 when I got the last dui and stopped drinking.

There are people in working in IT with criminal records who have done things that would make your crap turn blue, so you're pretty much a saint compared to most of them but you won't be able to get a security clearance as easily as someone who is squeaky clean.
    instant000 wrote: »
    Actually, don't worry about it.

Just be honest, if it comes up within the time period that you will be investigated for.

Going through a phase, and then correcting yourself means that you learned from the mistakes.

Like a previous poster said, it's not something to worry about.

Yeah but the difference between me and him is that he has a wealth of experience.icon_lol.gif

Yeah I guess I wanted re-affirmation that I was making the right choice. Thanks to everyone for all the input. I really love this site and wish I had found it a LONG time ago.
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I did Network Admin because after I graduate, all I need to do is study for my ICND2 and I'll have a CCNA, MCITP:SA, and Sec+. Combine that with my 2-3 years of exp, I'm hoping to finally make the jump from NOC to Sys Admin and/or Jr network engineer.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
    I'm trying to find an internship somewhere also. I just made a resume but all I really have IT skills wise is just management skills from all my previous jobs. So it looks a little bare. I just hope to find one or maybe even a night help desk job (not sure if they even have a night shift for help desk positions). Just something to add to my resume for when I graduate.