Worth it to get into Virtualization??

phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am really intrigued and really want to get into virtualization. But the thing is that I would hate to do all of the studying and put in the time to get the certs and then find out that it is a passing fad. Do you all think that virtualization is a thing that will be here for a long time?

Also what would be the best cert path to get into Virtualization?? I have no certs right now.

Thanks

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Virtualization has been around in one form or another for decades going back to mainframe days. It's not going anyway and is hardly a fad considering that most of the major corporations have adopted it in some form or fashion.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Definitely not a passing fad.

It's becoming a required skill for most of the Sys Admins I know.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. What would you say is a good cert path? I was thinking of doing this:

Windows 7 > Wins Server SA > Wins Server Virtualization

Input is greatly appreciated!!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey buddy,

Virtualization is here to stay. I don't think anyone would deny that. Like most things in technology we just don't know what it will look like in a few years. Nevertheless since you are on the Microsoft path you should seriously finish your MCITP: Server admin and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator and then reevaluate when you're done.
    -Daniel
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Just by the fact that you think it's a passing fad I'm going to guess you've never seen VMwares HA or vMotion in action. I'm not sure I would go the MS Virtualization route, VMware is hands down the best and most reliable platform today.

Once you see View on an iPad over 3g you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Stuff is pure magic and blows anything MS has out of the water.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Fad? No way.

Don't forget, there is no reason why you can't use virtualisation (yes, thats an 's' in there ;)) as part of your general studies on your path to Windows 7 certification and beyond. Even playing with something like Virtual PC/VMware Workstation/Virtualbox on your PC, or even better, Hyper-V or free VMware ESXi if you have a suitable system, will be a great start.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The market leader in server virtualization right now is VMware vSphere.
    So get a VCP cert instead of MS Hyper-V.
    There's also application and desktop virtualization.
    So look for a Citrix XenApp cert and Citrix XenDesktop or VMware View cert too.
    Those products are the leader in the market.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm with the guy on going the VMware route. A couple of weeks ago I attended VMware forum Chicago and it was a great event. Certainly one of the best events I've been to filled with great demos. The level of maturity vSphere has achieved in mind blowing.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    The market leader in server virtualization right now is VMware vSphere.
    So get a VCP cert instead of MS Hyper-V.
    There's also application and desktop virtualization.
    So look for a Citrix XenApp cert and Citrix XenDesktop or VMware View cert too.
    Those products are the leader in the market.

I agree that VMware is the clear leader right now, if only because their management suite is so much better.

Cost-conscious customers already choose Hyper-V nowadays, whereas a few years ago, there really was no choice besides VMware.

There is the interesting question of how many iterations will it take before Microsoft catches up to VMware, but I think the more interesting question is on when does Microsoft become "good enough".

To me, it's not there yet, and never will be, simply because Microsoft wants to only run Microsoft stack, whereas VMware is more agnostic, while also having better management.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    To me, it's not there yet, and never will be, simply because Microsoft wants to only run Microsoft stack, whereas VMware is more agnostic, while also having better management.
    Good point. A year or two ago I tried to setup a Linux VM on VirtualPC, it would fail to load the GUI and hang. After several attempts I just gave up (I don't know if the newer version is any better at running non-MS VMs). I found VirtualBox to be better but it's nowhere near as stable as VMware workstation.
  • drinladrinla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently preparing for 659 - in any job interview I got asked first for VMware, and second for Hyper-V experience. A cert certainly helps to get a job. For knowing the systems, play around with all the systems. Hyper-v 2008 R2 is free, as well ESXi, and my advice, do any cert, it helps.

I would go the VMware route, but the downside of VMware cert is, you have to participate in a 1 week training... Expensive - anywhere between $3 - $6k.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, would love to do my VMware cert.

Good luck for everything you do! icon_cheers.gif
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    drinla wrote: »
    Currently preparing for 659 - in any job interview I got asked first for VMware, and second for Hyper-V experience. A cert certainly helps to get a job. For knowing the systems, play around with all the systems. Hyper-v 2008 R2 is free, as well ESXi, and my advice, do any cert, it helps.

I would go the VMware route, but the downside of VMware cert is, you have to participate in a 1 week training... Expensive - anywhere between $3 - $6k.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, would love to do my VMware cert.

Good luck for everything you do! icon_cheers.gif

You can get it done for about $1k now.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/62490-where-can-i-take-vmware-vsphere-install-configure-manage-v4-1-affordable.html
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    or in my case, around $150 (with cost of book) :D
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    I'm jealous, mine was a whopping $200 with book (plus another $52 for the exam). :)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm jealous, mine was a whopping $200 with book (plus another $52 for the exam). :)
    nhan.ng wrote: »

How did you manage this? Community college?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kevozz wrote: »
    How did you manage this? Community college?
    Yup, California community colleges charge $26/unit (last I checked, at least). I believe nhan.ng is taking it as a 3 unit semester long course, whereas I took it at a school on the quarter system, so it was 5 units.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV