Best CCIE (R&S) Job Path For A New CCNA

COYS!COYS! Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are the best kind of jobs for a newly-minted CCNA (R&S) to take who is interested in getting a CCIE (R&S) ASAP, in what fields, and at what kind of companies? What kinds of networking technologies should I be looking to work with and are there any particular companies or fields that would provide me with the maximum amount of exposure to complex networking issues in the shortest amount of time?

As some background, I live in NOVA and I just graduated from GMU with an MS in Telcom with a certificate in Advance Networking Protocols. I am currently unemployed, but I'm beginning to get interviews and second interviews for entry level network engineering and help desk positions. Sometime within the next month or month and a half I plan to take one of these and begin gaining experience to complement my academic credentials and certs (Net+, Sec+, & CCNA so far - some M$, virtualization, and/or *nix certs next most likely depending on the job I take).

Being a first position, I am not going to be too picky but I have a pretty good idea of the state of the market and the local players due to good contacts in the networking and information security business.

I'm not too interested in anything other than R&S and Security, but I enjoy R&S more even though I see the two as intimately related on a technical and philosophical level. I'm also a barred attorney so some form of forensics involving expert witnessing and/or second-chairing trials involving networking or infosec issues is a potential option. Explaining technical subjects to non-technical people is a specialty of mine due to a lifetime of being a geek hobbyist setting up computers and networks for old relatives and friends, but I derive more pleasure from network R&S because I am strange like that.

Any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for moral reasons I will not work for any government agency requiring secret or "better" clearances. This is a hindrance in job opportunities that I am willing to accept and that is not negotiable, but I will not and cannot in good conscience support the growth of the national security state. Sorry for the editorializing but it's just another factor to weigh.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to get the IE your best bet for a fast track is either with Cisco or a large partner. As a fresh grad I'd be more worried about getting some experience though. NOVA is a pretty good place to do that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    COYS! wrote: »
    What are the best kind of jobs for a newly-minted CCNA (R&S) to take who is interested in getting a CCIE (R&S) ASAP, in what fields, and at what kind of companies? What kinds of networking technologies should I be looking to work with and are there any particular companies or fields that would provide me with the maximum amount of exposure to complex networking issues in the shortest amount of time?

As some background, I live in NOVA and I just graduated from GMU with an MS in Telcom with a certificate in Advance Networking Protocols. I am currently unemployed, but I'm beginning to get interviews and second interviews for entry level network engineering and help desk positions. Sometime within the next month or month and a half I plan to take one of these and begin gaining experience to complement my academic credentials and certs (Net+, Sec+, & CCNA so far - some M$, virtualization, and/or *nix certs next most likely depending on the job I take).

Being a first position, I am not going to be too picky but I have a pretty good idea of the state of the market and the local players due to good contacts in the networking and information security business.

I'm not too interested in anything other than R&S and Security, but I enjoy R&S more even though I see the two as intimately related on a technical and philosophical level. I'm also a barred attorney so some form of forensics involving expert witnessing and/or second-chairing trials involving networking or infosec issues is a potential option. Explaining technical subjects to non-technical people is a specialty of mine due to a lifetime of being a geek hobbyist setting up computers and networks for old relatives and friends, but I derive more pleasure from network R&S because I am strange like that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for moral reasons I will not work for any government agency requiring secret or "better" clearances. This is a hindrance in job opportunities that I am willing to accept and that is not negotiable, but I will not and cannot in good conscience support the growth of the national security state.

Its plenty of jobs here for guys with out clearances. Trust me your not the only one here. As soon as my reserve time is up I'm letting mine go also. Hitup the ISPs' in the Ashburn, Reston areas. ALso At&T has a office out in Oakton, but you ususally have to have experience to get in there, but often a fresh college grad can bounce in.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

EDIT: Oh yeah, for moral reasons I will not work for any government agency requiring secret or "better" clearances. This is a hindrance in job opportunities that I am willing to accept and that is not negotiable, but I will not and cannot in good conscience support the growth of the national security state.

It is possible you can score a job at a local firm. There are several that are known to utilize IT professionals as staff but you'll have to learn a lot more than what you know. With what you have under your belt, you're not gonna be able to get the kind of job you want so you should look for something to keep you afloat for the time being.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cisco partner or noc shifts that give you time to study!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Then you may want to move out of NoVA or the entire DC Metro region. The biggest IT employer up here is all federal contracts. You're chances are limited otherwise.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want to get the IE your best bet for a fast track is either with Cisco or a large partner.
    But with just a CCNA you may stand a better chance with a smaller Cisco Business partner of getting a chance to talk yourself into a job. Then use that experience to upgrade to a bigger partner.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    mikej412 wrote: »
    But with just a CCNA you may stand a better chance with a smaller Cisco Business partner of getting a chance to talk yourself into a job. Then use that experience to upgrade to a bigger partner.

I'm working on this now. I have my CCNA and the place I'm looking at is only a Silver partner. This doesn't mean that I have to hit CCIE almost immediately when you join on. Will I need to look to CCNP, probably but it at least affords me the opportunity to not come into an immediately stressful environment with tons of pressure to get my certs up.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If you're considering working in a NOC I'd say do that for maybe a year and study for your CCNP. Do a good job, do well under pressure when the network takes a ****, and have good troubleshooting skills.

From there you could shoot for a TAC position, and work on CCIP, CCIE or whatever.

Cisco business partner does sound a little more attractive though icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • COYS!COYS! Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the speedy and useful replies!

Right now I am definitely all about getting experience at any level. Getting into this I knew I'd have to start at the bottom so pride and ego mean nothing to me in that regard.

I'm great at studying for and taking tests, but I don't want to be one of those credential heavy people without much experience. That's also been the first recommendation from those whom I trust and who have extensive experience in the IT business, on the infosec, R&S, and most importantly from the project management/hiring side. It's nice to hear it echoed by the replies.

I've been thinking about angling towards a NOC third shift position because I hate heavy commuting and I can take my kickboxing classes, jog, study, and do other things during the day instead of at night when the classes/tracks/etc are packed. I never considered the studying at work angle though. That's great!

And pressure doesn't bother me really. It just adds to the satisfaction and pleasure I get from completing tough tasks. So a NOC position sounds like a good route for me. <insert ringshot>

But first things first: experience. Are there any volunteer opportunities for community organizations regarding computer or networking issues? I can't think of any but someone else might.

And to get an entry level help desk type position is it worth it to get an A+? It wouldn't take too long for me considering my geek background. Also it's hard for me to wrap my head around the MS certification paths. What would be some useful MS certs for an entry level help desk position? I see that some can be used to later qualify for the MCITP:EA, but I don't know which one of those would be most useful for a newbie. Any thoughts?
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    1. <DELETED ... you don't want a GOV job requiring a clearance.>
    2. A+ is not too related to what you want to be doing. It cannot really help you.
    3. Don't stop learning. Even if you stop certifying for a while, no need to stop learning. You don't want your brain going dead in the meantime. IT is a career of perpetual learning.
    4. Go for the CCNA:S
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • COYS!COYS! Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    1. <DELETED ... you don't want a GOV job requiring a clearance.>
    2. A+ is not too related to what you want to be doing. It cannot really help you.
    3. Don't stop learning. Even if you stop certifying for a while, no need to stop learning. You don't want your brain going dead in the meantime. IT is a career of perpetual learning.
    4. Go for the CCNA:S

Cool. Thanks. The CCNA:S was my next planned move after I land my first job, but I could begin studying for it immediately regardless. Why not? I'll have to start researching my lab requirements to check out whether I'll need some new toys to play with then.:)

I'm clueless about MS since I stopped gaming about four or five years ago and quit using Windows, and I was never really a power user or anything. I just knew enough to get the games working and get myself connected to the Internet. And the MS cert paths are harder for me to follow than the other vendors' paths for some reason.

So about getting that first job, how about a MCP? I have read that Win7 rollouts are happening really quickly, so would it be better get a Win7 related cert rather than a Vista or WinXP cert to help land that first job? Most of the entry level ads involving MS that I read say WinXP and Win7 experience is desired. If I were just going for one which should I get?

I also see that the 70-620, 70-680, or 70-681 can be used to get an MCITP:EA after I got an MCITP:SA if I want to do that. If I pass one of those first three exams I would officially be a "MCP" right?
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Cool. Thanks. The CCNA:S was my next planned move after I land my first job, but I could begin studying for it immediately regardless. Why not? I'll have to start researching my lab requirements to check out whether I'll need some new toys to play with then.:)

I'm clueless about MS since I stopped gaming about four or five years ago and quit using Windows, and I was never really a power user or anything. I just knew enough to get the games working and get myself connected to the Internet. And the MS cert paths are harder for me to follow than the other vendors' paths for some reason.

So about getting that first job, how about a MCP? I have read that Win7 rollouts are happening really quickly, so would it be better get a Win7 related cert rather than a Vista or WinXP cert to help land that first job? Most of the entry level ads involving MS that I read say WinXP and Win7 experience is desired. If I were just going for one which should I get?

I also see that the 70-620, 70-680, or 70-681 can be used to get an MCITP:EA after I got an MCITP:SA if I want to do that. If I pass one of those first three exams I would officially be a "MCP" right?

Get Windows XP and any Windows Server-related certs you can. Just about everyone around here is still using XP Professional. That's what you need around here right now. Windows 8 certs will be the game to get in the near future because that's what companies will be moving to after XP. Windows 7 has some traction but Windows 8 is what many companies will be using when it comes out because that is when they will be doing their hardware and software upgrades from XP/Vista-grade hardware and software which is what they use now.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103

You started out wanting to know what your best path would be going from CCNA to CCIE, so why do you want to study for Windows certs? Microsoft certification won't do anything to mold you into a network engineer. Maybe at this point in your career you need to explore and figure out what it is you really would like to do in I.T.

Whatever certifications you pursue, try to do what you are most interested in. They will all help you get the next higher paying job...but if you are trying to figure out which certification will MOST LIKELY get you a job that sounds to me like you are on a path to having your career path directed by the whims of whoever happens to be employing you at the time, and not what YOU really want to do.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.