Here come the job offers!

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
I just got an offer for a "Lead Analyst - Enterprise Messaging" position that I've been interviewing for... (see my other thread about the interviews, it's the company from the 1st post). A BIG THANK YOU to everybody here that helped me with my resume and offered encouragement through my job search.

Base salary offer is $87,500... it's a bit lower than what I was hoping for, but not a surprise. It's more than I make now, and more than what the internal recruiter told me it would pay. I don't think they will go any higher, I asked.

Pros:
Work from home most of the time.
Company credit card for travel expenses.
Spend 2 weeks per quarter at company headquarters, all expenses paid.
Company provided laptop.
Choice of Blackberry, iPhone, or Windows Phone 7, for a mobile device, with service plan, all paid for.
Pension.
13 paid holidays.
1 day of vacation per month, max 10 per year for 1st 5 years.
Very large and profitible Fortune 500 company that has been in business for over 100 years.
Chance to work on a very large Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration.
Cons:
Sounds like a minimum of 45-50 hour work weeks. I very rarely work over 40 hours a week in my current job. If I break the pay down hourly, this salary would only be a $0.10/hr raise with 45 hour weeks, and about a $3.60/hr pay cut if I averaged 50 hour work weeks.

I've included a copy of the job description below. The offer is valid until July 8th.
Lead Analyst - Enterprise Messaging.

This position can sit in any company facility in the United States or a home office based in the United States.

This role will be part of a global team tasked with providing messaging services for company’s 55,000+ Exchange user environment. This includes design, administration and support of company’s messaging environment (including mobile and unified messaging infrastructure) on a worldwide basis.

Essential Functions of the position include:

- Provide level 2 and 3 infrastructure support for
• Microsoft Exchange/Outlook/OWA
• Microsoft Office Communication Server (OCS) Instant messaging
• Blackberry and Windows Mobile
• Unified Messaging and RightFax
• Secure Messaging via PGP and ZixMail

- Benchmark, evaluate, design, and recommended upgrade path for future versions of
• Exchange
• Unified Messaging
• RightFax
• Mobile Messaging

- Identify industry trends and potential enterprise messaging solutions across multiple technologies that fit company’s business.

- Develop and lead creation of enterprise messaging standards.

- Consistently utilize key ITIL processes (problem management, change management, configuration management) in support of the environment

- Perform messaging integration activities related to business acquisitions and divestitures.
Establish processes and documentation in order for Service Desk to provide level 1 messaging support.

- Design, implement, and support administrative tools for Active Directory and Exchange to allow activities in a SOX-compliant manner

- Analyze messaging environment, establish performance metrics and assist in capacity planning. Implements changes to increase performance efficiency and adjustments as needed.

- Work with other infrastructure groups to provide technical support, problem resolution, and training where applicable.

- Provide information to Security and Legal departments as needed (Investigations, Hold orders)

- Serve as a consultative resource for technologies that interface with email.

Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3 yrs experience in a Microsoft Messaging environment with a Fortune 1000 Organization
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Minimum 3 years experience in a Microsoft Messaging Environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- No relocation benefit is offered for this position.

I have a feeling I may be getting an offer from another company tomorrow for an Exchange Architect position, so I'm glad the offer letter says I have until the 8th. I'd really love to be able to walk in to work tomorrow and hand in my resignation, but I know it's better if I wait until I accept an offer and have a start date established. I think I should probably give the other company I am expecting an offer from until at least the 6th to give me an offer. I don't want to pass this job up, but at the same time I'd hate to accept it only to receive a better offer right after doing so.

What do you guys think? Should I tell the other company that I'm expecting an offer from that I have received this offer? Or should I wait to see if they give me one first?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! The job sounds great.

I say wait. If you get too excited it may backfire. Don't ask me how I know this.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much of a raise is it once you factor in benefits and the fact you don't have to drive to work?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    How much of a raise is it once you factor in benefits and the fact you don't have to drive to work?

Good question, and one I have certainly taken into account.

Saves me roughly $1600/yr in gas alone. I only live 13 miles away from where I currently work. Even with my truck getting 15mpg at best, my gas costs aren't that high.

That being said, there aren't any IT jobs available as close to me as my current job. I would have to increase my commute to anywhere from 60 to 90 miles 1 way and drive out to the Chicago area for almost anything else. So the savings over taking a job in that area are quite a bit higher.

The only reason I haven't accepted it yet, is because the other job offer I am anticipating will also allow me to work from home ~90% of the time, but could have a considerably higher starting salary. I will be accepting this one if the other offer doesn't come through in the next day or 2. If the other offer does come in, and it is any higher than this one, I'll be able to go back to this company and say "I'm really interested in this job, but I have an offer for comparable job for $xxx,xxx, can you beat their offer?" Should be win-win for me.
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that offer looks tantalizingicon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
    Lol, you have no idea how hard it is to not be sitting here writing my resignation letter right now! My boss will probably be here in about 30 minutes, and I'd love to just be able to hand him a resignation offer when he walks in the door.

I know I need to wait until I've accepted an offer and have established a start date with a new employer though.

So instead I'm taking care of my work and preparing for a meeting I have coming up in a couple hours that I don't really want to go to. Damn me for being responsible! :p
    Everyone wrote: »
    Lol, you have no idea how hard it is to not be sitting here writing my resignation letter right now! My boss will probably be here in about 30 minutes, and I'd love to just be able to hand him a resignation offer when he walks in the door.

I know I need to wait until I've accepted an offer and have established a start date with a new employer though.

So instead I'm taking care of my work and preparing for a meeting I have coming up in a couple hours that I don't really want to go to. Damn me for being responsible! :p
    please ensure your start date with your new employer before you tender your resignation letter.Have your offer letter from your new employer first before closing the door on your old employer.icon_wink.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
    nethacker wrote: »
    please ensure your start date with your new employer before you tender your resignation letter.Have your offer letter from your new employer first before closing the door on your old employer.icon_wink.gif

As hard as it is to do, that is exactly what I'm doing. ;) I have the offer letter in hand already, I just haven't signed (accepted) it and sent it back to them yet.

The office is going to be empty today, most everybody took a PTO day for the holiday weekend. It's so tempting to be cleaning out my desk right now... must resist! icon_lol.gif
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As hard as it is to do, that is exactly what I'm doing. ;) I have the offer letter in hand already, I just haven't signed (accepted) it and sent it back to them yet.

The office is going to be empty today, most everybody took a PTO day for the holiday weekend. It's so tempting to be cleaning out my desk right now... must resist! icon_lol.gif

Yea, our office is pretty empty here as well, even though we have a half day before a holiday. Great you are being responsible, just do what is right for you as this point and time and for the near future. Seems that you have made wise choices thus far so you shouldn't be worried about the decision you make.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

@ the bold part, did i hear you say you have not signed it? icon_surprised.gif If i were you,that offer letter with you would have been in the mail before today:D..what if your new employer change its mind? you know the contract has not been signed yet icon_thumright.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
    nethacker wrote: »
    @ the bold part, did i hear you say you have not signed it? icon_surprised.gif If i were you,that offer letter with you would have been in the mail before today:D..what if your new employer change its mind? you know the contract has not been signed yet icon_thumright.gif

I just received the offer late last night... already told them I'd be getting back to them today.

I just called and left a voicemail for the hiring manager of the other company I am expecting an offer from to let him know I received this offer, and ask if they have any intention of giving me an offer. Hopefully he calls back soon.
    After getting home from work and giving the offer another look, I've decided to accept it. While looking it over again, I noticed that they company pays for medical and dental insurance. All the other companies I've worked for have offered medical and dental insurance, but it all gets taken out of your pay, so to have a company par it is pretty big I think.

I also found a pretty good discussion on LinkedIn about accepting another offer after you've already accepted one... Accepting an offer after already accepting an offer | LinkedIn Answers | LinkedIn
    Well it's official. I had my start date confirmed, so I turned in my resignation today. I'll be starting my new job on the 18th. I'll fly out to their headquarters for a few weeks then back home to work from home. Yay for not having to relocate!

It took all freaking day to catch my boss, and I had to hold him up from another meeting to hand in my resignation. It had to be done today, 'cause he's off the rest of the week! All he could say was "I don't suppose there's anything we could do to get you to stay?". I'm sure he'll have more to say on Monday. Going to be busy dumping projects off on to people starting tomorrow
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats on the new position.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on the new position. Thats pretty fantastic, telecommuting.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! Sounds like an awesome opportunity.
  • tofuninjahtofuninjah Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow, that sounds awesome, congrats! :)
  • lockdnloadedlockdnloaded Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man that is a great position to be in! Congrats!
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position man!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Thanks all, I can't wait to get started!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with the new gig!icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.