Options

Looking for help with cert path

phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am somewhat of a beginner in the IT field. I have gone to school for a 2 year "diploma" in IT. I finally got a new IT job after a year and a half. I have 2 years of experience in Help Desk. I am looking to get started on my voyage into the land of certifications. I have a pretty good knowledge of PCs, so I don't think I would need the A+. I think that I want to start off with MS certs but not sure.

Any help would be great!!!

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A few I would recommend

MS 70-680: not for the feint of heart
    CCNA: Cisco certifications are respected. I've worked in 6 different environments and I have never heard anyone talk bad about Cisco certifications. It's the only certification I can say this about.
    Security +: This CompTIA exam keeps gaining traction. No labbing required just read Darrell Gibson's security + book and you are set. This is "low hanging fruit" and can really strengthen your resume. This will require a lot less time than the others.

With all that being said you will ultimately have to choose the route you want to go. If you aren't sure do security + while you ponder your decision.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    A few I would recommend

MS 70-680: not for the feint of heart
    CCNA: Cisco certifications are respected. I've worked in 6 different environments and I have never heard anyone talk bad about Cisco certifications. It's the only certification I can say this about.
    Security +: This CompTIA exam keeps gaining traction. No labbing required just read Darrell Gibson's security + book and you are set. This is "low hanging fruit" and can really strengthen your resume. This will require a lot less time than the others.

With all that being said you will ultimately have to choose the route you want to go. If you aren't sure do security + while you ponder your decision.

+1 Good advice here. Security+ would be a good starting point. You could also go the 680/685 route and get your MCITP:EST cert. It all depends on what you are interested in.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start with CompTIA N+/S+, MCSA ..., remember don't just go after the certification. Also, look into the local job position and see what type of skill set that they are looking for.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    RobinwoodRobinwood Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys ! you have even made me clear on taking the right decisions.... i too was waiting for the same answer for the same question... Thanks and Regards icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Robinwood wrote: »
    Thanks guys ! you have even made me clear on taking the right decisions.... i too was waiting for the same answer for the same question... Thanks and Regards icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

Glad we could assist