About to throw this POS out the door :(

yallaenyallaen Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, now that I"ve vented..

Running Win7 64 bit. I dont know if that will make a difference. There are some that say yes, some that say no...

So, like all, I'm working on my ccna security cert.

I have GNS3 d/l'ed and installed on my computer. As an aside, I don't like it that well. It's too bulky for my taste; perhaps Packet Tracer spoiled me. Maybe Cisco will get their act together and allow SDM to work with it..but that's another topic..

So, the first thing I want to know, what particular IOS should I be trying to install? I've looked at several videos online today, and there were some good ones. For example, I had the IOS for a 2610xm advanced security. I loaded that into GNS3. I was able to create a cloud, connect the cloud to the router...had the loopback adapter configured...yada yada...but when I tried to connect SDM to the router, it first said either the IP address was wrong, or HTTP/HTTPS wasnt configured. So then I did a http server command. But then SDM kept saying it wanted a username and password, and I hadn't configured one icon_sad.gif

SO then I tried to do a username and password command, but it wouldnt take them!

So, can someone lend a hand...
1. what IOS should I grab?
2. What device should I associate it with?
3. does SDM work on a pc with win7 64 bit?
4. why does it keep asking for a username/password.

What am I missing??? icon_rolleyes.gif

I've screwed with this all freaking day, and didn't accomplish anything on my only day off.

Comments

• Maced129Maced129 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Add a privilege 15 username and pw into the router that isn't cisco into the router via command line first.

Roll back your Java version as well. I used JREversions6 release 10 (SDM is end of life, your going to have to do this for it to be fully functional). Also try adding "ip http authentication local." or something of that to the router.

Should have nothing to do with the IOS.
    Here is the commands you will need in order to get SDM working...

aaa new-model
    aaa authe login AAA_LIST_NAME local

username "notcisco" priv 15 secret "notpassword"

int fa0/0
    ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0 (generic IP)
    no shut

ip http server
    ip http secure-server
    ip http authe local

line con 0
    privi level 15
    login authe AAA_LIST_NAME
    line vty 0 15
    privi level 15
    login authe AAA_LIST_NAME

Note: you probably don't need a few of those commands but it should work after that, if your java is the correct version)

let me know if it works
  • yallaenyallaen Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, got home tonight. Fired up GNS3. Tried to pull out a router with an IOS installed. When I start it then try and console into it, it is stuck, and remains stuck.

I've tried reloading it, and I've tried restarting the program. But it continues to be stuck at "press enter to get the prompt".

I can't even put in the suggested configs to try and get this thing going. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try and delete the program and reinstall it, and reload the IOS and try from there.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Option #1: Try a different IOS. I use c3640-jk9s-mz.124-16.image and it works well.

Option #2: Have you unpacked the 2600 series image? Download GNS3 from SourceForge.net I think you're supposed to do that for the 2600 routers.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    Here are the IOS images I have:

c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-25c.bin
    c2600-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-21a.bin
    c2600-ipbase-mz.124-15.T14.bin
    c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin

I've tried several of these. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the program, then reinstall the IOS's. It keeps getting stuck. Sometimes it will start to unpack, get the "ok" then just sit there.

I'll try and find another IOS. I can't believe I'm having so many issues to get to SDM and it's going to be legacy..and still on the cert test icon_sad.gif

Any other suggestions? I've got the microsoft loopback adapter in place. I've got a cloud built, and a router pulled in, connected. I start it and then when I try to console in, urgh
    yallaen wrote: »
    Here are the IOS images I have:

c2600-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-21a.bin
    c2600-ipbase-mz.124-15.T14.bin
    c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin

I've tried several of these. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the program, then reinstall the IOS's. It keeps getting stuck. Sometimes it will start to unpack, get the "ok" then just sit there.

I'll try and find another IOS. I can't believe I'm having so many issues to get to SDM and it's going to be legacy..and still on the cert test icon_sad.gif

Any other suggestions? I've got the microsoft loopback adapter in place. I've got a cloud built, and a router pulled in, connected. I start it and then when I try to console in, urgh

I use 3700 series routers in GNS3 and have no issues.
    Try upacking the IOS images in WinRAR (just double click and move the uncompressed image to your GNS3 IOS directory folder). Also don't forget to change it to the new uncompressed image in the IOS hypervisor option.
    I've d/led the IOS to a folder on my laptop.
    I then start GNS3; I steer the the configure IOS, etc...to the IOS on my laptop. Am I missing a step? I guess I don't understand about unpacking...it's not zipped. DO I need to drag the file to a specific location?
    Ok, so I started from scratch tonight.
    I was told to try anything OTHER than a 2600 router. So I got the IOS for a 3640 router. Got it up and running. I created a cloud, put in my Loopback Adapter..could ping from my desktop to the router. So far, so good.

I then fired up SDM 2.5. I'm running Firefox v5.0...and it was having issues with the pop-up blocker. Had to turn it completely off..and TADA!

I did have to set the initial HTTP Server settings, and set username and password. I guess SDM DOES need that, and looks for that. I know, I know, that's good practice to set a username and password. But I was just trying to configure a scenario to test this..go figure...

ALl appears well! Now to start doing some labs and get this party started!!

Thanks all!
    cool, glad it's working. have fun with SDM... icon_wink.gif (it's a pain)

about the "unpacking"
    Cisco Router IOS's are compressed. When you uncompress them with a program like winRar it makes the files larger and it makes it easier and faster for GNS3 to run the router IOS's.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Maced129 wrote: »
    cool, glad it's working. have fun with SDM... icon_wink.gif (it's a pain)

about the "unpacking"
    Cisco Router IOS's are compressed. When you uncompress them with a program like winRar it makes the files larger and it makes it easier and faster for GNS3 to run the router IOS's.

Yeah, if you note when a physical router normally boots up, it actually unpacks the file, and then loads it.

If you uncompress the file, there is no need to unpack it, and it just boots up right away.

In this case, we're assuming your physical computer has more space for the image than your physical router would.

With the files uncompressed already, it SIGNIFICANTLY speeds up the boot time.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    I just spend the past 30 minutes setting up a topology to start working with. I did a copy run start..and a wri mem..which should be the same thing. I could see that my startup-config was "saved" in nvram.

I then saved the config topology within GNS3.

When I came back later, I started GNS3, opened my saved file...and my router had no config on it! What did I do wrong?
  • stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just spend the past 30 minutes setting up a topology to start working with. I did a copy run start..and a wri mem..which should be the same thing. I could see that my startup-config was "saved" in nvram.

I then saved the config topology within GNS3.

When I came back later, I started GNS3, opened my saved file...and my router had no config on it! What did I do wrong?

What I normally do is save the config to a text file. Then on the screen where you normally set the IOS images, you can also tell it what config file to use at boot up; This is where I/you could set the text file for that particular IOS image.
    So, the purpose of a simulator is to simulate real-world..
    It seems counter productive to have to save your config in a text file, and then have the program be pointed to a config file...to load each time you load your topology...icon_rolleyes.gif

I should be able to do this like Packet Tracer...build my config, save it in the router...then save the topology..everything saves..I then come back and it opens where I left off...
  • stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, the purpose of a simulator is to simulate real-world..
    It seems counter productive to have to save your config in a text file, and then have the program be pointed to a config file...to load each time you load your topology...icon_rolleyes.gif

I should be able to do this like Packet Tracer...build my config, save it in the router...then save the topology..everything saves..I then come back and it opens where I left off...

I believe you can save it as a project, which then you have the option to save the start up configs etc.