Done with R&S Written

Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
Just got back from the test center, and murdered the R&S Written Exam.

Honestly, it was alot easier than I expected, after hearing all of the complaining about it. For me, it was like taking a composite CCNP exam, on all of the subjects the CCNP covered at once. There was a little bit of stupid trivia thrown in, but process of elimination worked well to where I was reasonably comfortable with my answers. There was also a little bit of laughability, as I swear they asked me the same question three times, just three different ways.

I spent about 7 months prepping for this, but I probably could have passed it after 4. I took a little bit different approach, and went back and assumed I knew nothing. Primary study materials were the Odom CCIE R&S Cert Guide, Routing TCP/IP 1 and 2, and Kennedy Clark LAN Switching. For actual test preparation, I used the questions on the Odom book's CD (which are EXCELLENT), and the Boson MaxSim product.

The Odom and Boson exam sims are very representative of the actual exam in regards to content covered, and situations. If you use them to prepare for the Written, and then go back and research/learn *why* you missed the questions you did, you will be very well served. For me, practice tests are pretty much one use only, once I've seen the answer to the question, I will remember it, which is why if it's not obvious why I missed something (misread the question, didn't pay close enough attention to the exhibit, etc), I go look it up immediately.

I actually sped this up a bit, I wasn't really planning to take this until the end of the month, but Jason's recent pass of the Lab seems to have lit a fire under my ass :)

Comments

• reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Congratulations! Now join me in the labbing in the hunt for the lab :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    good job and good luck with your lab attempt!
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Congratulations. Clock is ticking now.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Congratulations. Clock is ticking now.

Yup, I know it. Hopefully life leaves me alone over the next 9 months or so :)
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Congrats man! Good luck as you press on. Did you choose your vendor yet for lab prep?
    Congrats man! Good luck as you press on. Did you choose your vendor yet for lab prep?

Yup, I subscribed to the INE all access pass a few moths ago, that's why I PM'd you about how useful it was, wanted to make sure I had the right vendor.

And I found Petr's blog post that you made reference to, and that plan looks not only logical, but sane, so I'll be doing that. I had one my 3550's die, and it's replacement should be here later today, so after a couple days to recuperate (I've been studying my ass off for the past two weeks straight), it'll be back into the breach.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Yup, I subscribed to the INE all access pass a few moths ago, that's why I PM'd you about how useful it was, wanted to make sure I had the right vendor.

And I found Petr's blog post that you made reference to, and that plan looks not only logical, but sane, so I'll be doing that. I had one my 3550's die, and it's replacement should be here later today, so after a couple days to recuperate (I've been studying my ass off for the past two weeks straight), it'll be back into the breach.
    Can you please repost "Petr's blog post" ?
    thanks
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup, I subscribed to the INE all access pass a few moths ago,

Congrats and don't let the "moths" get into your new 3550!:) icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote: »
    Congrats and don't let the "moths" get into your new 3550!:) icon_wink.gif

I'm pretty sure the dead one just has a bum power supply, but as cheap as 3550's have gotten, it was easier to buy a new one from a reputable dealer than to get a new PS, so screw it. I'm amazed how far the price has fallen on them
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on the pass! Next time I'm in your neck of the woods the drinks will be on me to celebrate

Makes me wonder about taking the written before completing the CCIP... hmm
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    down77 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! Next time I'm in your neck of the woods the drinks will be on me to celebrate

I would sincerely recommend passing the QoS and BGP exams. You might be able to skate a bit on the MPLS knowledge, but it'd be better to take the MPLS exam anyway, since you'll need it for the lab.

Keep in mind that my comparison to a big composite CCNP is not valid for the current CCNP, as I passed the previous revision, so that's where I cut my teeth on alot of these subjects. You definitely want to get very familiar with QoS before you even think about the Written.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure the dead one just has a bum power supply, but as cheap as 3550's have gotten, it was easier to buy a new one from a reputable dealer than to get a new PS, so screw it. I'm amazed how far the price has fallen on them

Yea, I hear ya on that. I can't believe how much I paid for my (2) EMI-POE 3550s a little while back and what they are selling for now.icon_sad.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

down77 wrote: »

Yea me too. Still bugs me that I have to take the ROUTE exam because my BSCI expired a couple of months ago, in order to complete CCIP. Too much concentration on the DP, I guess.....icon_sad.gif

Excellent job man. Best of luck on your journey towards the practical.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done :)

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    ITdude wrote: »
    Yea me too. Still bugs me that I have to take the ROUTE exam because my BSCI expired a couple of months ago, in order to complete CCIP. Too much concentration on the DP, I guess.....icon_sad.gif

If I makes you feel any better, I had to take the BSCI twice.... once from two revisions ago (back when the CIT exam still existed) and again before it switched over to the ROUTE exam. So I know *exactly* how you feel. There's something about that exam that sucks your soul out and makes you want to drag your feet.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    If I makes you feel any better, I had to take the BSCI twice.... once from two revisions ago (back when the CIT exam still existed) and again before it switched over to the ROUTE exam. So I know *exactly* how you feel. There's something about that exam that sucks your soul out and makes you want to drag your feet.

Sounds like me! I took the BSCI and the CIT and then slacked, which is why I am doing the ROUTE exam friday. Great advice on refreshing on BGP/QoS before doing the written. There is no harm in reinforcing the knowledge before stepping things up a bit.

I look forward to reading your CCIE Lab progression notes/blog/screaming fits of rage. Again great job on the pass!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just got back from the test center, and murdered the R&S Written Exam.

Honestly, it was alot easier than I expected, after hearing all of the complaining about it. For me, it was like taking a composite CCNP exam, on all of the subjects the CCNP covered at once. There was a little bit of stupid trivia thrown in, but process of elimination worked well to where I was reasonably comfortable with my answers. There was also a little bit of laughability, as I swear they asked me the same question three times, just three different ways.

I spent about 7 months prepping for this, but I probably could have passed it after 4. I took a little bit different approach, and went back and assumed I knew nothing. Primary study materials were the Odom CCIE R&S Cert Guide, Routing TCP/IP 1 and 2, and Kennedy Clark LAN Switching. For actual test preparation, I used the questions on the Odom book's CD (which are EXCELLENT), and the Boson MaxSim product.

The Odom and Boson exam sims are very representative of the actual exam in regards to content covered, and situations. If you use them to prepare for the Written, and then go back and research/learn *why* you missed the questions you did, you will be very well served. For me, practice tests are pretty much one use only, once I've seen the answer to the question, I will remember it, which is why if it's not obvious why I missed something (misread the question, didn't pay close enough attention to the exhibit, etc), I go look it up immediately.

I actually sped this up a bit, I wasn't really planning to take this until the end of the month, but Jason's recent pass of the Lab seems to have lit a fire under my ass :)

Welcome to the party Forsaken! Slogging away at the written like that is the way to pass it, you certainly spent many hours doing a lot of through preparation there. If you can keep up the lab practice daily I think you will go well. It's good you referenced Kennedy Clark LAN Switching, many candidates skip that reading these days. You might check out 360 if you can get your employer to pay for it as I hear the mock exams are very good.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations!

I blew the BSCI (Route) exam out of the water.

Strangely, BCMSN caned me the first time out...
    Turgon wrote: »
    Welcome to the party Forsaken! Slogging away at the written like that is the way to pass it, you certainly spent many hours doing a lot of through preparation there. If you can keep up the lab practice daily I think you will go well. It's good you referenced Kennedy Clark LAN Switching, many candidates skip that reading these days. You might check out 360 if you can get your employer to pay for it as I hear the mock exams are very good.

The Clark LAN book I consider to be the switching bible, much the way Doyle is the routing bible. It's a little dated, and the configuration examples aren't exactly relevant, but the only better dissertation I've found on how layer 2 works is Radia Perlman's Interconnections, and there's no better explanation about how it works on Cisco gear.

Employer isn't likely to pay for much, which is a point of contention for me (I had a verbal agreement with my manager to get some aid, then we got bought, and all bets were off, and my new manager isn't quite as willing to lend me a hand), so I'll likely take the common route of taking a Narbik boot camp and getting access to 360 that way.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats what Happened to me last year.. got verbral agreements and when it was time they backed down then moved me to a different client to support.. through me for a loop..
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!