Options

Cisco To Fire 10,000 People

L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
Wow, that's about all I can say. I dunno if this is 100% accurate, but if it is that's pretty crazy.
I bring nothing useful to the table...

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Blimey - they had in Q3 73k employees - that certainly is a massive cut ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, that's about all I can say. I dunno if this is 100% accurate, but if it is that's pretty crazy.

I hate to break the news but Cisco have peaked and are in decline.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Hrm, that makes me wonder if Papa John's keynote address today will actually be his curtain call.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    I hate to break the news but Cisco have peaked and are in decline.

I never have doubted that, but I guess it just shows how even the major players aren't safe anymore. It's still a little shocking to see a company that major faltering like that.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never have doubted that, but I guess it just shows how even the major players aren't safe anymore. It's still a little shocking to see a company that major faltering like that.

There are no safe jobs. It will be defence contractors next.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They made similar cuts back in the early 00's yet are double the size overall these days.
  • Options

Yeah I think the defense contractors will be hurting once combat operations die down in Afghanistan and Iraq. I however don't think most gov contractors working in other areas will see much damage done.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got this link from the comments

Search Results - Cisco Career Connection - Cisco Systems

They are still hiring overseas
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    They made similar cuts back in the early 00's yet are double the size overall these days.

That's interesting. I haven't really followed Cisco that much. I just noticed this and thought "wow".
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    10,000 more techs on the market looking for a job?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Time to start learning JunOS?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I think this will be for the product lines they are no longer going to be putting money into. Also they will use this as a excuse to trim the fat from other org's that are spending more than they bring in. This is why I always wonder about the investment into a IE in other tracks than R&S. While no doubt Cisco will remain a market leader like M$ they will constantly be getting picked away by the Junipers, Brocades, in areas they can specialize in and do it better than cisco
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Got this link from the comments

Search Results - Cisco Career Connection - Cisco Systems

They are still hiring overseas

And I totally plan on apply for their overseas positions later on.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    What this means to me is that after my CCNP I'll be looking into Juniper and Brocade as well. roflmao.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□

Exactly....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SECURE JOB OR BUSINESS, THERE ARE ONLY "SECURE" PEOPLE icon_exclaim.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Yeah I think the defense contractors will be hurting once combat operations die down in Afghanistan and Iraq. I however don't think most gov contractors working in other areas will see much damage done.

This is why I left the defense industry last year. Salaries were going down, and the skill level of the engineers kept getting worse as the requirements had to go down cause most Engineer with good pay weren't leaving there old jobs.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    This is why I left the defense industry last year. Salaries were going down, and the skill level of the engineers kept getting worse as the requirements had to go down cause most Engineer with good pay weren't leaving there old jobs.

I see the skill level keep dropping. I was amazed at some of the people they were hiring on defense contracts.

Prime example: Systems Admin that didn't know what RAID was, or how to configure it.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I see the skill level keep dropping. I was amazed at some of the people they were hiring on defense contracts.

Prime example: Systems Admin that didn't know what RAID was, or how to configure it.
    maybe because he was hired by his friend. lol I agree that the skill level is very low. Dont even get me started on stories. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555

It's the craptastic cert-oriented education these punks are getting. I'm only a little older than most of the kids they are hiring for these jobs and I can kick the **** out of them tech-wise because I've been doing this for most of my life. To make matters worse, companies are no longer investing in talent development other than "Hey, we'll give you some money if you go take some classes, mmkay?." Back in the day, you did a lot of learning on the job, got in-house training, and worked with others to get it done. These days, it's just not like that anymore.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□

Are you sure that it wasn't the FTE and not the contractor? From my ventures in Defense contracts, it's usually the contractor doing the work and the actual government employee is the one not knowing anything, primarily because their job is "safe".

Also, Cisco firing 10,000 workers does not mean 10,000 IT jobs. This could be managers, admin assistants, customer service reps and a mix of other jobs.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Are you sure that it wasn't the FTE and not the contractor? From my ventures in Defense contracts, it's usually the contractor doing the work and the actual government employee is the one not knowing anything, primarily because their job is "safe".

It could really be either one. A lot of government agencies now contract almost everything relating to IT support and management out to the bidders except for overall management-type positions, which are supposed to herd the cats. It really depends on what kind of work the agency/department/whatever is responsible for and what the security level is.
  • Options

Also, Cisco firing 10,000 workers does not mean 10,000 IT jobs. This could be managers, admin assistants, customer service reps and a mix of other jobs.

No this was a contractor for the firm I was working for in Afghanistan. I had two sys ads that couldnt do ANYTHING.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No this was a contractor for the firm I was working for in Afghanistan. I had two sys ads that couldnt do ANYTHING.

Maybe he thought you meant a "Raid" on Ironforge; I have had issues separating games from reality icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    why cant we just live life simpler? why do houses have to be 100X overpriced? is it because that is the basic human necessity that all humans need? I am surprised water does not cost more than gas these days icon_rolleyes.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    shodown wrote: »
    I think this will be for the product lines they are no longer going to be putting money into. Also they will use this as a excuse to trim the fat from other org's that are spending more than they bring in. This is why I always wonder about the investment into a IE in other tracks than R&S. While no doubt Cisco will remain a market leader like M$ they will constantly be getting picked away by the Junipers, Brocades, in areas they can specialize in and do it better than cisco

This was a given. Nature abhors a void, and big names can fade away pretty easily. Anybody know what happened to Hayes? Are any of you old enough to remember when they dominated a market until they got outplayed by the competition?

With that being said, as long as your CCIE wasn't on the Flip camera track, I think you'll be fine. The Empire may be in decline, but Cisco is firmly entrenched in a few core markets, and they're not going anywhere anytime soon. They stepped out on their core business, didn't do a very good job at it, and the market punished them as a result. They're hardly the first company to experience that.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about those CCSP/CCIE:Security certified folks?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well contracts in the Middle East have certain requirements that eliminate 99 percent of qualified personnel.
    The first being "are you willing to work in Afghanistan? That eliminates 99 percent right at the start.
    Do you have a security clearance? There goes 99 percent of the 1 percent left.
    Final qualification " ever load windows?".
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Well contracts in the Middle East have certain requirements that eliminate 99 percent of qualified personnel.
    The first being "are you willing to work in Afghanistan? That eliminates 99 percent right at the start.
    Do you have a security clearance? There goes 99 percent of the 1 percent left.
    Final qualification " ever load windows?".

yeah pretty much
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about those CCSP/CCIE:Security certified folks?

One exam away from it, but life has taught me to live by the rule, you need to have multivendor knowledge in a multivendor world. Even at "all cisco shops" you eventually have to deal with a border equipment that is provided by another vendor.

Cisco is still a long way from not being the key player in the networking world imho. Especially in R&S, you might see Juniper and other vendors like Fortinet and Checkpoint winning some market in Security, but Cisco still has a good share in it. You may see sip and asterisk basked solutions gaining ground in VoIP, but Cisco still has its good share in it. And in R&S, I'm not as familiar with other vendors but I don't see anybody kicking Cisco out of the lead shortly, except for ProCurve in switching, which I do think will happen sooner that later.

I'm expecting Cisco to come and play in the UTM market, I'm suprised they haven't yet. I suspect they are loosing a bit of the SMB share in that arena. I'm no expert though.