Is CCNP really worth it?

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
Looking back at the amount of useless knowledge these certifications require you to know, is it really worth going for CCNP after CCNA?

I understand and respect why some people may need to collect certifications, but is it necessary for me to go for CCNP if I already have a degree, plus CCNA? Wouldn't my time be better spent studying the parts of networking which are relevant to getting a job, along with the other skills employers expect you to have?

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Once I got my NP, I was getting calls for Sr Positions. If your legit then your legit.

Hope that helps
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I think its worth it. IMO. My Sr Network Engineer cant school me. I hate looking stupid. Our Network Architect asks me to help. Its funny because I once schooled my Network Architect in redistribution in front of our CIO, Managers and Supervisors. icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I think its worth it. IMO. My Sr Network Engineer cant school me. I hate looking stupid. Our Network Architect asks me to help. Its funny because I once schooled my Network Architect in redistribution in front of our CIO, Managers and Supervisors. icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif

Think they should give you an increase in pay ..or his position! ;)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its worth it. Might come across a position that you want that won't consider someone without a the certifications. Would suck to miss out when a little study and dedication can get you there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Its worth it. Might come across a position that you want that won't consider someone without a the certifications. Would suck to miss out when a little study and dedication can get you there.

Well, I have about 2 years of education left (Degree in Networking) before I need to go out and get a job. If I go down the CCNP R&S route then I know nothing (or very little) about how to configure IDS/IPS, VOIP, VPN, Network. Sounds like I'd need at least CCNA Security and CCNA Voice after CCNA R&S, as those seem to be quite important... and then CCNP R&S if there's enough time. I wonder how long all of those certs would take to get...
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    With hiring down, it's worth it. CCNA's are less in demand in a slow job market. A CCNP might get you noticed. I'm taking my time getting it but if I was out of work it would be a top priority.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Eildor wrote: »
    Well, I have about 2 years of education left (Degree in Networking) before I need to go out and get a job. If I go down the CCNP R&S route then I know nothing (or very little) about how to configure IDS/IPS, VOIP, VPN, Network. Sounds like I'd need at least CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, as those seem to be quite important.

If you haven't even finished school yet then you are getting a bit ahead of yourself IMO. CCNA and a degree should be sufficient to get the kind of jobs you will be going for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say if you don't have the experience you need the certs. Also, how can you say that the knowledge you are getting is useless if you don't have a job? Who knows what sort of environment you are going to work in, and having at least a basic understanding of the protocols is a lot better than having none.
    Thanks for all your advice; much appreciated.
  • MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNP as any other certification will only help. Of course you don't "need" certifications but in your position I would go for it, especially if you are going to be fresh out of school with limited experience. Certifications can help you stand out to employers.

I plan to get CCNP not necessarily because I need it (at my current job now for the past 3+ years and plan to be here quite a while longer) but honestly I want to put it under my belt and gain the knowledge that comes along with it. In my opinion, while you have the time I would explore all possibilities whatever it may be to better yourself and make yourself more marketable since you will be out prowling the job market. You have to keep in mind, a little studying and concept mastering; and you will have many more doors open to you. Good luck man!
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP
    Hmm... what I might do is go ahead and get the CCNP, but at the same time study all the technologies employers are looking for. 2 years is a long time, and I wouldn't think CCNP would take longer than 6 months to acquire if I spend a minimum of 20 hours a week studying for it.