Description of how awesome MCSEs are

Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need a good resource for what exactly an MCSE is and does. I mean, I know what I'm capable of (everything) but how do I word it to others? I could rattle off all the tech I know but that would put the average Joe to sleep. I need a way to toot my own horn to a non-geek. Does anybody have something like that?

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL, so you wanna brag shamelessly to the common folk?

"I'm a Microsoft Engineer" has the value of being more or less true and most people will think your a doctor.
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I tell people I'm an Engineer, they think I drive a train. icon_lol.gif

I'm looking for basic layman's terms for the work I do and tech I know to add to a cover letter. If a Network Admin or Engineer sees my resume, they will understand it. If your average HR employee sees it, they'll be left scratching their heads.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Why not just say you are an IT Engineer or IT Systems Engineer? or just that you work in IT.

No one outside of IT will care or know what and MCSE is or does.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This was posted before, but I've stolen it because I enjoy it.

If I was any good with photoshop, I'd stick my name on it, blow it up, and frame it. It would look great on my shelf next to all of the others. icon_cheers.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This was posted before, but I've stolen it because I enjoy it.

If I was any good with photoshop, I'd stick my name on it, blow it up, and frame it. It would look great on my shelf next to all of the others. icon_cheers.gif

haha like it
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

Don't use this as a pick up line. Just stop now.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Shadly1 wrote: »
    I need a good resource for what exactly an MCSE is and does. I mean, I know what I'm capable of (everything) but how do I word it to others? I could rattle off all the tech I know but that would put the average Joe to sleep. I need a way to toot my own horn to a non-geek. Does anybody have something like that?

Tell them you work with computers. Sometimes I dont bother though because either they want you to fix their home computer problems or they think you are a complete dweeb. Either way its not a conversation you want to have..
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shadly1 wrote: »

About O*NET
    The O*NET program is the nation's primary source of occupational information. Central to the project is the O*NET database, containing information on hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. The database, which is available to the public at no cost, is continually updated by surveying a broad range of workers from each occupation. Information from this database forms the heart of O*NET OnLine, an interactive application for exploring and searching occupations. The database also provides the basis for our Career Exploration Tools, a set of valuable assessment instruments for workers and students looking to find or change careers.

The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) is being developed under the sponsorship of the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA) through a grant to the North Carolina Employment Security Commission. Learn more about the O*NET project partners.

O*NET Resource Center - Overview

good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Say you work in the it department that's all i tell :)