70-290 Failed Test Miserably

mustang7173mustang7173 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I took the 70-290 exam today and dropped the ball, face mask plowed into the ground and one cleats in the back. Wow, I have never made such a bad score on any Microsoft exams. The 70-290 was slam full of simulations. He is what I used to prepare.

1: Prep Logic 70-290 Practice Exams - Not bad tests , but not enough simulations

2: MeasureUp 70-290 Exams online -30 day subscriptions- The simulations worked for about 4 days and then stopped working. The word tests worked fine. MeasureUP support pretty much sucks! Requested refund!

3: Read and used the Microsoft Press book 70-290 > This not too bad a book.

4: Two Systems with Windows 2003 R2 > I do not believe I used this part as much as I should have.

5: I used the Windows 2003 Microsoft A Day as a System Administrator. This pretty good stuff. Learned a lot here.

6: Studied Mega Guides and read and read.

I do take full responsibilities for my dropping the ball. I have been studying since late March. I am going to step back,evaluate and re-group.

My question for today is, Where can someone for some good Simulations to practice with.

Thank You

mustang7173

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It happens to the best of us.

How did you drop the ball?

I didn't find the simulations tripped me up, I found them to be almost gimme's since the console is locked down so much that you could poke around to decide what they wanted. I used transcender, it had questions and simulations that were similar to the real test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • mustang7173mustang7173 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Devilsbane,

I felt like I dropped the ball by not using my Windows Server Lab setup enough. Maybe I relied on the practice test too much! Also, Measure Up's online simulation just stopped working. I could not get it to work on three different computers. Contacted tech support and they were no help. I did get a refund on that one!! I also used Prep Logic's testing and that was OK. The simulations, yes, I did notice that part and I did poke around that part. I will be looking at Transcenders testing. Are any testing programs that provide much more on simulations that questions? Any recommendations or ad-vice?

Thank You for your response!

mustang7173
  • ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mustang, take it on the chin, study more and get that beast rebooked and nailed. There's no other option icon_wink.gif.

What score did you recieve, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what areas do you feel you lacked most in? Did you feel there was more questions in any specific area?

I'm taking this on Friday you see, not feeling confident though. I have no working experience with 2003 so it's hardly supprising I'm not feeling confident icon_surprised.gif.

Thanks
    ivlatt wrote: »
    I'm taking this on Friday you see, not feeling confident though. I have no working experience with 2003 so it's hardly supprising I'm not feeling confident icon_surprised.gif.

This reminds me of the story when I took the exam.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This morning, I arrive at the testing ceter at about 8:25. I sit out in my car reviewing notes until about 8:40, and then head inside.

There were some technical difficulties, and the test couldn't begin. At 8:50, I was told to go for a cup of coffee or something, and be back in about 30 minutes. So I head back to my car, and take the time to do some more sudying on RRAS.

Come back in, and things still aren't working. At 9:35 I am offered to reschedule. I take it. I felt much underprepared for this test. I knew it was possible to pass, but with RRAS, IPsec, and Security Policies, I had several week areas. I decided this was a sign that I wasn't ready.

She started to fill out my card, and I changed my mind. I drove all the way here, I've studied hard, and there is definitely a chance that I can pass it. So I tell her to nevermind, and that I'll wait. I head back out to the car, and grab my book. (I was offered by the test protcor, and another woman was reviewing her book).

At just shy of 10, things start working, and at 10:02 I begin my test. Two hours later, it is done. Several things I expected to see but didn't, and several things I didn't expect to, I did. I know for sure one question I got wrong, because as I was leaving a comment on it, I realized I misread one of the answers.

It didn't matter. I scraped by with a 742. Last night I said this would either be my first failed test, or my closest pass. And I was correct.

Moral of the story is to study hard and have some confidence in yourself. Crossing the fingers for luck seems to help too ;)
    Only cross 1 set of fingers though cause apparently crossing both brings the opposite, bad luck icon_lol.gif.

Interesting how alike our stories our, will be more interesting if I walk in to the centre on Friday and they tell me they're experiencing technical difficulties, hopefully has the same happy ending...icon_lol.gif

It's definately pass-able without working experience, it's just that I'm using my (3 years working) knowledge of XP as a comparison to my (no working experience) knowledge of 2003. It puts a knock in my confidence.
    ivlatt wrote: »
    It's definately pass-able without working experience, it's just that I'm using my (3 years working) knowledge of XP as a comparison to my (no working experience) knowledge of 2003. It puts a knock in my confidence.

Why didn't you create a lab enviornment?
    I do have 3 VM's setup (2x 2003 and an XP VM)

What I mean by "working experience" is having that fluency that you develop only by working with something day in day out
    Hello To All, Thank You for the responses. So, I took my Measure Up and purchased transcenders. Next, back to the MS 70-290 book along with my Windows Server Lab that I have setup. The one positive note that I have, is I now know what to expect from the exam. So, back to the studying. Mustang7173
    All, I meant to say, the Measure Up refund and purchased the Transcenders. Thanks Mustang7173
    Hello ivlatt, I remember the simulations. There seemed to be a lot of them. I do remember that there were areas of the sims that I would click and it stated it was not valid. I recommend studying on the Shares and their combinations of share and NTFS. The backup scenarios. I hope this helps! Thank You mustang7173
    I recommend studying on the Shares and their combinations of share and NTFS. The backup scenarios. I hope this helps! Thank You mustang7173

A very valuable topic to learn, it will come up on probably every other test you take, at least a question.
    Hello ivlatt, I remember the simulations. There seemed to be a lot of them. I do remember that there were areas of the sims that I would click and it stated it was not valid. I recommend studying on the Shares and their combinations of share and NTFS. The backup scenarios. I hope this helps! Thank You mustang7173

Thanks for the recommendation.

Will be leaving my house this time tomorrow and making my way to the exam centre icon_shaking.gif.

Plenty of cramming tonight me thinks!
  • robdogrobdog Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone said this was an easy test. Well if you don't have experience in working w/ this OS, then you will struggle. The questions ask test your experience as well as your knowledge. Just FYI, I failed this test on June 27th, but passed it on July 11th. Study knowledge & do some hands on, because you will be surprised by the number of simulations that will thrown your way. Onto 291. Buenos Suerte senors & senoritas ;)
    robdog wrote: »
    Everyone said this was an easy test. Well if you don't have experience in working w/ this OS, then you will struggle.

This can be said about any test. Many people on here would say that A+ is easy. But if my mother went in and took it she would fail miserably, even with some study. Everything is difficult until you know and understand it, and then it is easy.

Congrats on your pass.
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Buenos Suerte senors & senoritas ;)
    Huh? You must be from Southern California icon_lol.gif
    Shadly1 wrote: »
    Huh? You must be from Southern California icon_lol.gif

Nope, Nor Cal. The Real California ;) DB, thanks. Now onto the so call Beast.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nope, Nor Cal. The Real California ;) DB, thanks. Now onto the so call Beast.

Darn yankee. So Cal, is best Cal icon_lol.gif Oh and congrats on the pass.

Good luck mustang7173
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Shadly1Shadly1 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, Nor Cal. The Real California
    Land of Hippy icon_lol.gif

Ohhhh, it's on...
    Hey Shadow & Shadly be careful on what you say. I do have access to your water supply :p
    Hello To All,

I took the 70-290 exam for the second time today and hit the wall at 535 points. The 70-290 had its fair share of simulations. I did notice a lot of share questions. He is what I used to prepare for the second round.

1: Transcenders 70-290 – Nice test Package

2: Used the CBTNuggets – A really good video package

3: Prep Logic 70-290 Practice Exams – I did receive my refund. Their policy is good.

4: Read and reviewed the Microsoft Press book 70-290

5: Windows 2003 Microsoft A Day as a System Administrator.

6: Microsoft MSDN E-Training- Used some

7: Added a third used Power Edge Systems to my lab setup with Windows 2003 R2 > As one member stated, Why did you not setup and use the lab? I do have lab setup, but not use it as much as I should have. I have added the third system so I can install Terminal Server. I did use the lab systems while I did my Transcenders practice test to see how they processed the answers.

In Retrospect,

I know that I will be reminded by Tech Exams members to you my lab setup since I do not have an opportunity for real world experience. I now agree tremendously. It will be done, Master! One of my colleagues stated that I did increase my score from 411 to 535. If I take the test two more times, I should cross the 700 threshold. Yea, right! What is your credit card number?

Thank You for all of your comments.

mustang7173
    At least you improved, moving in the right direction. What didn't do well on? Based on your resources used, you should really have this stuff down. Just review your materials and make sure you understand why things are the way they are. Memorization doesn't do much for you.

Transcenders are good for that. Get a quick tesst and then you can examine the details of how your mind went down the wrong path. If you still aren't sure (or think they are wrong) use the feedback feature. 1. Maybe they are wrong. 2. They get back to you after 2 or 3 days with some more information, usually specific to what you're having the problem with.

And don't forget to ask other TE members. A valuable asset that I used.
    Hello Devilsbane,

According to the printout, I was pretty low on the network access section. The last exam was eat with share questions. One question I do remember was about a group e-mail distribution. User A was in a security group and they wanted to know how they can send out emails to different groups with least amount admin. Something like. I have not seen much info on the distribution groups. More of the security groups. The transcenders test is not bad. It helps with what if and how it got there.

Thank you

mudtang7173