Falling Asleep.

njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone else have trouble staying awake reading technical books?

I like the config, network diagrams, and everything else... but as soon as i crack open a book and read "A segment is..." my eyes start closing. That is a bad situation, I don't think my boss will appreciate me sleeping at work.

Comments

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    You're lucky if you have a boss that will allow you to actually study for a cert exam on company time. I had one boss that compained when I was studying for my PMP - even though I had been mandated by the company to get my PMP. The irony was that he had also been told to get his PMP and he ignored me when I told him how hard it was - and he failed a couple of times and never passed.

My only advice for the sleep problem is drink more caffeine.
  • njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're lucky if you have a boss that will allow you to actually study for a cert exam on company time. I had one boss that compained when I was studying for my PMP - even though I had been mandated by the company to get my PMP. The irony was that he had also been told to get his PMP and he ignored me when I told him how hard it was - and he failed a couple of times and never passed.

My only advice for the sleep problem is drink more caffeine.

which is why i'm taking advantage of my downtime. 3-5 hours of sleep a night may also be my real problem icon_lol.gif

I generally watch CBTNuggets to get the gist of it while at work and try to lab at home but i'm at the point where i -need- to read the books for the juicy details CBTNuggets leaves out.

I guess i'll buy more coke and keep going.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    njkt wrote: »
    3-5 hours of sleep a night may also be my real problem icon_lol.gif

Ya think?:) icon_wink.gif Can you say Red Bull?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote: »
    Ya think?:) icon_wink.gif Can you say Red Bull?

Red bull doesn't do anything to me anymore, at my peak i downed a case of redbull while pulling a 36 hour day to bring some servers up... just get jacked on coffee and 4-8 shot espresso's these days.

I really only have problems reading, if i'm watching training videos i'm fine.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seriously, I think that we all have days like that. I usually just take a nice walk around the building or go out for a liitle fresh air and then attack it.

You would be surprised just how a little exercise can re-invigorate you.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

When I start to feel sleepy I switch to labs for a while or videos...
  • jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sleep is the real cure. all that sugar in soda and energy drinks will end up leaving you less energetic and fat. jumping jacks and push ups every few pages will get you through.

i struggle with reading and love watching the videos. i can put in some serious hours watching them and taking notes. but i think there's a "brain power", that you can only get from reading, which makes you sharper and mentally stronger. the more you do it the easier it gets.
  • Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is IT starting to become an unhealthy job?
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Enery drinks and lots of them, that's all I have to say.

I've been lucky to have LearnKey videos to suplement the book material at times, which isn't as boring, but yeah... when it comes down to book cracking for me I make sure to get as much of an energy boost as I can get.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Hi

Yeah I have same issue after about 5 pages I get very heavy eyed and start to drift. Also watching videos if im to comfortable have the same issue.

They say best thing it to read in a enviroment that isnt to comfortable and maybe a better time of day where your nit going to be so tired like early morning instead of last thing at night.

Anyone find issues with remembering the material to?

Kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    try switching to green tea not sports drinks , sport drinks aren't good for you in more than small amounts

matcha or gunpowder green or puerh tea. puerh or white/yellow tea if you can't handle caffeine before bedtime

For memorising I put notes into space repition apps to reenforce it in memory.

mental case for iphone/ipad make the notes on Flashcards: The world's largest online library of printable flash cards

quite a few ccna card sets up there already
    ccna Flashcards
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    njkt wrote: »
    Anyone else have trouble staying awake reading technical books?

I like the config, network diagrams, and everything else... but as soon as i crack open a book and read "A segment is..." my eyes start closing. That is a bad situation, I don't think my boss will appreciate me sleeping at work.

I have noticed a general decline in people's attention spans and ability to sit still in recent years. I put this down to all this distracting technology and poor lifestyle. Start by getting enough sleep. Jettison all the vitamins and supplements. Quit all the fizzy drinks. Eat fresh food, gluten free products avoid unsaturated fats. Drink plenty of water. Get out the house and get some fresh air and exercise.

You need to build up your ability to sit still and read a book. Turn off any background noise, find somewhere quiet. Read for 15 minutes. Avoid thinking about anything else during that time. Reading and listening skills make for better intellects and help your stress levels.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you are not allergic to Gluten then needing gluten free products is a myth. Our ancestors have lived on gluten containing grains for thousands of years. It was a primary source of protein during our hunter gather phase and discovering wheat, barley, rye; also the discovery of beer which we know goes back 10,000 years to the dawn of civilization. Humans should sleep from the dinner fires burning down until dawn, and never sit more than two hours at a time. When one can't then...

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
    It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed
    The hands acquire shaking
    The shaking becomes a warning
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

bah on fizzy stuff, an occasional beer the notable exception.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I actually try to program in mini-breaks while studying. Maybe I'll read for 40 minutes or so, then get up and do something for 20 or 30, then back to reading. This has helped greatly (especially with eyestrain). Switching over to an ergonomic keyboard was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I tend to type a lot of notes when studying, and now I can type for much longer without feeling the burn lol.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience only:

To avoid falling asleep, get sleep. I eat terrible but get a bit of exercise. I make sure to get my sleep.

To continue reading, set a goal. Read 15 pages a night or I like to read by chapters/sections.

Goal setting works for me because I'm a goal driven individual. You have to find what works for you.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    TheShadow wrote: »
    If you are not allergic to Gluten then needing gluten free products is a myth. Our ancestors have lived on gluten containing grains for thousands of years. It was a primary source of protein during our hunter gather phase and discovering wheat, barley, rye;

Gluten is bad for you

Mark Hyman, MD: Gluten: What You Don't Know Might Kill You
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As others have mentioned in the past, try the "50-10-50" method. Read/watch material for 50, take a 10 min break and dont think about what you just did. Go for a walk, listen to music, etc. When the 10 mins are up, go back to studying for another 50.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Turgon wrote: »

/sigh

He practices "functional medicine". Uses homeopathy. Goodbye credibility.

Functional medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

‪Tim Minchin's Storm the Animated Movie‬‏ - YouTube - I'm sure a great deal of people will find this entertaining!
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I have a hard time staying awake every time I see "Spanning-Tree Protocol" printed on a page.

Other than that, I generally don't have a problem reading technical books, but maybe that's because I haven't done this for 10-20 years like a lot of people and still have a lot to learn.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »

My family is full of medical types; they and their associates disagree with him unless there is an indication of Celiac disease. Unless you prepare 100 percent of your own food you will suffer as much as a 25 percent calorie increase going to gluten free products. Increased sugar and fat is used to replace the gluten binder. Otherwise he is often mentioned as an alarmist in psychoceramics (the study of crackpots). I assume that peoples of countries where bread is a main staple of life will be extinct soon. icon_lol.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    My family is full of medical types; they and their associates disagree with him unless there is an indication of Celiac disease. Unless you prepare 100 percent of your own food you will suffer as much as a 25 percent calorie increase going to gluten free products. Increased sugar and fat is used to replace the gluten binder. Otherwise he is often mentioned as an alarmist in psychoceramics (the study of crackpots). I assume that peoples of countries where bread is a main staple of life will be extinct soon. icon_lol.gif

hehehe..Im sure we wont be extinct anytime soon. We make our own gluten free bread and have got most of the stuff out of our diet. Time will tell if it is worthwhile. Perhaps Hyman is bonkers although pretty much anyone these days with an alternative point of view is often regarded as alarmist.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If only falling asleep was all i had to worry about.The problems arise when i'm asleep, circular dreams, i troubleshoot the same problem constantly, find a solution and start troubleshooting the same problem again and again,its insane.My girlfriend used to go crazy with me contantly tossing and turning all night.
    I try to watch a movie or something before bed so i can think about that rather than cisco stuff.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405

I've been eating gluten free for about 3 years and it depends what you replace the gluten with.... Instead of using wheat I eat more potatoes and rice. Still eat a lot of meat and veggies. I actually try to cut down on sugars anyways. The binding that replaces gluten if you make it yourself is usually rice or potatoe or almond. All better for you than wheat and the same calories or less.

Everyone to an extent is "allergic" to gluten as our bodies cannot digest it. Just 1 out of 113 of us or whatever it is shows symptoms of this. Some are just intolerant and others full blown celiac. Honestly everyone being on a gluten free diet would not taste nearly as good but it would be better for you. Forcing you to eat healthier. I would not put this diet in the same category as vegan or that lot as those are bad for you.