Options

Switch simulator

danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone use a switching simulator ? I want to practice GLBP but I see GNS3 cannot emulate switches.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    danc_101 wrote: »
    Does anyone use a switching simulator ? I want to practice GLBP but I see GNS3 cannot emulate switches.

I'm sure you already know that GNS3 doesn't support many switching features because currently it is not possible to emulate the specialized ASIC hardware found in switches.

Cisco has an internal tool that I have heard supports layer 3 switching. Cisco IOU FAQ

Your best bet is to just simply buy some 3550s and link them into GNS3 with a cloud interface. I'm pretty current on routing and switching technology as far as this topic is concerned, but someone please correct me if what I've said is incorrect, or if my information is out of date icon_wink.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GLBP is supported on routers. I labbed this on a bunch of 2691s under GNS3.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GLBP is supported on routers. I labbed this on a bunch of 2691s under GNS3.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Ok - whats the command set like compared to the switch iOS ?
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Yep, you should be able to do all of your redundancy protocols on the routers in GNS3 (vrrp, glbp, hsrp). Shouldn't really be any differences in command structure if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3550's dont support GLBP or VRRP (at least mine didnt with the EMI IOS I have). I used my 2651xm's to configure it. Commands are the same that you would use on a switch.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    *BB* wrote: »
    3550's dont support GLBP or VRRP (at least mine didnt with the EMI IOS I have). I used my 2651xm's to configure it. Commands are the same that you would use on a switch.

Nope, my 3550s don't support VRRP or GLBP - I used GNS3 routers to lab this for the SWITCH exam. I think the 3560s and 3750s do, but who can afford that!!!

As far as I know the syntax on the routers is the same as on the switches - it certainly is for HSRP so can't see why the others should be different.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]