Virtual Box/VMware for labs...

94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
Hey all, I'm way behind the curve here but I'm messing w/ VM/Virtualbox for labs for the first time. I've never had to use a lab, until the beast. Is there an FAQ or guide for Virtbox? I've set up 3 servers but it's asking for a bootable media. I'm lost. am I missing something? do I actually need a full blown copy of server 2003?
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You do actually need a copy of the OS. Here's the link to the 2003 OS > Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Server 2003 R2 VHD . This is a pre-cooked file that works with Microsoft's VirtualPC. You can go ahead and use this product, but for FWIW, I'd go with using VMware. VMware is available as a free download here > VMware Server

And here's a link to Serve r2008 r2, in case you decide to go with it > Download Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    ^ Thanks very much for the help! I did a bit of searching last night and sort of got the "jist" of the whole process. I have a much better understanding now and thank you very much for the links above!
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • robdogrobdog Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might want to tryout vmware. It's free, but you will need some storage space for your image. Good luck w/ creating your lab.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Otherwise many books will come with a free 180 day trial in the back. A lot of people have used these in their labs. 180 days is more than enough for your exam and then you can just start fresh with your next.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    great advice, thanks guys!
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • brunoblissbrunobliss Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you never had to use a lab until now icon_confused.gif: i are confused heheh

vmware is the best BUT for this one i'm using vpc as the apipa addressing was not working correctly with vmware, probably for some minor reason but i just didn't have time to waste on figuring it out and getting used to the way it works.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brunobliss wrote: »

vmware is the best BUT for this one i'm using vpc as the apipa addressing was not working correctly with vmware, probably for some minor reason but i just didn't have time to waste on figuring it out and getting used to the way it works.

VMWare has a built in DHCP. If you want to have your own DHCP server (or have no DHCP server to get APIPA) then you will need to disable this.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    well, thank you for the heads up :) but i was planing to using wmware from now on anyways as i see no further use for APIPA
    brunobliss wrote: »

Yep, never needed one until now! I've always had live (non-production) servers at my disposal so I could play/test at will. Plus, I took my tests a bit later in my career so I relied heavily on my existing experience. Kind of got burned by that on 70-290 but I eventually passed.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
    i'm having a hard time figuring out how to study for 70-236 (exchange 2007)

manual says i must use 2003 server r2 64bits, but microsoft seems to no longer have that available for download, i always end up in the 2008 server page ... is that precoocked VHD the 64 bits version?