Getting out of the military, looking to join the IT field.

KyzerKyzer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I'm being administratively seperated from the Marine Corps in the next couple months. I'm am getting an honorable discharge. The reason for my seperation was due to medical reasons that were "pre-existing" but showed up in a very high stress enviroment. So a medical sep is out of question. I've also only been in for 2 years now so I will only get around 80% of my GI bill. I don't want to be thrown back into the civilian world with no job. I'm currently living in San Diego. My job had nothing to do with IT, I never touched a computer while working and really only worked out in the gym, shot weapons, and went on long patrols.

Before I joined the Marine Corps I was enrolled at University of Virginia and was studying engineering. Due to my extreme ADD I was unable to focus at all and more or less failed out. (3rd in my class in HS and with a 4.6 GPA) I worked for the universities IT department while I was in school. Basically either worked the call center, or worked in person at one of the libraries solving students and faculites network and program dificulties, removed viruses, but mostly network stuff.

In highschool I built 2 computers so i know my way around hardware for a PC.

Honestly I joined the MC because i felt like a failure and wanted to do something with my life.

Well now I'm getting out and don't want to be stuck without a job. I have around 1-6 months of paychecks left (honestly no one ever knows when they will be seperated. It's a ridiculously stupid process, it could be a month or a year from now)

I want to prepare as much as possible. I know to start with an A+ certification. but not too sure where to go from there.

In what ways can I branch off and specify in a certain area? Like security, networking?

I'm also going to stop by the education assistance place here on base and see what they have for certifications. Mind as well get the most out of the MC before I leave.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I say after the A+, go for the Network+ and maybe the Security+ if you want to get a DOD job. If you decide you enjoy the subjects covered in the Network+, you can always go the Cisco route and go for the CCNA certification.

I'm currently doing that exact route and I was once in your shoes sort of; separated from the Air Force and just knew I wanted to go into IT. Got my degree in IT last year and am just recently going after certifications. I take Security+ tomorrow, then on to my CCNA.

Good luck with your endeavors no matter what you do!
  • LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm the total opposite, i'm thinking of going into the Air Force.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Honestly, you may be able to just skip the A+ and go into a more direct route like MCSA/MCSE or CCNA depending on what you want to do in the end. If you have a security clearance there are a couple websites that could help you get a job. I know Dice.com and clearancejobs.com are 2 I used when I got out of the army.

My advice would be to first figure out what you want to do. There are much different road to being a systems admin as opposed to a network engineer. Better to figure that out in the beginning as opposed to halfway down the line.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    LoMo wrote: »
    I'm the total opposite, i'm thinking of going into the Air Force.

I was told that the air force was on a recruiting freeze so good luck with that.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The A+ cert is a good start; but don't think that it will automatically get you a job....icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    I was told that the air force was on a recruiting freeze so good luck with that.

Yeah I noticed the recruiting offices are always closed.
  • KyzerKyzer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice.

Most of the military is in a freeze. If they are recruiting, it's usually for reserves.

They are also blocking a lot of jobs for reenlistment. Major downsizing going on.

I'm liking the cisco route. I've checked in the San Diego area and new jobs are always popping up for entry level A+ and Network+ jobs.
    Kyzer wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice.

Most of the military is in a freeze. If they are recruiting, it's usually for reserves.

They are also blocking a lot of jobs for reenlistment. Major downsizing going on.

I'm liking the cisco route. I've checked in the San Diego area and new jobs are always popping up for entry level A+ and Network+ jobs.

Just get to work studying as soon as possible. You may also want to look into moving somewhere with a lower cost of living. The military backgroud plus the certs should help you land an interview.
    Honestly it's not bad where I'm living right now. I'm have room mates and only pay 700 a month for a decent sized room. I love the city and with opportunities like this?

Help Desk Technician

I mean, working for spy optics? That's a pretty cool job.
    I can't see the link from work but hey if you look it out there and can find a gig that's cool.
    LoMo wrote: »
    I can't see the link from work but hey if you look it out there and can find a gig that's cool.

I just want to be as prepared as possible when I get out.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    If you wouldn't mind working in the desert, have a security clearance, and a pulse, take a look at ITT. They are great company for a guy separating from the military with little experience looking to get into the contractor world. Use it to build some experience, save some money, and then move on to bigger and better things.