Memory/Battery problems were detected

shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

Our company DELL POWEREDGE 2800 server with windows server sbs 2003 suddenly got rebooted yesterday and stuck in the POST giving the error"

Memory/Battery problems were detected.
The adapter has recovered, but cached data was lost.
Press any key to continue. "

I three times rebooted the server pressing any key to continue .All the three times os kept loading for long time and rebooted to the same error screen.

Atlast I switched off the server and checked for any loose contacts as per the dell suggestion. I removed the HDD 0, HHD 2, HDD3 in channel o one by one and replugged in and started the server. Same system occurred. Since HDD 1 is already failed in RAID 5 , and the place for that HDD is empty, I suspected may be another HDD in that row is failing and so I removed HDD 0 and rebooted the server. the same symptom ( 2003 getting loaded and stuck); switched off the server 'replugged HDD0 and removed HDD2 and restarted the server but the same symptom.
Replugged the HDD 2 and unplugged HDD3 after rebooting the server it is giving error loading operating system.
There are two more hdd's HDD 4 & HDD 5 in another cahnnel 1

How to recover from this problem and is our server's data secured?

Please help me in this regard because I am helpless, tomorrow I have to bring the server in production

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan
Thanks

Comments

• NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see you removed all the HDDs, but did you try reseating the RAM? I would try that, if that fails, it could be the RAM itself is bad, or possibly the RAM slots on the board...
    Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
    Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
    ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Does it have a RAID card? There are batteries in some of them that are used for cache, but can sometimes function with no battery at all. Could be what the error was about. I would replace that and put your drives back in as they were originally.
  • PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Had similar problem few days ago. I believe this server has integrated PERC 4e/Di RAID controller with replaceable RAM module and it has failed. And it's simple DDR ECC ram module, same as used on servers - no big problem to get one, just need to check if it's DDR or DDR2.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Povilas wrote: »
    Had similar problem few days ago. I believe this server has integrated PERC 4e/Di RAID controller with replaceable RAM module and it has failed. And it's simple DDR ECC ram module, same as used on servers - no big problem to get one, just need to check if it's DDR or DDR2.

Thanks for all replied and finally we restored everything to DELL R710 new server and Povilas you are correct ! But we have don't have that option to check we resorted to new server with full backup from the old server

Regards

S.Swaminathan
    Thanks