Advice for My Job-Urgent

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I hope everybody is doing well. I am in a type of crisis and need some advice. Here it goes:

During the last three weeks, I have be told by my manager that the upper management (CEO, CFO, CTO etc.) are not comfortable with me in the workplace (I guess my demeanor and not getting work done in a timely fashion.) and they expressed this to my manager.

My manager said that I have potential to succeed in the IT field but I lack certain areas (the basics on IT, common sense/problem solving when tackling an issue, not reading carefully on ticket request, listening skills and so forth) but he is going to tell upper management that he is going to keep me and he his sticking his neck out for me.

Also, lastly what he told me that this is a new company and all eyes is on me. And I will be exposed to a lot of new things compare to working in a large corporation, where if I worked at one all I would be doing is doing the same work (imaging, resetting password in Active Directory for users, printer/PC help, etc.).

I really need your advice on getting better and moving up in this company. I will really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I hope everybody is doing well. I am in a type of crisis and need some advice. Here it goes:

During the last three weeks, I have be told by my manager that the upper management (CEO, CFO, CTO etc.) are not comfortable with me in the workplace (I guess my demeanor and not getting work done in a timely fashion.) and they expressed this to my manager.

My manager said that I have potential to succeed in the IT field but I lack certain areas (the basics on IT, common sense/problem solving when tackling an issue, not reading carefully on ticket request, listening skills and so forth) but he is going to tell upper management that he is going to keep me and he his sticking his neck out for me.

Also, lastly what he told me that this is a new company and all eyes is on me. And I will be exposed to a lot of new things compare to working in a large corporation, where if I worked at one all I would be doing is doing the same work (imaging, resetting password in Active Directory for users, printer/PC help, etc.).

I really need your advice on getting better and moving up in this company. I will really appreciate it. Thanks.

It must be a small company if the C-Level executives have concerns about you. Are you really that bad? Sounds like one of those overworked roles where the shop is underesourced and you have to field all sorts of enquiries about technologies. What exactly are you supporting? First thing that springs to mind is slow down and concentrate on right first time work. The second is be loyal to your boss. I suggest you work closely with him the next couple of weeks at least and get some feedback from him about your progress. We all have bad or difficult days at work, the important thing is the trend.
  • Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am supporting the internal users for the company as an Desktop Support Engineer. What do you mean by "trend"?
  • VerrucktVerruckt Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's what you do - heed the words of your superiors. Find out exactly what they mean by what they're saying. I.e. what fields do you need improvement on and how can you improve upon them?

Let them know how you plan on improving those shortcomings, and most importantly follow through on it.

This looks like a case of you being under experienced and under supported for the role that you are in. The two combined are disastrous.

Right now it begins with you getting a clear picture of what you need to change and what needs to be done - and this is where your boss comes in.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am supporting the internal users for the company as an Desktop Support Engineer. What do you mean by "trend"?

Having a bad day every once in a while is one thing, don't make a habit of it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My manager said that I have potential to succeed in the IT field but I lack certain areas (the basics on IT, common sense/problem solving when tackling an issue, not reading carefully on ticket request, listening skills and so forth)

1 - Read up on the basics. Check books out from the library.
    2 - Read tickets carefully.
    3 - Listen carefully when users are describing problems. Take notes and learn to translate into technical issues to resolve.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/