30 day notice

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

My employer decided to flex his employment agreement muscle and point out that I had to give him a 30 day notice. Granted it does say it in the agreement but I already accepted the new position and told them I would start in 2 weeks. How does it work in this situation if I leave before the 30 days? Does this mean I can still put that I worked at this job but just cannot use them as a reference? Have you guys ever heard of a 30 day notice? I think its a load of bull droppings as no future employer is going to wait a whole month for you to start a position...am I right about that?

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobody can make you do anything unless they put it in some contract and even then I would doubt it holds much weight. Since you said its in the agreement I wonder is there anything else it says your former employer can do if you fail to uphold it?
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My previous job had a 90 day notice requirement... it was on a tiny island in the middle of the pacific, but but still incredibly unrealistic. I simply went in, gave my letter of resignation and said I am leaving on X day. (I was able to give 3 weeks notice.)

Do you have any obligations with the company, like tuition payments, reimbursements, etc? While you agreement/contract may say 30 days, if you are in a right-to-work state, two weeks' notice is a nice gesture, not a requirement.

You really need to read your contract - they may try to withhold pay due from you, see what kind of hooks they can snag you with.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    Do you have any obligations with the company, like tuition payments, reimbursements, etc? While you agreement/contract may say 30 days, if you are in a right-to-work state, two weeks' notice is a nice gesture, not a requirement.

You really need to read your contract - they may try to withhold pay due from you, see what kind of hooks they can snag you with.

No obligations from what I can see. Im in FL and I believe it is a right to work state. It says that it is up to the company to agree to moving up the termination date if it is before the 30 days. I really hope they dont come with the holding pay junk and I really dont think they would(hope im sure is the better word). I guess I just want to know if I leave before the 30 days is up, can I still put that I worked here on my resume?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    colemic wrote: »

This. Not being familiar with this type of clause I would love to see the language they used in the contract.
  • lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No obligations from what I can see. Im in FL and I believe it is a right to work state. It says that it is up to the company to agree to moving up the termination date if it is before the 30 days. I really hope they dont come with the holding pay junk and I really dont think they would(hope im sure is the better word). I guess I just want to know if I leave before the 30 days is up, can I still put that I worked here on my resume?
    If FL is a right to work state I would think they would have a hard time enforcing anything.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□