Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Arysta wrote: »
    Anyone else get annoyed by the weekly mentor call?

Aside from what others have said, I would guess the mentor call is intended to (partially) replace the interaction, guidance and support you would (supposedly) get in a traditional B&M environment. I'm almost certain this methodology was implemented to help secure (and maintain) accreditation back when self-paced online programs were rare.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Aside from what others have said, I would guess the mentor call is intended to (partially) replace the interaction, guidance and support you would (supposedly) get in a traditional B&M environment. I'm almost certain this methodology was implemented to help secure (and maintain) accreditation back when self-paced online programs were rare.

I don't really mind the mentor calls. When my second term started I was wondering if it was going to go every other week or weekly. It's been fine. There were times that I had to tell my mentor in advance that a Friday isn't going to be doable because of work.

In (a traditional) college, I would have had to deal with an advisor, but that would have been much more infrequent. You really only dealt with one to make sure the college didn't change the program on you from when you first started (and that has happened to a lot of my friends). OR, to retake a class because you got a C- when you needed a C. Something silly.

I guess it depends on who the mentor is though. Mine is pretty much pleasant to talk to and I really do want to meet him for real when I'm done with WGU.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I've got 70-680 scheduled for next week. Hopefully one of the few that passes on the first try. Looking at the retake policy, it seems after the 5th attempt you have to wait a year to try again. I wonder if anyone has ever taken that many attempts.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    jdchilders wrote: »
    Welp.

Just started my Grad school at WGU in MSISA. EWB completed!

Jon

Feel free to post any random thoughts or experiences about the program you might have here! There are definitely other people considering it.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Good luck. August crew in da house!

Started my 3rd term as well. Waiting for the TPV1 voucher while starting the Tech writing and Capstone. Hope to have it done by September and then CCNAS for the final class. The light is brighter every day.

I did talk to my mentor about prorated refund versus staying till the end of the term. He told me my only option is the refund if I qualify. It is against school policy to use learning resources outside your degree major after you have completed your graduation requirements. I was hoping to knock off a few MS Server certs after my final class and use the WGU LR's to do this.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    never2late wrote: »
    Started my 3rd term as well. Waiting for the TPV1 voucher while starting the Tech writing and Capstone. Hope to have it done by September and then CCNAS for the final class. The light is brighter every day.

I did talk to my mentor about prorated refund versus staying till the end of the term. He told me my only option is the refund if I qualify. It is against school policy to use learning resources outside your degree major after you have completed your graduation requirements. I was hoping to knock off a few MS Server certs after my final class and use the WGU LR's to do this.

Oh... Sometimes a key gets pressed that wasn't suppose to. Somehow I got a few extra labsim modules shipped to me. Just need to bug your mentor enough.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »

I'm doing the same and hope to be done in the same time frame with Tech Writing Capstone.

I'm sending out my idea paper to the course mentor this morning. I'm also sending a CC to regular mentor.

If it's approved (and I don't doubt it will), I expect to be done with both fairly soon. I also will be taking AIV1 by next week (hoping) and will be requesting that voucher before my mentor call.
  • Options
    Go go tech writing! I have my "idea paper" done, got the first part of my paper done. Just need to have a talk with course mentor to clarify some things and I'm on my way. So we got never2late, epradmin and me doing tech/cap - who's going to get it done first? Looser buys first round in Atlanta?
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    speaking of which, is Atlanta a good vacation spot?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    I just got my capstone paper review back, so I'm now fully qualified to answer questions about tech writing and the capstone project. The capstone course mentor is... a talker to say the least. It took a half hour to get the four or five minutes of questions and answers I wanted out of him, so you might be able to save some time by asking here!
  • Options
    zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    speaking of which, is Atlanta a good vacation spot?

Go to Fox Brother's BarBQ, Fogo de Chau, and Vortex Bar and Grill. You will be pleased with the results.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    nhpr wrote: »
    I just got my capstone paper review back, so I'm now fully qualified to answer questions about tech writing and the capstone project. The capstone course mentor is... a talker to say the least. It took a half hour to get the four or five minutes of questions and answers I wanted out of him, so you might be able to save some time by asking here!

Congrats on the graduation!
    WGU grad
  • Options

Congrats on graduation! How long did it take you on the tech/cap?
  • Options
    Congrats on graduation! How long did it take you on the tech/cap?

Thanks. Tech writing took a couple of weeks and the capstone took three weeks. I was only working (non-school work) for two weeks of the capstone though, so for someone with a full-time job it would probably be longer. On the other hand, my capstone was beyond the recommended length and I took extended breaks from technical writing. Maybe the factors can cancel each other out? Overall, if you choose a project you're interested in, writing about it won't be that bad.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    by chance does any one have the audio tracks from labsim videos?

i have a 2.5 hr daily drive so i was just thinking i could listen to an audiobook for school however there is a huge lack of microsoft audio books then it came to me just get the audio tracks from labsim
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I passed my CCNA Security today. Pretty much a joke of a test. If you took Security+ and CCNA it's pretty dang easy.
  • Options
    Go go tech writing! I have my "idea paper" done, got the first part of my paper done. Just need to have a talk with course mentor to clarify some things and I'm on my way. So we got never2late, epradmin and me doing tech/cap - who's going to get it done first? Looser buys first round in Atlanta?

I sent an email to the guy that's covering for Dr. Vance. I haven't heard back from him. (Called and emailed him...it's been over that 4 hours.)

I think I'm going to be done with my "idea paper" within one hour, and that's assuming I'm not interrupted with work." After I send my paper to him and my regular mentor, I'm going to hunt this guy down via Student Services.

BTW...you're on with the tech/cap challenge! By loser, though, you mean the last guy to finish, right? I'm pretty sure I can get the grand majority of this done soon. I'd be ok placing first, but I doubt I'd be last...but count me in though. :)
  • Options
    Thanks. Tech writing took a couple of weeks and the capstone took three weeks. I was only working (non-school work) for two weeks of the capstone though, so for someone with a full-time job it would probably be longer. On the other hand, my capstone was beyond the recommended length and I took extended breaks from technical writing. Maybe the factors can cancel each other out? Overall, if you choose a project you're interested in, writing about it won't be that bad.

I will be keeping this in mind... :) congrats, good buddy.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I sent an email to the guy that's covering for Dr. Vance. I haven't heard back from him. (Called and emailed him...it's been over that 4 hours.)

I think I'm going to be done with my "idea paper" within one hour, and that's assuming I'm not interrupted with work." After I send my paper to him and my regular mentor, I'm going to hunt this guy down via Student Services.

BTW...you're on with the tech/cap challenge! By loser, though, you mean the last guy to finish, right? I'm pretty sure I can get the grand majority of this done soon. I'd be ok placing first, but I doubt I'd be last...but count me in though. :)

Yes that's what I meant. I'm going on 24 hours of no sleep, my granny got sick last night and I spent all night in the hospital - my brain is a tad fried.

As for Dr. Vance's replacement, he works nights. Every email I got from him was around 1-3 AM. Do you have his direct number?
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I downloaded the Messer videos and listen to them on my iPod. I am not real impressed with the lab sim videos.
  • Options
    cshkuru wrote: »
    I downloaded the Messer videos and listen to them on my iPod. I am not real impressed with the lab sim videos.

Lol I don't think I watched a single Labsim Video for any of my courses. It just doesn't work as well for me as a good old book.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just got my Capstone graded. 4.0
    I'm finally done!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm finally done!

WAY TO EFFING GO!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!! WELL EFFING DONE!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Yes that's what I meant. I'm going on 24 hours of no sleep, my granny got sick last night and I spent all night in the hospital - my brain is a tad fried.

As for Dr. Vance's replacement, he works nights. Every email I got from him was around 1-3 AM. Do you have his direct number?

I got his number and I left numerous emails with him. I understand that the guy works part time, but the least the guy could have done was say he'll get back to me.

I contacted Student Services though under the guise that I didn't know his situation. They got on top of and told me I should hear from him by tomorrow afternoon. He is a part time course mentor and I would probably not be hearing from him as quickly as I have heard from other course mentors in the past.

I'm going to play ball with this for now since I am nowhere done with my paper, though I have a crapload of sources for my paper....I actually have more than I need. LMAO. I even have a source that's a great outline for how my paper will turn out and I'm guaranteed at least 20 pages by the time it's over (maybe more though).

I should probably get some sleep and maybe I'll get the juices flowing tomorrow morning. If I could get TWA1 and AIV1 completed this month, that will be good progress. :)
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm finally done!

Well done, congratulations. I've enjoyed reading your posts as you've moved through the program--thanks for all of the various insights you've posted over time.

I'm certainly looking forward to finishing mine. If nothing else comes of it, at least I'll have some free time back. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I'm finally done!

Congrats man! What's next? New job, promotion, raise? :D
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    I'm finally done!

Congratulations!!
  • Options

Not sure I'll make the graduation but I'm in if I do make the trip.

Taking my Project+ today then going full bore on the Tech\Capstone assignment.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    drew726 wrote: »
    Congrats man! What's next? New job, promotion, raise? :D
    I wish!
    I'm actually looking for a better job right now. Mostly it's just good to be done. Looking forward to a little extra free time right now.
    I'm not sure if I'll make it to Atlanta forgraduation.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I'm finally done!

Congrats! I bet you let out a giant sigh of relief once you realized it was all done with icon_lol.gif
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1