Options

So on to SEC+

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been reading through DG's book, and I have to say im picking up on this stuff allot more quickly than I did with Net+, Allot of the info in here that is general security we learn in the military doing IA training.
A buddy of mine at work recently did his SEC+ and said for him it was easier than Net+ anyone else have similar experiences?
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. I'm a couple days away from taking the Net+ and it's been more difficult to study for than the Security+ exam. Also, Darril Gibson's book is an excellent book, extremely easy to read, so I'm sure that was a factor making the SEC+ just that much easier.
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me, it was the opposite. My Net+ exam was much easier than Sec+. I spent the same amount of time studying for each. Halfway through the Net+, I knew I was doing well [845] . Half way through Sec+, I thought I'd already failed [808]. I was quite surprised to see I'd scored over 800.

I think a lot of it just depends on which version of the exam you happen to get when you sit.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Sec+ Exam is all about concepts and understanding them . I have not take the N+ exam but from wat i assume it is a bit tougher than the S+ .

I took the S+ and found it fairly easy . In the areas where i found it a big tough i eneded re-reading thme may be thrice or four time ( and even googled on it ) just to make sure i understand it

You will do well - Good Luck btw which version of the exam are you taking ?
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    ill_aceill_ace Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darrel's book is definitely the way to go. Good luck.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I found the Security+ exam easier than the Network+ as well. I did better on the Security+.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dr IT wrote: »
    The Sec+ Exam is all about concepts and understanding them . I have not take the N+ exam but from wat i assume it is a bit tougher than the S+ .

I took the S+ and found it fairly easy . In the areas where i found it a big tough i eneded re-reading thme may be thrice or four time ( and even googled on it ) just to make sure i understand it

More than likely the 201 due to the fact I already had DG's book on my desk.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr IT wrote: »

I agree with this. I thought network + was tougher than security +.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I agree with this. I thought network + was tougher than security +.

I also have to concur. Security+ is the only cert in my posession that I got the highest percentage on, largely thanks to DG's book. I am all for taking the latest exam offered but keep this in mind:

1) Your transcript will reflect that you have Security+ when you show it to your employers; whether you have the 201 or the 301.

2) The 201 exam will expire on December 31, 2011.

To quote Darril Gibson himself (who is active on the Amazon discussion forums:
    Yes, there will a SY0-301 release. I'm working on it now, but I want to take my time and make sure it fully meets the objectives and topics of the SY0-301 exam. In case you don't know it, you can still take the SY0-201 exam all the way up to December 31, 2011. Employers don't really care what version you take as long as you have the Security+ cetification. In other words, if you want to get Security+ certified now, the SY0-201 is still a good path to pursue and will be until December 2011.

Darril

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: New Edition for SY0-301