Options

TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2 skipping the first couple of chapters

amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
I always skip the first couple of chapters of all of the cisco press books. It seems that the first two are real simple stuff. I would like to know if you guys do the same. Thanks
David G.
http://gomezd.com <
My Tshoot test Blog
http://twitter.com/ipnet255

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Its always tempting, but I dont recommend it. The first two chapters are usually something the author considers important enough to be in the book. My take is that if someone like Jeff Doyle wants to include it, I'd better read it. Plus, every author has a different perspective, and I usually learn something new every time...even if it is about something as beginner as the OSI model.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nah i never skip a chapter, i would never like the feeling of going into a test with that doubt in mind. Dont **** yourself as they say.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its always tempting, but I dont recommend it. The first two chapters are usually something the author considers important enough to be in the book. My take is that if someone like Jeff Doyle wants to include it, I'd better read it. Plus, every author has a different perspective, and I usually learn something new every time...even if it is about something as beginner as the OSI model.

I like to read a few books on the same test for the various perspectives. Also, sometimes authors have little tricks that they've used to make a concept easier to understand or remember that proves helpful.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I wouldn't say skip them entirely, but I do skim them over if it looks to be a rehash of something I already know.
  • Options
    kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When it comes to technical books (no matter who the author is), I always read the first chapter. For me, it's a great way to get familiar with the author's voice, without having to focus too much on the technical details of what he's trying to reach (since the first chapter is usually the easiest).
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    TCP Routing Volume I & II are great books, but some of the information is dated, so I wouldn't recommend reading from cover to cover. This goes for other books as well.

This is not like the CCNA or CCNP where you can read the books entirely to gather the knowledge you need.

There is a A LOT material you must read, and it is spread amongst many different books, RFCs, Cisco Documents etc.... Being able to easily and effectively glean the information from the massive amount of text is a very important skill!

I high recommend an account at Safari BooksOnline. It will give you access to most of the books you will need. The ability to search through their entire library is also REALLY nice.