SDM hanging up

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have GNS3 working with an IOS that supports the SDM ( C3620-IK2S-M ). I am able to ping a router in GNS3 from my laptop. I start SDM, get past the logins, and I see the SDM interface is up, but a status box is in front of it hung up with the progress bar a little less than half way, saying “parsing router’s running config…” I left it for about half an hour and came back, it didn’t move.

This was happening with the Java I had on my laptop, so I uninstalled everything that said Java and found jre-6u3 and installed it. I get the same results. Someone on the forum said that version of Java worked for them with GNS3. I have the idle PC setting so that CPU usage is very low.

I am doing this on Widows XP SP3.

Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    briangl wrote: »
    I have GNS3 working with an IOS that supports the SDM ( C630-IK.BIN ). I am able to ping a router in GNS3 from my laptop. I start SDM, get past the logins, and I see the SDM interface is up, but a status box is in front of it hung up with the progress bar a little less than half way, saying “parsing router’s running config…” I left it for about half an hour and came back, it didn’t move.

This was happening with the Java I had on my laptop, so I uninstalled everything that said Java and found jre-6u3 and installed it. I get the same results. Someone on the forum said that version of Java worked for them with GNS3. I have the idle PC setting so that CPU usage is very low.

I am doing this on Widows XP SP3.

Where am I going wrong?

Please try this recipe, use an older version of java.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/68607-sdm-2-5-not-all-task-buttons-work.html#post549784
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I uninstalled the Java version I had and installed the 1.4.2_05

It is still doing the same thing.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I would try using Java 1.6.10. Also, just to keep things safe, I would suggest uninstalling Java, restart, install Java, restart. I found this to be the only way I could get it to work. I had a problem with the install, and re started the install which got Java on my system, but made it not work (probably corrupt install or something).

Another thing I would suggest is to make sure you're using IE 8 or 9. SDM just didn't play nice with Firefox. I had to completely remove Firefox from my system for SDM to even recognize IE, setting it as default was not enough.

Are you registered with the Cisco website? I can point you to some solid directions for getting it set up on GNS3 if you are.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    QHalo wrote: »
    You're using IE, yes?

Yes, IE8, was trying it with IE7, tried upgrading to 8. Still no luck. Firfox is not installed on my system.

SDM says it needs 1.4.2_05 or later, but have not been able to get it to work.

Can not find Java 1.6.10 to download.

This is enough to drive me to drink.

Could this be a problem with the IOS? It was hard enough finding that one, that is supposed to work with SDM.
    Brian -

I would suggest heading to the Cisco site (I would assume since you're CCNA you have a log in). Go to the Cisco Learning Network part of the site and join the study group for CCNA or CCNA security. It won't matter much which. Make a post asking for GNS3 instructions and/or Java 1.6.10. Martin posts in every single study group, and he's the one that has it. If you're familiar with moving inside of the learning network than just go to his Document folder and you'll see it listed there. That version of Java is pretty hard to get your hands on via the net from what I know.

If you need any other instructions finding it just PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Did you ever get it working?

It's kinda funny, but figuring out how to get SDM working was the most difficult part of CCNA/CCNA:Security studying for me.

I was able to get a formula of JAVA/SDM/IE that worked for me.

Did you consider uninstalling your SDM completely, rebooting, then reinstalling your SDM to see if it works now (since you've already tried changing your Java?)

Did you consider setting your browser to defaults and then trying again?

I'm not sure if you use this computer for other things, or if you just popped up an XP VM (which I did) and run the GNS3/SDM inside the virtual machine. As I used the VM, it was a single purpose VM, and there aren't other potentially conflicting softwares on the system.

Also, did you consider permissions? Maybe try running it as administrator, and see if it works any better in that case?

Hopefully, one of these ideas helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Thank you everyone so far.

I have not gotten it to work yet. I am in the process of joining the Cisoc learning network and looking there. I have been trying combinations of things that people are saying work for them, except IOS version. I am using one that is on Ciscos compatability list though, 3620, but I have version 12.1, they are saying 12.2 or later, I guess that is my problem. But, SDM is not saying the IOS is not compatable as it does with a couple of other IOS's that I have tried.

I have several collections of IOS's and this is the only one in them that is supposed to be compatible. Can anyone point me to a source for compatible IOS's? ( Preferably before I drink myself to death, and I don't even drink. ) I've googled until I have passed out, literally fell asleep one night looking.

Yes, this has to be the hardest part of this exam.
    Well, I just installed Java 1.6.10, still hanging up.

Thank you SdotLow for pointing me to that, looks like lots of interesting stuff there on that website.

I would like to try a different IOS if I can find one that is compatible.
    I'm on to something, finally. I found another IOS c3640-IS-M 12.2(23), SDM works, but when I click on the firewall/acl button and vpn button it says the IOS does not support them.

I found some other IOS's, I guess I will have to wade through them one at a time.

I guess you can find anything if you google long enough, use the right search terms and the stars are lined up favorably. At least I don't have to be able to read Russian.

Thanks again.
    Glad it helped. The Cisco learning network is a little tucked away, but such a valuable resource. A lot of the guys that help those in study groups are CCIE and / or just really smart people that have been playing with Cisco stuff for a long time. It's another valuable resource to have at your disposal.
    Well, the IOS that was compatible with SDM , but doesn't support all the features, is the closest I have gotten to getting this to work. I guess there are some things I can do with it, I will do what I can with it. I have been assuming that I needed everything to work in it. Time to actually start doing labs and see.

I spent all day Saturday from the time I got up, about 7:00am till about 9:00pm working on this. I finally needed a break and cracked open a beer and had some pizza. And then again most of the day Sunday. I have been trying IOS after IOS thinking "maybe this next one will work", ( with all the features. )

I think it is time to draw the line and move on, life its too short. I have seen a couple of people say that you don't really need the hands on practice with the SDM to pass the test. I will proceed on that premise. I'm hoping that having some features working will be better than none.

Thanks again everyone.