Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Just remember guys....the deal was to be done with TWA1, and Capstone, if my memory serves me right..... :) Either way, it looks like tonight will be the night I burn the midnight oil.

While you burn that midnight oil, are you planning to expand and submit your TWA1 paper as a capstone paper later on after passing the TWA1 assessment?
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    For you guys working on the capstone and tech writing I used open project for both my timeline and gantt chart. It is really easy to use and is similar to MS project and it is free.

OpenProj - Project Management | Download OpenProj - Project Management software for free at SourceForge.net
    WGU grad
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While you burn that midnight oil, are you planning to expand and submit your TWA1 paper as a capstone paper later on after passing the TWA1 assessment?

I'm not even looking at what I have to do for Capstone until my paper is finished. And by finished, I mean graded with a pass from Taskstream.

From what I understand with the Capstone, it is based on your proposal that was sent with Tech Writing. It's just that now you are going through with you proposal.

In other words, it's akin to being a vendor that's responding to an RFP with my proposal. Taskstream for TWA is acceptance to that RFP (I get graded with a Pass for TWA). Capstone is the implementation of the project to success. From my understanding, it takes about a couple of days to tweak the paper properly so that the timelines/project makes sense.

Much of this will make sense after you've gone through Project+ (or...work for a shop that does IT projects using a PM methodology). The main difference is writing this out academically....with APA formatting and the like.
  • Options
    I'm not even looking at what I have to do for Capstone until my paper is finished. And by finished, I mean graded with a pass from Taskstream.

From what I understand with the Capstone, it is based on your proposal that was sent with Tech Writing. It's just that now you are going through with you proposal.

In other words, it's akin to being a vendor that's responding to an RFP with my proposal. Taskstream for TWA is acceptance to that RFP (I get graded with a Pass for TWA). Capstone is the implementation of the project to success. From my understanding, it takes about a couple of days to tweak the paper properly so that the timelines/project makes sense.

Much of this will make sense after you've gone through Project+ (or...work for a shop that does IT projects using a PM methodology). The main difference is writing this out academically....with APA formatting and the like.

Alright. Thanks for the insight, Erp. I read posts from others that said they used some of the stuff from their technical writing and implement it to their capstone. I just want to get a better idea how I can do both papers the quickest way possible, because writing papers aren't my strength. I would like to keep my writing to a minimum if you get my drift. icon_lol.gif But each to his own, I understand some of you want to seriously spend some time with the project since you may not be in a rush to do so, and would like to use that valuable time to prepare for graduate-level coursework for grad school at B&M after graduation. Now I would have to start thinking about what I want to write in advance. I had some idea, but I want to save that thought for my MSISA capstone since it involves a lot of personal lab experiments.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I received a sample paper that discusses data de-duplication. (Something I might have to personally look into as our data growth is taking a toll on our tape backups, but that's another headache for another time....)

He basically uses a simple gant chart with a task name, duration, start and end times for columns. (nothing fancy and I was grateful for that...I don't even need to use MS Project).

If you need the sample paper, PM me your email. His format is very straightforward and I am following that for my own paper. (My topic is completely different from data de-dupes...not even going to tie that in, though a backup mechanism probably should be mentioned....but I could just do D2T like I do in real life.)

I'm almost at goal and objectives in my paper. I don't think I'm gonna be done even with a BS draft to send to taskstream.

Just remember guys....the deal was to be done with TWA1, and Capstone, if my memory serves me right..... :) Either way, it looks like tonight will be the night I burn the midnight oil.

Same sample paper I was sent. Must be a generic paper sent to all in IT. The Gantt is not mentioned in the rubic so I'm bypassing it. My paper is 28 pages now with everything, so I need to trim it a bit. Writing has always been easy for me, but sometimes I get carried away. My mentor told me if the TWA is thorough, the capstone is a breeze. Its just writing the execution\control\closure phases of your project.

BTW, I do remember it as both the capstone and tech paper. (not ganging up on you themagicone icon_rolleyes.gif)
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »
    Same sample paper I was sent. Must be a generic paper sent to all in IT. The Gantt is not mentioned in the rubic so I'm bypassing it. My paper is 28 pages now with everything, so I need to trim it a bit. Writing has always been easy for me, but sometimes I get carried away. My mentor told me if the TWA is thorough, the capstone is a breeze. Its just writing the execution\control\closure phases of your project.

BTW, I do remember it as both the capstone and tech paper. (not ganging up on you themagicone icon_rolleyes.gif)

That Gannt chart that's on pages 19-20 is pretty much what I'm going to use. (the columns, not the tasks....lol). If you use that, you should be fine for that rubric. I'm more than half way done with my paper though.

That paper really helped me out with the format. I had to sit down and figure out what I writing. Books 24x7 even has the book I need and I have it on my Droid Charge as I type this.

http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com

One silly question....do I have to "sign" my name on the cover sheet, or will typing it do? If I have to sign it, does my entire paper then need to be in PDF? How are you guys doing that?
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone! I've just started the admission process and I chose to do the database program. This month I completed an AAS in Systems Administration, so it will be transferring in along with a CCENT. It looks like my start date will be October 1st.

Currently, I'm unemployed and trying to break into IT with only a six month internship for experience. In the month and a half in between my official start date, I'm working on getting the desktop support certification (70-685) that goes with the wgu required 70-680 to make the mcitp desktop support whatever in order to help me break into IT.

The reasoning for me to choose the database track is that I feel it would be good to learn many different technologies and pick up a little programming experience. During my studies for my AAS I was exposed to a lot on cisco, some about windows administration and a little linux. I thought about doing the other tracks, mainly the security and mcitp EA track, but I'm not sure if focusing in those directions would help me any more than learning a bit of programming, SQL and database fundamentals.

Anyway, I'll try to update people as to what to expect and how everything goes in the database program, as it seems to be not as popular as the others. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm gonna praise the Perl with you! icon_cheers.gif Althought, I'm not familiar with it yet (I dunno why), but I plan to get that stuff down in the near future once I do my Linux+ study. I plan to master Perl, sed, and AWK once I began working on it.

While on vacation a few months back, I decided to cart some Perl ebooks along. I knew I would have a tough time working on Java while on vacation, and wanted to make progress on something. CIW was about to shut down the Master CIW whatever, and I thought I might be able to squeeze that in with just two exams left, Perl and Systems. Turned out I was wrong (too much to learn on Perl), but I came away with a healthy respect for Perl that has informed my Java programming-- that is, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). CIW also has a Web Developer cert I could wrap just by taking the Perl exam, so I'm hoping to maybe take a crack at that later this year.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    That Gannt chart that's on pages 19-20 is pretty much what I'm going to use. (the columns, not the tasks....lol). If you use that, you should be fine for that rubric. I'm more than half way done with my paper though.

That paper really helped me out with the format. I had to sit down and figure out what I writing. Books 24x7 even has the book I need and I have it on my Droid Charge as I type this.

http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com

One silly question....do I have to "sign" my name on the cover sheet, or will typing it do? If I have to sign it, does my entire paper then need to be in PDF? How are you guys doing that?

No it does not need to be signed. Now... that drink thing... Yes tech/cap But anyways... There is a part missing. You need to write the proposal, do the project THEN write capstone. You do need to include some type of proof of completion or work. It just isn't write tech, write cap and be done. Well, unless you already did a project that you can use. Myself, I don't have anything so I'm stuck writing 3 papers - Tech, Project, Cap. Now how much of the Project paper I fudge is a different story.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    No it does not need to be signed. Now... that drink thing... Yes tech/cap But anyways... There is a part missing. You need to write the proposal, do the project THEN write capstone. You do need to include some type of proof of completion or work. It just isn't write tech, write cap and be done. Well, unless you already did a project that you can use. Myself, I don't have anything so I'm stuck writing 3 papers - Tech, Project, Cap. Now how much of the Project paper I fudge is a different story.

That can't be right; I was involved in the project I'm writing about, but it wasn't mine.... (even though I helped come up with most of those tasks...)

When you say "Project" in "Tech, Project, Cap" is the project part of Capstone, or Tech Writing? If I have to do an additional step, I don't mind that....but it's whatever.

BTW, it was for both writing classes, brother (and like N2L, it's not a harping on.... :) ) Just keeping things honest. [btw, win, lose or draw I'm hoping we're all there.....as soon as capstone is over, I'm buying my tickets...I already have the dates I want to be down there--Feb 08-Feb 13.] The dates are flexible, but I want to put in some Hotlanta time before the ceremony.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu-114.html#post551231
  • Options
    That can't be right; I was involved in the project I'm writing about, but it wasn't mine.... (even though I helped come up with most of those tasks...)

When you say "Project" in "Tech, Project, Cap" is the project part of Capstone, or Tech Writing? If I have to do an additional step, I don't mind that....but it's whatever.

BTW, it was for both writing classes, brother (and like N2L, it's not a harping on.... :) ) Just keeping things honest. [btw, win, lose or draw I'm hoping we're all there.....as soon as capstone is over, I'm buying my tickets...I already have the dates I want to be down there--Feb 08-Feb 13.] The dates are flexible, but I want to put in some Hotlanta time before the ceremony.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu-114.html#post551231

Better check with Dave. I'm confuzled right now. The proposal is what you're going to do, Capstone is after you completed the work outlined in the proposal. What did you do, what went wrong, what when right, etc. You need to attach deliverables to the capstone if applicable.

My understanding was you had to do a project of your own, that you propose in tech. Then complete the project and then complete capstone. Without knowing your exact topic or project I can't really say what is right or wrong. I'm going to check with Dave on mine.

https://web5.wgu.edu/aap/content/BS-CIS%20&%20BS-IT%20Capstone%20Schedule%20Planning%20Check%20List.xls (might need to be signed into WGU)

"Execute Capstone Project Plan as Described in Your Proposal"

Not saying you're idea won't work, you designed a project before and it was completed. Just don't want to see you hit a road block and have to start over.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    Not saying you're idea won't work, you designed a project before and it was completed. Just don't want to see you hit a road block and have to start over.

Golly gee, that was exactly what I was afraid of. I'm thankful for reading this thread in advance before I even get started. The tough thing is that we can't come up with a quick, short project in little time if we are in a rush to graduate.
  • Options
    Golly gee, that was exactly what I was afraid of. I'm thankful for reading this thread in advance before I even get started. The tough thing is that we can't come up with a quick, short project in little time if we are in a rush to graduate.

From your list of classes you have left, you're not even close to dealing with this personally for awhile. Concentrate on knocking out your remaining classes on your sig and don't even worry about the last classes....otherwise you will become overwhelmed (don't be that guy!)

I can promise you that all three of us will have this figured out and completed before you even finish your programming classes.

@Themagicone, we're doing a PeopleSoft upgrade at my shop, but I'm basing my proposal on a new implementation. I'm most likely on the same route you're on to finish that and I am reviewing both my notes and case studies of other shops. If I were to base my capstone on my current project, I wouldn't graduate until next year (upgrades are not merely upgrade the infrastructure and done...a lot of that is based on user acceptance testing, and that can take a good while by itself). That's what had me worried; about sending them proof and such of completion.
  • Options
    From your list of classes you have left, you're not even close to dealing with this personally for awhile. Concentrate on knocking out your remaining classes on your sig and don't even worry about the last classes....otherwise you will become overwhelmed (don't be that guy!)

I can promise you that all three of us will have this figured out and completed before you even finish your programming classes.

Erp, for the courses in my sig, I haven't even attempted to go through them other than the BSV1 course I'm working on now. My goal is not to cram and pass. I would like to learn everything I need to know on CCNA, so I can prepare myself for a job interview soon after I finish my current internship. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself, but I just would like a better idea and planning in advance, so that once I finished all the courses beside the final project courses, I can get started on it seamlessly without having to juggle many things at once. I guess I should have shut my trap, but we know time fly by very quickly, and I can't help sitting down and wait since I will be at it before I even realize it.

Just wondering, did you finish all the MS courses in your sig?
  • Options
    Better check with Dave. I'm confuzled right now. The proposal is what you're going to do, Capstone is after you completed the work outlined in the proposal. What did you do, what went wrong, what when right, etc. You need to attach deliverables to the capstone if applicable.

My understanding was you had to do a project of your own, that you propose in tech. Then complete the project and then complete capstone. Without knowing your exact topic or project I can't really say what is right or wrong. I'm going to check with Dave on mine.

https://web5.wgu.edu/aap/content/BS-CIS%20&%20BS-IT%20Capstone%20Schedule%20Planning%20Check%20List.xls (might need to be signed into WGU)

"Execute Capstone Project Plan as Described in Your Proposal"

This area needs clarification. IMO, the capstone project completion phase is the execute\control phase of the project. The capstone report writing phase is the closure phase

My proposal was a project we finished a couple months ago. It was never formatted as an official project but I was involved from the beginning and had full control, meaning that I was in essence the project manager (and IT support), till it ended successfully.

I reasoned that I could take the job notes, manuals and emails, and being intimately familiar with the entire project, formalize it with goals, objectives, and timelines. As for executing the project as described, it is complete and the deliverable in place.

If you are doing a current project, especially one that has an extended timeline, you can't realistically have a deliverable in the time frame of a college paper. I believe you have to estimate the execution and control, including issues and risks, then document them in the closure.
  • Options
    Erp, for the courses in my sig, I haven't even attempted to go through them other than the BSV1 course I'm working on now. My goal is not to cram and pass. I would like to learn everything I need to know on CCNA, so I can prepare myself for a job interview soon after I finish my current internship. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself, but I just would like a better idea and planning in advance, so that once I finished all the courses beside the final project courses, I can get started on it seamlessly without having to juggle many things at once. I guess I should have shut my trap, but we know time fly by very quickly, and I can't help sitting down and wait since I will be at it before I even realize it.

Just wondering, did you finish all the MS courses in your sig?

The answer to that question is in my sig. My MS courses are in red and what that corresponds to is on my cert list (or will be... :) ). The only certs I don't have listed are my CIW certs (however, the courses for them are on my win column... :) ).

IMO, you are probably not going to finish all of those CUs by the end of this term. Especially if you're trying not to accelerate quickly. That's not a terrible deal, but I figure you ought to hear it from someone who cares and has done this WGU thing for over a year. For example, you still got LET1 to do and all you have to do for that is answer questions based on what's on the LET1 book in the APA format. Not to mention that Project+ is a difficult enough cert because it's not a mere IT certification. The subject matter is quite complex, but if you read the Sybex PK0-003 it is a better deal (though be prepared to have a lot of coffee near you when you start that).

Just between you and me though, I was able to accelerate enough without killing myself because I had scheduled what I wanted to do in advance....and most of the classes I took (if not all) I was very comfortable with (including the dreaded math...but even that got done in my timeline).

Worry about what's on your plate now, my friend.

FYI, I will be taking my second exam next Saturday. (70-642) Doing the one exam a month plan....reading what I need to bone up for every few hours while working on my paper. The paper had to get started this month.
  • Options
    Well my proposal was a white paper and slide show on basic security concepts and a framework for a security policy. I was planning on researching and writing it, etc. But how much do I have to do for the capstone? Will I need to actually attach the whitepaper? Humm... Things need clarification.

BTW if anyone is wondering:

"The section for the Rational and Systems Analysis is intended to be for the description of the need for the project and the specific methods chosen to accomplish it. For example, if my project was to create a database to manage a CRM tool I would explain the need for the database. I would also provide an analysis of the current systems and what may need to be updated. So if I were creating the database and I chose to use SQL over Oracle will I need to do anything specific with the systems I have available?"
  • Options
    "The section for the Rational and Systems Analysis is intended to be for the description of the need for the project and the specific methods chosen to accomplish it. For example, if my project was to create a database to manage a CRM tool I would explain the need for the database. I would also provide an analysis of the current systems and what may need to be updated. So if I were creating the database and I chose to use SQL over Oracle will I need to do anything specific with the systems I have available?"

You would have to do a cost analysis as well.

In an nutshell answer these:

How big will your CRM database be?

What infrastructure are you using to support your CRM environment?

What are the licensing costs involved with Microsoft SQL Server? Oracle? Compare and constrast the two.
    a) What level of vendor support will be included in your licensing costs.

That should point you on the right path. :)

I can tell you right now that Microsoft SQL Server is way cheaper than Oracle. BUT....that's not going to fly if your database is on some *Nix flavor.....(Oracle tends to be preferred in *Nix shops).

If the infrastructure will end up being cheaper based on your given environment, that's what you sell to the organization.
  • Options
    Uggg I hate TaskStream. When I first started WGU it would only take a few hours to get graded. Now, it's around 4-5 days! My proposal hasn't even be picked up yet. And student services won't do nothing until it has been a like 5 days.
  • Options
    Uggg I hate TaskStream. When I first started WGU it would only take a few hours to get graded. Now, it's around 4-5 days! My proposal hasn't even be picked up yet. And student services won't do nothing until it has been a like 5 days.

Well, my paper is now done. Review everything tomorrow and trim it back from 27 pages to about 20-22 pages. Hope to have it in by late tomorrow night or sometime Monday at the latest. Then wait ...............

Taskstream is like the stock market, up and down. I've had papers back in a few hours and others take several days. I'm sure that once its grabbed it will return quickly and you can move on.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138

My recent submissions have taken roughly 24 hrs which have been nice, but that is through the teachers college. The grader pool might be different.

Btw, this is a nice article about graders:
    https://chronicle.com/article/To-Justify-Every-A-Some/128528
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    I got my task back!!!! I passed on the first try!!!! WOW!!! TWA1 is complete! ONE MORE CLASS!!!
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I got my task back!!!! I passed on the first try!!!! WOW!!! TWA1 is complete! ONE MORE CLASS!!!

Congratulations, man. Nice work.
  • Options

With all due admiration and respect...this is one time I wish we could trade places....

Congratulations....Capstone should be a breeeze for you.

N2L, looks like it's you and me....I can't see themagicone or you not having both items done before me. Though I'm on overdrive now.
  • Options
    With all due admiration and respect...this is one time I wish we could trade places....

Congratulations....Capstone should be a breeeze for you.

N2L, looks like it's you and me....I can't see themagicone or you not having both items done before me. Though I'm on overdrive now.

Problem is that I have to complete my project, which is another paper. You have pretty much everything done so you can go straight from tech to cap. Well, that's what I'm thinking. I'm waiting on clarification from Dave.

BTW I got 3.33/4.00
  • Options
    Problem is that I have to complete my project, which is another paper. You have pretty much everything done so you can go straight from tech to cap. Well, that's what I'm thinking. I'm waiting on clarification from Dave.

BTW I got 3.33/4.00

So...another week then? :D

Part of what's been real slow is that I have to define the business reasons for going to an ERP. If I would have just gone straight to the infrastructure, my paper would not have made any sense. After "Rationale and Systems Analysis" I should be pretty much be ready for Taskstream myself. Between Google and access to my ERP's user group, I have scores of information that I have to then condense and sound all business-like (and of course, cited....) In a way, that's kind of good, because this is my proof to show that I could sell to an employer that I can run an implementation, as opposed to merely being a "resource."

I'll say this much though, using that data de-dupe paper as a template has been a huge help. Can't wait until I start Capstone.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my mentor still wont let me do tech/cap till the end

i may ask her if i can do it before windows 7 but the ans will prob be no
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options

Congrats. I'm 98% done with the TWA. Going over it now and hope to post within the next few hours. Good Luck

Update: Just posted it. So now wait. Does the Capstone have a sample like the TWA? That would be helpful since the sample from the TWA was a fantastic resource. I have prodded my mentor to open the taskstream and then I'll contact the course mentor when the TWA passes.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Argh, just took 70-680 and got a 610. It seemed pretty easy as I was going along. Try again next monday I guess.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    Argh, just took 70-680 and got a 610. It seemed pretty easy as I was going along. Try again next monday I guess.

Sorry to hear that, I hear it's a beast. Then again I also hear it's easy. Getting conflicting reports from people that take it. I do know I won't underestimate it when it's my time to do it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.