CCIE as my personal Mt. Everest

hkechoeshkechoes Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all,

This is my first post here. After working IT majoring in server & Unix for some years, I think it's time to give myself something challenging to do.

10 years ago I got CCNP before but afterwards my jobs were not quite related into cisco networking. Instead I stepped into the Linux things and now I am (still) doing the server, Unix and operation stuffs within an investment firm in Hong Kong.

Network support is my 2nd-priority job task, hence now I have all enable passwords for the cisco gears inside the company where I'm working in, though I'm not using them frequently.

Being a CCIE was my weirdest technology dream before, and I think now it's my last chance to realize it - now I'm 40, married but still don't have a child.

I'd try to lay down a concrete plan for this goal. Hope in Jul/Aug 2012 I can pass the CCIE written, and one year later I really get my 5-digit number.

Here is my plan (and resource)

6 Aug 2011 - CCNA R&S passed (score 881).
now - going for CCNP Switch exam, target do that in early Oct - Reading the Foundation learning guide + Cert. guide now
Nov 2011 - CCNP Route exam
Dec 2011 - CCNP TSHOOT
Jan-Apr 2012 - CCIP exams (QoS, BGP, MPLS) - that's not really necessary but helps in learning those stuffs.
Jul-Aug 2012 - IE Written.

I shall try my best to set aside 15 hours per week (1-2 in weekdays, remaining in weekend) in studying...

Posting here is to mean seeking some help and encouragement... and help myself to keep the spirit on. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums and I hope you stick around!!

As you have probably seen, there are plenty of people on this forum that are seeking the CCIE moniker, it's a good idea to go through their blogs, even if it was just for the motivation. Do you have a lab of your own or are you going to rent rack time?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • hkechoeshkechoes Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums and I hope you stick around!!

As you have probably seen, there are plenty of people on this forum that are seeking the CCIE moniker, it's a good idea to go through their blogs, even if it was just for the motivation. Do you have a lab of your own or are you going to rent rack time?

For the lab thing, I'd prefer rent rack time.. but also looking for affordable gears too. For current NP studies, I'm also considering the cisco learning labs - don't mind too much for paying US$75 for 25 hours to do labs now.

Also try to run GNS3/dynampis within my shiny new Core i7 macbook pro icon_cheers.gif

books going to buy...
    - INE workbook bundle.. (is it too early for me to get them now?)
    - Odom's CCIE cert guide
    - Network warrior 2/edition

At a point I'd quite interested in Boson's Netsim 8 for CCNP, but I couldn't decide if that worth the price tag ($349 usd...) for just a 'simulator' but not something real.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Goodluck!
    10 years ago I got CCNP before but afterwards my jobs were not quite related into cisco networking. Instead I stepped into the Linux things and now I am (still) doing the server, Unix and operation stuffs within an investment firm in Hong Kong.

Network support is my 2nd-priority job task, hence now I have all enable passwords for the cisco gears inside the company where I'm working in, though I'm not using them frequently.

It seems that you are not really doing networking. According to you, you are more on systems. I dont get why you are trying to get CCIE. Is it because you want to make more money and you don't see the money on what your doing?

Why not take RHCE or MCITP:EA or MCM?
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Goodluck!

It seems that you are not really doing networking. According to you, you are more on systems. I dont get why you are trying to get CCIE. Is it because you want to make more money and you don't see the money on what your doing?

Why not take RHCE or MCITP:EA or MCM?

Microsoft certs not in my cup anymore. I did that 15 years ago for NT 3.51, and now I'm not working with Windows servers. As I'm working with Unix/Linux for nearly a decade, it's no turning back.

Linux certs I did LPIC 1 & 2, so redhat certs are redundant for me.

As for money issue, I don't think so. In my area, an in-experienced CCIE will make less money then currently what I'm doing.

So the real reason to do this is... fulfill something that I did dreamed before getting too old.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    hkechoes wrote: »
    Microsoft certs not in my cup anymore. I did that 15 years ago for NT 3.51, and now I'm not working with Windows servers. As I'm working with Unix/Linux for nearly a decade, it's no turning back.

Linux certs I did LPIC 1 & 2, so redhat certs are redundant for me.

As for money issue, I don't think so. In my area, an in-experienced CCIE will make less money then currently what I'm doing.

So the real reason to do this is... fulfill something that I did dreamed before getting too old.
    Interesting and weird but if thats your cup of tea then do it. I just see that you are wasting your time with CCIE if you have Unix/Linux experience. I still think RHCE will get you in a better pay scale.. Im guessing your at HK?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Interesting and weird but if thats your cup of tea then do it. I just see that you are wasting your time with CCIE if you have Unix/Linux experience. I still think RHCE will get you in a better pay scale.. Im guessing your at HK?

Why not do both? RHCE/RHCA and CCIE would be killer.
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Man go with heart,if that is what your heart desire there is nothing bad going for it.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not do both? RHCE/RHCA and CCIE would be killer.

wow, that would be a great combo. I've seen a lot of jobs asking for networking guys with Linux/Unix experience. That should be quite a pay off financially.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    wow, that would be a great combo. I've seen a lot of jobs asking for networking guys with Linux/Unix experience. That should be quite a pay off financially.

Immerse myself into networking is something brings me satisfaction and positive feeling - by learning something new and special every day, and not looking into the money matter in so early.

Today I've spent about 3 hours in reading STP and MST - through the "SWITCH foundation learning guide" book. Should have allocated 6 hours but there was some required weekend company event today.

There are some advices here to "read regularly - no matter how busy on a particular day, spend at least 0.5 hours in learning", and no hurry for actual exams. I will follow that, keep the habit and spirit.

For CCNP right now, I'd no hurry in taking exams, so that I will read SWITCH & ROUTE materials in the same period - go with a few chapters in SWITCH, then a few chapters in ROUTE and back on. All of these things will be tested in later IE written & lab exams anyways, so it's good to start early studying mixed topics.

Back to regular work tomorrow, some server performance issues are waiting for me icon_rolleyes.gif

OK, I should start a counter here :)
    CCNP SWITCH: (read: 10; lab 0)
    CCNP ROUTE: (read: 0; lab: 0)
    5 more hours reading in STP port/loop/root guard stuffs...

Knowing that the details in "Foundation Learning Guide" books are more than those needed by actual CCNP exams, hence it's good for me to use them.

Also wwaiting for my credit card renewal, then I can purchase some lab time from Cisco and buy INE workbook.. hopefully can start this weekend or early next week.

--
    CCNP SWITCH: (read: 15; lab 0)
    Getting GNS3 running on my Mac, using 3560 router + switch module for exercising switch commands.

In this setup, need 'vlan database' commands to add new VLANs.

Found a bug (?) in the foundation learning guide, about the placement of root/loop guard within a diagram. Also start reading inter-VLAN routing section.

I hope I can devote more time on this..

--
    CCNP SWITCH: (read: 18; lab 0.5)
    Working with the limited GNS switch lab (3560 router + switch module) for some more time - realized that I have to access real switches.

I can do CCNA-level switching commands (switchport mode trunk, single-instance spanning tree etc) and make etherchannel in PAgP mode only. It couldn't do private VLANs, and VTP, PVSTP+ seems not working in the way that how the exam books described.

Went out last weekend, headed to computer shopping center for seeking used equipment, but no 3550/3560 avail.

The SWITCH lab in cisco learning labs seems is the temporary way to go now.

Also watched some good notes over the web:
    InterVLAN routing:
    CCNP SWITCH 642-813 :: Inter-VLAN Routing
    Private VLAN:
    Private VLANs Revisited | CCIE Blog

--
    CCNP SWITCH: (read: 20; lab 3.5)
    Just keep reading &/or labbing daily, about 2 hours per day. Focus on SWITCH material first and shall take the SWITCH exam on mid-Oct.

Checked out the various rank rental options. Gigivelocity have 3-hour sessions that may better suit my timezone and schedules, for doing INE workbook 1 labs.

Tomorrow have a 5-day short wedding anniversary trip with wife icon_wink.gif will also bring something relevant to read on plane.

--
    CCNP SWITCH: (read: 30; lab 9)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    5 days away with your wife on an anniversary? Enjoy. Avoid talking too much Cisco while you are away with her and dont overdo the reading either. She's in for a lot of solitude while you slog away on your labwork the next 12 months.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hkechoes wrote: »
    hi all,

This is my first post here. After working IT majoring in server & Unix for some years, I think it's time to give myself something challenging to do.

Being a CCIE was my weirdest technology dream before, and I think now it's my last chance to realize it - now I'm 40, married but still don't have a child.

I'd try to lay down a concrete plan for this goal. Hope in Jul/Aug 2012 I can pass the CCIE written, and one year later I really get my 5-digit number.

Here is my plan (and resource)

6 Aug 2011 - CCNA R&S passed (score 881).
    now - going for CCNP Switch exam, target do that in early Oct - Reading the Foundation learning guide + Cert. guide now
    Nov 2011 - CCNP Route exam
    Dec 2011 - CCNP TSHOOT
    Jan-Apr 2012 - CCIP exams (QoS, BGP, MPLS) - that's not really necessary but helps in learning those stuffs.
    Jul-Aug 2012 - IE Written.

I shall try my best to set aside 15 hours per week (1-2 in weekdays, remaining in weekend) in studying...

Posting here is to mean seeking some help and encouragement... and help myself to keep the spirit on. icon_wink.gif

Happy New Year! How are your studies going?